1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV battery replacement recommendations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sebott, Nov 9, 2021.

1. sebott

sebott New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is my first post but I've found some good tips here in the past so am hoping to get input on my current situation...

My 2006 Prius (original owner, ~238k miles) gave me the red triangle of death last week, took it to the local shop and was told the hybrid battery is done for. I considered looking for a new-to-me vehicle but trying to buy a car right now seems like a nightmare, plus I love my Prius, so am leaning strongly towards replacing the battery. I contacted the 2 dealerships close to me, plus the local shop that diagnosed the problem, and these are my options:
    • Local shop: replace with new, non-Toyota battery w/ 2-year warranty for $2600 installed
    • Dealership 1: replace with new Toyota battery w/ 1-year warranty for $3200 ($2463 battery + $750 labor)
    • Dealership 2: replace with new Toyota battery w/ 1-year warranty for $1950 + labor (the service dept. rep gave me a labor cost of $49.99 which I am 100% sure is the cost for the 12V replacement, not the HV, but she insisted that was correct)
    • Green Bean replacement w/ lifetime warranty for ~$1500
    Dealership 1 is obviously out, which is fine since I dislike them anyway. Green Bean is tempting in some ways but this is my only vehicle so I worry about repeated failures and replacements, even under warranty. The local shop and Dealership 2 would likely be very similar in price once I got the correct labor cost from the dealer, but both dealerships told me the Toyota battery only has a 1-year warranty even if installed by the dealership. So I'm wondering if the 2-year warranty on a non-OEM battery is a better bet? Other options I haven't considered?

I know lots of folks will recommend DIY replacement but I'm not comfortable attempting that.

2. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I would go with a new OEM Toyota battery installed by dealer 2. The installation should be around 2 hours so dealer would say 4 hours and expect price around $500. Also the warranty is 3 years by Toyota not the dealer.

The other option is to buy the OEM battery yourself for around $1700 after shopping around at
    Toyota Parts and Accessories - Official Online Store
    and have your shop install it for $300 or $400. The warranty would be 1 year. However, Toyota OEM battery with not much warranty will considerably last longer than rebuild batteries with more warranty and many issues.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would go with the cheaper of the local shop or dealer. don't worry about warranty

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, it is hard to comment on option one without knowing specifically what the non-OEM new entails. Generally speaking, we know of only one non-OEM battery that has the same (testing confirmed) mAh rating as the OEM original of 6500 mAh. That option is newpriusbatteries.com. If that is what was being installed, then there is a lot of labor and markup in the first option. If it is not, then I'd steer away.

5. sebott

sebott New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your comments. I got the correct labor cost from Dealer 2 and it was highest of all ($878) so I ended up asking my local shop to do the replacement with a Toyota battery instead of the aftermarket, for a total of $2700. The aftermarket battery they were suggesting was new, not rebuilt, but based on what I read here I felt safer going with Toyota. More than I hoped to spend but the cheapest of the options I was comfortable with.

I did ask the dealer to double check the warranty info on the battery and they said it is only 1 year, not 3. I've seen the 3-year warranty referenced a number of times on here but both dealerships told me 1 and I can't find any specific warranty info on Toyota's website, so I'm not sure what's going on with that.

nancytheprius likes this.
  6. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I see you are in Virginia. If you are in NOVA here is the price from a local Toyota dealer at $1699
    https://parts.passporttoyota.com/p/Toyota_2006_Prius-Hatchback/BATTERY-ASSEMBLY---HV-SUPPLY/63533084/G951047031.html

The installation cost the dealers charge you $750 and $878 are rather high for this replacement. There are YouTube videos that pros do it in under 20 min.

Anyway, a few hundred dollars it’s not relevant since now you have a reliable car again that will provide many years of service and will save you way more than these few hundred dollars. Congratulations for choosing an OEM Toyota battery.

nancytheprius likes this.
  7. sebott

sebott New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am in the Shenandoah Valley, not NOVA, and I did see the dealerships on the Toyota parts site offering the $1699 price. The closest one to me would be a two hour drive round trip (or $300 shipping which negates the savings), and I decided the extra time and hassle didn't make it worthwhile.

I also remind myself what a low-maintenance, inexpensive vehicle my Prius has been for 15 years and even getting a couple more years out of it with a new battery I think will be well worth it.

Really appreciate those of you with lots of knowledge who take the time to post here, thanks again!

