1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I give up. The problems just keep multiplying.

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by sam spade 2, Mar 12, 2022.

1. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The recently new inability to "preview" a post without actually opening it is the last straw.
    Along with all the other problems that continue to go unaddressed by the owner, I have decided to put PriusChat on my "inactive" list.
    I hope Danny sees this.
    I hope a TON of the rest of you voice a similar complaint.
    Maybe it will finally get his attention.

I have better things to do with my time than fight his crap.

So bye to all of the great users on here.
    It has been fun and informative.....mostly.

Danny likes this.
  2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Sam (and everyone). I get it, the site is in need of some serious software updates. Unfortunately, when Prius interest took a dive I had to pivot and start focusing on building out my IT business here in Charlotte. That has led to me having way too little time to pay attention to PriusChat, a place I love and have been proud of since 2003.

There's a huge software update coming that should resolve most, if not all, of the problems. It's just a matter of me taking 2-3 days to focus entirely on PriusChat to perform the upgrade.

I'm very sorry that hasn't happened yet. I am sure many of you are frustrated, and that is entirely my fault.

I'll do better, for you, and for the Prius community.

JahT, bwilson4web, MalachyNG and 4 others like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    FWIW, it's more or less been working as accustomed for me.

Even the this website has gone ballistic thread seems to have been a lot quieter lately than it was a few years ago (not a peep since last summer).

Full disclosure: I do the vast majority of my browsing with JavaScript disabled (simply because I am choosy about who runs code on my computer).

A downside of that is that I usually don't experience the fancier features of most websites.

The bright side is, when websites have fancy features that don't work, I tend not to notice that either. :D

On my wishlist:

• It would be nice to have .svg included in image types that can be used in a post.
    • I've seen others complain that video uploads to the gallery don't work, though I haven't tried to upload a video there myself yet.

#3 ChapmanF, