1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to turn off "Air Bag Off" light?

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Larry Greenwald, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Larry Greenwald

Larry Greenwald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    New Prius C4 owner here. How do you turn off the "Air Bag Off" indicator light when there's nobody in the front passenger seat?

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A little piece of black electrical tape over the display seems to be the only method.

3. fourenty

fourenty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I took the dash apart and put black electrical tape over the offending airbag sections on the template for the idiot lights. Dash looks factory and no airbag light. If you search the C forums you will find how to take the dash apart. Very easy. While I had the dash apart I ran my gps power cord and xm radio antenna line through the dash so I don't have wires running all over the place.

mypriuscious and ftl like this.
  4. PriusC-illa

PriusC-illa Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That light sure is annoying. Especilly when it lights up even when the damn airbag is ON.
    My Hyundai at least only lit up when it was off.

5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    As a person who rarely has a passenger, I think I would rather it only light up when on.

6. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    if you have a passenger in the seat, that light will turn off..

then again.. the "Air Bag ON" light turns on instead.. :censored:

7. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's annoying and useless :confused: M0st vehicles have 1 warning lamp when the system has a fault.
    This PITA has 3. An on, an off, and a fault lamp :( Talk about over kill.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. lachrisb

lachrisb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think it's good FYI feature. Although it would be nice if it timed out maybe.

9. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't need to know if it's on or off, unless you have a young child in that seat. All children should be in the back seat
    and away from the air bag anyways, IMO.

What is it that you feel is good FYI ??? If the system has a problem the regular SRS lamp will activate to let you know.
    This setup is just over kill and Toyota's just cover their butt's on a liability front. Just like the floor mat issue's.
    How many maintenance guides show floor mat inspection :ROFLMAO: I'm pulling my cluster to shut them off. They're a PITA.

10. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Could you kindly link us to where you found the instructions to take apart the dash? I only found a short video showing how to access the head unit o_O

For those that are curious, here's the vid for the head unit panel removal:

11. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    To get the cluster out, you need to remove the RH panel and the radio panel. It says to remove the center vents also.
    The cluster surround has two plastic retainers at the top of the opening that need to be removed. It's all held together
    with snap clips, so you should use a non marring plastic tool to pop it apart. The cluster itself has 2 screws holding it to the dash carrier.

This is the info., I was able to find. When, I do mine, I will make a short video and post the link.

Nel likes this.
  12. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay1 I just went out to my car and popped the dash apart. Just use a plastic tool to pop the radio panel off.
    None of these panels have screws. The radio panel is first. Then you can pop off the RH side mid-panel after you
    pull out the RH vent. Then you pull out the center vents. Use your finger or a pen and push the centers of the two
    plastic retainers, in. Then you can pull the cluster surround retainers downwards and they'll fall out. Pull the surround
    out towards you and the cluster retainers are exposed. It has two 8mm Hex/Philips head screws.
    Remove those and unplug the cluster to remove it.

Here's a quick video

karabits, BigWIll and Nel like this.
  13. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay! After you remove the two screws holding the cluster, un-clip the wire harness and unplug the 2 connectors.
    The IPC will need to come apart to block the on/off lamps.

Here's another quick video of the process. Don't break anything. It comes apart real easy. Just take your time.

EDIT::: I would like to add, you need to cover the word Passenger too. Otherwise it will be on all the time too.

14. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Wow thanks for the vids! Now to get some time to work on the car

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

Drdiesel likes this.
  15. type17volkswagen

type17volkswagen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you Dr D! I'd been wanting to do this but didn't want to break anything. Now that I see how it's done, I'm gonna be good to go.

Drdiesel likes this.
  16. fourenty

fourenty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Dr. beat me to it. They probably did a better job explaining than I could of. I think the thread that I read to get the dash apart was one dealing with the changing of the led colors used in the dash. The thread where I got my info didn't explain it any better than the Dr

17. type17volkswagen

type17volkswagen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just did this mod and wanted to say thanks again for the videos. It was so easy and smooth. I did find that one piece of Gorilla tape cut to the correct length is just perfect for covering all three lights; passenger, on, and off. I chose to apply it to the white base instead of the overlay film. I wasn't sure how the film was made and thought if I want to undo it at lease-end that it might peel away the black or words from the film.

18. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I was worried about heat on the glue side of the tape, so I applied it the display lens for that reason alone.
    I'm sure those LED emitters don't produce much heat, so it's 50/50 shot and either way should be fine.
    I'm glad I was able to help you with the video. Now look at my Auto Headlamp installation in the mods section, if you're interested in that mod too :cool: Here's a link: My Auto Headlamp kit Installation | PriusChat

19. yOsHi LiN

yOsHi LiN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I wasnt really annoy with the light, but the color I was. it felt like ever time I start the car there was a problem with it like the check engine light so I was bored and change all the led to white. I was bored but took me 2 hour !! what u guy think ??

Attached Files:

ztanos, legoadan and w2kpugsly like this.
  20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I like it. Did you leave the warning lights amber?