How to convert from hid to halogen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by repnatl, Aug 11, 2017.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Matt, still looking forward to some pics.

2. zanadu

zanadu New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Wanted to thank Texas Hybrid Batteries, that diagram is spot on. Used the power from the HID high beam mirror motor for the 5 pin relays I wired in. Everything turned out great. Bought the housings on ebay, the covers for the H4 bulbs from the dealer using part # previously mentioned. The relays, relay plugs, and H4 pigtails on amazon. Everything works awesome!

I recommend using a DMM to correctly identify your 12V inputs and labeling them so you don't wire the relay incorrectly and blow fuses.

Attached Files:

3. joeslawn

joeslawn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you to Texas Hybrid Batteries for the diagram. I used a power probe to verify my feeds, and I would like to note that the diagram is incorrect as far as the H4 wiring. Black out of a H4 is ground. Yellow and red are the high and low beams- check your own to verify. It is fairly easy to switch yellow and red feeds if you mess it up though.

4. KSN

KSN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I too have struggled and hated the HIDs since 08 when I bought this car new. After my wife experienced the “total blackout edition” one night coming home, I tried 3 different bulbs and once replaced the ballasts. Still after a short time the HIDs let me down.
    I researched and settled on putting some cheap EBAY leds in there and they were acceptable for a couple years.
    My wife recently complained they were too dim, and since the lenses had been polished out twice before I decided on trying this “downgrade” since I needed to pop for some new housings anyway.
    Well the light dispersion is awful, are you guys having this issue also? Maybe I bought the wrong reflectors, but I actually bought every part linked in this thread.

very disappointed:(

Also the wiring seems undersized, my low beam is pretty dim, high beams on in this picture.

Attached Files:

#24 KSN, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, I have to agree that is pretty awful and points to something being amiss. Wrong housing, or just a poor quality housing???

6. Steves gf drives a 2004

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Matt,
    I followed the directions to a "T" and it worked great... sortof. The lights work fine now, but when I switch to brights they get super dim. I believe I may have just made a mistake in how I wired it up. I am not too good with electrical schematics, so I was hoping you or someone else could tell me, based on the description of what is wrong, what I did wrong when I was doing the wiring. What do you think?
    -Steve

7. Austin Mueller

Austin Mueller New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    About to take the venture into converting to halogens. Some mixed outcomes from following Texas Hybrid Batteries way of doing it? Almost want to go with the original DIY's way of just having both highs and lows on at the same time. Yo Texas HB where you at with advice to save us

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a bad idea.

Wire it as per THB's post #20