1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usnavystgc, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Reilly

Reilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just had a very weird experience with this (including the car dying and rolling backwards!).

I was replacing my silver logo SKS for my 2008 Prius bought from a legitimate site online. Everything went well up until Step 9C where I push the lock button on the new FOB. When I did that it locked/unlocked the doors 3 times. I thought this meant that it worked! But after opening/closing the door to end the programming, I tried the lock/unlock buttons and nothing. Same with keyless entry. But I could insert the new key to start the car so at least that worked.

I read that some people had to do Step 9B twice (press and hold the lock/unlock buttons on the new FOB) so I gave that a try and the same thing happened. Then I tried it again, this time putting the FOB in after all the steps as opposed to opening/closing the door. Still nothing.

A little later I went to go drive the car and was going to use my old FOB that still worked. The lock/unlock buttons didn't appear to be working right. They would kind of make a stuttering noise and eventually stopped doing anything and the car died.

I jumped the car with a small battery jump starter, the car came to life and I inserted the old FOB into the key holder and tried to turn on the car. All of the lights on the dash lit up and I noticed that there was a message on the display screen. It said something about how "There was a problem..." but then the car died and I couldn't read it. I tried jumping it again - with no luck.

Then when I was standing outside of the car about 30 seconds later, it made a little noise and started to roll down my driveway in reverse (there's a small decline in the driveway and it started to pick up speed). I jumped in, hit the brake and put on the emergency brake.

Now the car has been sitting in my driveway, completely dead (no blinking lights on the dash). I tried using the jump starter again with no luck.

Anybody seen something like this before?

2. Reilly

Reilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I was able to jump the car and get it started again. Figured it might have just had a low battery, so I drove it around for awhile and all seemed good.

I found another post on here with updated instructions for Steps 9-10 and was going to attempt to try it again.

I made it to Step 7 where I hit the power button, but the car died again (all the lights went off and the check engine light was very faint and then eventually went out). I used the battery jumper to give it a little power and I was able to see the warning message on the display. It said " Caution. There is a problem with the transmission "P" lock mechanism. Park your car on a flat surface and fully apply the parking brake". After jumping the Prius with another car, the message disappeared and everything was back to normal.

I guess I'll take the key to the toyota dealership and see if they can program it for me. Does anyone know if they would be doing the same method I've tried or would they be using a computer to program it?

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seeing as you clearly have 12 V battery issues, get the battery checked and/or charged and/or replaced before trying anymore programming. You don't want to brick your new key fob because you ran out of power halfway through the process.

Once you have established you have a good working 12 V battery (or acquired a new one), then have another go at the programming.

Another idea would be to put the 12 V battery on the charger while you do the programming, and then you should not run out of power.

PS Start using your parking brake, that is what it is for.

#603 dolj, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  4. Reilly

Reilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Dolj! You're right, my battery has been acting up lately. I will get a new one this week and give the programming another go.

And yes - that was my fault on the parking brake. I do use it every time I park but had disengaged it when I thought the car was working earlier.

5. jeremnyc

jeremnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a working SKS and attempted the chicken dance. I think everything went well till the end when I pressed the wrong button. Now, the original SKS no longer has SKS functionality. It has to be pushed into the dash... both keys lock and unlock the car and will start it in the slot. Ideas? I posted this to a new thread a while back, but never received a reply.

Here's my December 1 post with the details:
    I performed the chicken dance and my new fob works for starting the car (in the slot) and locking/unlocking using the remote keys. The old (was a functioning smart key before chicken dance) no longer functions as a smart key. It will also lock and unlock the doors and will start the car when inserted into the slot. The new key was completely new and should have taken the "codes." I believe...I made a mistake :cry: in the programming and hit the unlock instead of lock as the step 9 of the chicken dance...and I really hope this wasn't an irreversible error. (From what I read on the forum, it seems like removing keys is not part of the chicken dance functionality, but I am writing to inquire.)

I have read the forum in search of similar issues and will start with the following:
    1. replace CR2032 battery in old fob (It was replaced recently, so I am skeptical this will work)
    2. press smart key button 2x under the dash.

Does anyone have additional thoughts? I get the blinking red key icon when I enter the car. When you try to start, you get the yellow key warning (similar to what I would see if I left the car running in the past and exited the car while running.)

2008 Prius.

Thanks

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pressing the smart key button twice merely puts it into the position it was in originally. Kind of like walking up to a locked door, unlocking it, then locking it, and then trying to open it.......

The button has two positions...in and out. It must be in the "out" position for sks to work...

7. JasonE

JasonE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello all,

I just bought a 2007 Prius - it's my first Prius I've owned, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by just how different it is.
    Unfortunately, due to the age, it only came to me with one key, and that key is pretty beat up.
    I saw that you could replace the case, but I don't dare do that without first making sure I have another key in case I damage the electronics!
    However...I assure you, I wouldn't have bought a 13-year-old car with 224,000 miles on it if I had a lot of free cash available, and therefore I don't really know if I can spring for the cost of a key at a dealer.

Has anyone tried the chicken dance with an after-market Prius key?
    I skimmed through a lot of this thread and didn't see mention of it but might have missed it, this is a long thread.
    The forum won't let me post a link, but the after-market key I found is from a web site called "car and truck remotes". The site says it's an equivalent to Toyota part number 89994-47061 (which is how I found it - I googled the part number), which I believe is the right key for my Prius. I know it'll only save me about half the cost of a key from the dealer, but that's a big savings for me especially right now with the strangeness of our current situation.

If this forum concludes that I'm stupid for even trying after-market, then I'll bite the bullet and buy from a dealer.
    But if you experienced owners think that the key above will work, then that's really what I want to do.
    Either way - I will bow to the experienced Prius owners here on this wonderful forum.

Oh - one last question - anyone have a spare 2007 Prius user manual hanging around they'd be willing to mail me?
    My car came without one and I'm one of those people who really likes to have a physical book to keep in the glove box.

Thanks,

Jason

#607 JasonE, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Salvage09 and ydpplqbd like this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'd suspect those other "new" remotes are chinese knock offs or possibly used internals put back inside new cases. That can work for other cars like my former Suzuki SX4 (ebay $20=ka-ching!) but not the SKS tech.

Yes, plz get a new remote ASAP before something happens with the last remaining one. Search the nets, I found one on Amazon for $90 that I added via the chicken dance for no extra costs. If it's really new, you don't have to go to the dealer to pair it with the Gen2. Also, real locksmiths can handle this cheaper than a dealer.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  9. logbiter

logbiter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have done the chicken dance with my 2005, which I bought a year ago. It too came with just one key, the silver logo'd keyless version. These are the ones that cost close to $200 and need a dealer or someone who has the software (local locksmith place might).to program.
    So, I bought a couple of ones that you need to insert into the fob slot from Amazon... Here's the link & title... the forum might not let this link work.
    "Keyless Option Entry Remote Control Car Key Fob for 2004-2009 Toyota Prius MOZB21TG (Pack of 2)". I ordered a pair so we have an extra as well as 1 for my wife's keyring.
    I had a local dealer copy the original key onto the keys in the remotes as well as a normal key for unlocking the doors. Which is much easier than pulling out the little key to unlock the door. After reading through this thread, I knew it was unlikely that I could get these to work as keyless version or get the lock/unlock buttons to work, since I didn't have the toyota techstream software & OBD tool.
    It took me 2-3 tries per fob to get the "chicken dance" to work, but it did!

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you be more specific about what functions you made functional using the "Chicken Dance"?

11. logbiter

logbiter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was never able to get the lock/unlock buttons to work to lock/unlock the car, so it's basically just used as a key inserted into the fob slot. I use the prius 95% of the time so I keep the SKS fob. I recently got the TechStream software w/ OBD reader & usb to hook up to laptop, but haven't tracked down an old laptop to use yet.
    Oh yeah, is the key fob you have a silver logo SKS fob? I think it's a slightly different procedure for a non SKS car. it's somewhere in this huge thread!

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, correct silver logo key fob for SKS and black logo key fob for non-SKS. They are not interchangeable.

With what you've said, indicates your pack of 2 key fobs are non-SKS.

Lookup a new key fob on toyotapartsdeal.com for prices of new silver logo fobs. You really need at least one other fully functional silver logo key fob because if you think that is expensive wait until you need to pay the dealer for full reset and reseed.

You can also just buy the COVER, TRANSMITTER HOUSING With SMART ENTRY (Toyota Part No.: 89751-47010) for $11.58. This will fix up your existing key and is relatively safe to do as long as you transfer over the two main components, the PCB and the RFID chip.

A new SKS key fob is $132.89 – Transmitter Sub-Assy, Electrical Key With SMART ENTRY (Toyota Part No.: 89904-47011)

PS An image of the RFID chip is in this thread back in post #495.

13. 2Fats

2Fats Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I want to thank you for this walkthrough. I had purchased a new OEM FOB years ago from the internet for $80 and had taken it to a dealership to get programmed. The Dealership said it was fake, and would never work with SKS, and that I needed to pay an additional $400 to get a new one, and pay to get the key cut again (which doesn't make sense if I already had one cut.) AND pay to have it programmed. Then they charged me $75 for the pleasure of dealing with them and I left.

Fast forward a few years to today. My FOB died, and I was desperate for a battery, as I was taking the "new" FOB apart, I got the two confused. So I looked at the model numbers to discern the two... Identical.

Then I thought about seeing this thread on here the other day, I wasn't doing anything. I gave the neighbors a show. :)

I did have to do step 9b a couple of times before it locked. Now I've got two fully functional keys with my Prius. And one is all shiny!

Nicole Lee and George W like this.
  14. Nicole Lee

Nicole Lee New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is fantastic. Can’t wait to try it my with my new fob. I have the silver logo sks for a 2007 Prius

15. oschn

oschn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey people, I replaced the casing of my Gen2-2005 key long time ago. Back then I didn't know about the transponder chip, but since I have SKS keys I never really thought about why the key wasn't working when inserted into the slot and SKS disabled. Now I read about the transponder chip (4D67?), but I can't find the original casing of my old key. I probably threw it away.

I found that you can order new transponder chips for less than $10 on the internet. I was wondering if I could just order one and connect it with my Prius if I just follow procedure A and leave out the rest. SKS and remote buttons work flawless. I'd just like to have the transponder working again in case the key's battery fails (or it breaks for some reason), so that I will not be stranded with my car.

16. oschn

oschn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I should add that I also have the second fully functional (SKS, remote, immobilizer) silver-logo key.

17. oschn

oschn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tried it now. Didn't work. Maybe the chip is not compatible? Bought an 4D67, which is supposedly correct. At least the 4D-part. Don't know about the 67.

18. oschn

oschn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One further addition: the immobilizer transponder in pre-facelift keys seems to be different. That's why it might not habe worked. Trying to source the correct transponder seems to be a much more difficult task.

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the parts catalog, the same key is across all 2004 to 2009 Gen 2 Prius, so I doubt that's the reason.

20. Prius717

Prius717 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can someone post some links with the SKS key fobs that they bought and were successful with programming? Doesn't have to be OEM just as long as it works.