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone posted a memo to dealers here awhile back. it laid out the warranty policy of one year for non dealer install, and 3 years for dealer install.
    dealers are hurting themselves by not keeping up.

either way, it matters not. you'll get another 15 years

sebott likes this.
  9. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also check out Greentec, not GreenBean. Shop | Greentec Auto

Greentec is $1750 installed with four year warranty and shops nationwide but not in VA I think. Maryland and north Carolina though. Greentec uses new cells. GreenBean uses used cells. Best alternative is a OEM if you can afford it though. Have to evaluate how long the rest of the car will last you too.

10. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Maybe it is a good idea to have the fan cleaned as well and install an OEM battery fan filter with the new battery.
    Anyone using the OEM Toyota HV battery filter? | PriusChat

11. sebott

sebott New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting... I hadn't known about the recommendation to clean the fan until I was reading up on battery replacement options, and it sounded like a manageable DIY that I was thinking I might tackle once I've got my car back. Haven't seen anyone mention replacing the fan, though, so I'd be curious about the cost and the benefits of doing so.

12. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wouldn’t replace the fan. Just cleaning it and adding an inlet filter.

13. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's very manageable and fun too! you might even be surprised as to how dirty it is. (i was) There are plenty of videos online how to do it

14. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Wow, 15-years! That's amazing!! Our old 2008 Corolla is being driven by our son-in-law and, still, has had no major issues....still has original almost everything. I just checked and did replace the serpentine belt in 2016. I just gave her an almost-complete fluid change for him, oil, transmission, coolant, power steering. (he's more of an artsy guy, graphic designer so not real handy around cars.) She's due for all four brakes/rotors to be replaced so I'll do that once he saves up $400 for part. (I do charge for parts....maintaining our 7 vehicles can put one in the poor house!)
    Keep us posted on the traction battery replacement!! (I'm still debating doing the job myself when the time comes for our 2017....doesn't look too difficult.)

15. sebott

sebott New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, the shop originally told me they'd have it done Tuesday but called this afternoon and said it was ready. I picked my car up a few hours ago and on the very short drive home (~1/2 mile) I noticed the battery charge indicator was stable when before it would fluctuate dramatically even on short drives around town. I had a brief chat with one of the techs when I picked it up and he mentioned that the OEM battery was more complicated to install than the one they originally suggested, which he described as "plug and play". Made me glad I went with the OEM, and their labor charge was still less than half of what the dealerships quoted.

Got it! I missed the word 'filter' in your previous comment, that makes more sense :)

Oh I'm sure it'll be filthy! We should have a couple warmer days this week so I'm going to try it then. I also need to work on calibrating the touchscreen, it was already wonky before the battery failed.

bisco likes this.
  16. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OEM is always the first choice for a car you’re keeping if you can afford it.

17. Barry CLEMENTS

Barry CLEMENTS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wh
    Why would the OEM battery not be "plug and play"? You buy the complete core, bolt it to the body, plug in 3 wire harnesses, and drive. Sounds like they are FOS. Somebody lied to you. TW, I've replaced Gen 2 batteries in under an hour. That is at a relaxed pace. Not a difficult job in the least.

18. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It’s almost plug and play. You need to transfer the small frame with the CPU and main relays from your old battery. Just 3 nuts and maybe 5 more minutes.
    E9F61D54-C5AD-431D-B3C4-211C3887E966.jpeg

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because it isn't. As mentioned above the electronics are not included, presumably to save on cost. An OEM new ECU on its own is $600+. The only thing you really need is new modules, which is what you get. Oh, plus a brand new case, bus bars, nuts, and no.2 wireframe harness.

No one is FOS and no one lied.

#19 dolj, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Fred_H likes this.
  20. sebott

sebott New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know enough about the installation process for either the OEM or the aftermarket battery to say whether they should be considered "plug and play", but I don't think there was anything nefarious in what they told me. I had asked if they'd done hybrid battery replacements before, and they said they'd done a few (one of the techs is a Prius owner so I generally have a little more faith in them than I otherwise might for a local shop). I'm assuming now that those were done with the aftermarket and they found the OEM to not be quite as simple/straightforward, for whatever reason. The labor quote was the same for both options, and the actual charge was a few dollars less.

The tech's description of the aftermarket as "plug and play" made me think it's been designed to be easier to install, which is fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if that meant small sacrifices elsewhere that could make it more susceptible to problems down the line... thus feeling like my choice to go with OEM was a good one.

#20 sebott, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021