1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to tell which wheel bearing?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ChapmanF, Aug 31, 2013.

?

Which bearing do these clues point to?

Poll closed Sep 7, 2013.
  1. Left front

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Right front

33.3%
  3. Left rear

66.7%
  4. Right rear again (just don't make 'em like they used to)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Need more clues

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are right on chap, I will refer to your post when I do a front wheel bearing. I have my own 10 ten ton press in the garage and will refer to your post when I do a front wheel bearing. You are very detailed with your instructions that will help a lot when doing one for the first time.

Very good post

Roy from Canada

#41 royfrontenac, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that is true, sometimes I try to help but forget the environment that you require to safely do the work - hot oil is a safety problem and should not be used without extreme caution.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not the only weirdo who likes to think this way! Check out this nifty app from the same guy who does the Weber Auto teardown videos:

$400, but cool. Brought to you by Vibrate Software, which is his spinoff outfit.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk and Fred_H like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No extra sensors involved; just the iPhone itself is able to detect/isolate vibrations?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pretty much all smartphones include microphones (for rather obvious reasons) and accelerometers and gyroscopes (for some applications you would think of, and various other uses that you might not).

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I find it astounding though, that the phone can pinpoint an issue, just hand-held, just positioned "somewhere" in the car's cabin. That's it, no additional mikes or whatever?

I know (with the app "cardio) it can turn on the camera's light, and when you cover it with a finger, determine your pulse rate. I'm mildly amazed by that, lol.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you watch the video? The whole idea is that the things that need to be distinguished from each other have characteristic frequencies based on known gear ratios and related to the speed of the car. So the thing needs to know how fast you're going (GPS on board phone) and your tire revs per mile, and do a Fourier transform of the all the vibrations it's picking up, and tell you which of the strong components match which known frequencies for the car at that speed.

... as was pretty much the approach going on earlier in this thread in post 25, and in my thread that preceded it where I was hoping to decide whether a noise was a bearing or MG2. (Only instead of a phone app doing a Fourier transform, I just had me going "ehh, sounds mostly somewhere between d and d flat".)

-Chap

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had sound problems, halfway through the video. Thanks for the overview. That's impressive.

Another problem: I always nod off, watching that guy's videos.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I use the speed setting a lot on youtube vids. It does pitch-correction on the audio, so it doesn't turn people into chipmunks, you just get through the video faster.

-Chap

ytv.jpg

Mendel Leisk likes this.