1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to properly jump start a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by KBee, Oct 13, 2013.

1. KBee

KBee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anyone know how to properly jump start a Prius? Please post links.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're forced to jump start a Prius from another vehicle make sure you hook up the cables to the front jump points in correct polarity. Incorrect polarity will do alot of damage. Its worth it to buy a new set of jumper cables that have polarity safety feature built in to it.

Make sure the donor car's engine is not running. Limit the inrush. Personally I would not jump start a Prius if the dead battery was lower than 8 volts because when you're hooked to another car's battery there is no current limiting and the dead Prius will see a real big initial inrush of current . That's not good. The Inverter & every ECU in the car is hanging off that 12 volt line and will not enjoy that.

Lower than 8 volts I would have the car towed home and replace the battery or put it on a charger in 2 amp mode.
    Alot cheaper in the long run.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    edthefox5 likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a good one Jimbo keep forgetting that. The jump pack is superior to a car jump.

5. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To jump start just connect jumper cables to the 12v battery in the back. I only use the jump points under the hood to help open the back hatch when it is totally dead. The best way, if you have time is to open the back hatch and charge the 12v to full with a modern battery charger.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The best way is to use the front jump points. That's why Toyota put them there and I thank them for that.

There's no difference between the front and the back. Stay out of the trunk. Easy to short sh*t out back there especially if it's your first time in the trunk.

7. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The front points are connected to the rear battery with two very long wires. One wire and the body is the second wire I guess. anyways I think the front is more confusing with all the fuses and relays. The rear battery has two posts and they say + and -. There is nothing to short in the rear or front unless you connect backwards, then you are screwed. I would like to see a comparison test of the results of backwards jump between front and rear connection points. I have a feeling a backwards connection at the rear would damage less but I would need to try it. Backwards at the front fries a few relays under the fuse box. I have repaired the aftermath of a backwards jump.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's at page 544 of the 3rd gen Owner's Manual. Do be careful with polarity, a mix-up could be costly.

Also, the positive contact, in the engine bay fuse box, has copper on one side, plastic on the other. With some jumper cables the contact has to be on one side of the clamp, so look them over.

Attached Files:

9. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is not the first time I disagree with the manual. If for no other reason than the simple fact that the front point + is too thin for many jumper cables to attach securely. The back is a nice thick post that works well with jumper cable clamps. When charging the battery I usually see the back hatch open, this includes dealership shops and independent shops. If you are going to charge a battery fast ( jump start) or slow ( regular charge) why use a 20 foot piece of wire on top of your extension cables? Just connect directly to the battery.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes try it asap lol.

11. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We will never know unless people start jump starting from the back. One truth remains constant - people who jump start backwards will claim they hooked everything up correctly, 100% sure of it. But seriously if the short is at the battery end of the long 12v input wire that goes to the front would the relay damage and possible fried inverter still occur?

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Have $4,000 ready.

edthefox5 likes this.
  13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    lol......

14. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    " one test is worth a thousand opinions"
    Not that I'm going to try it I just have been waiting for someone who has done it to chime in with some real world experience.

15. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three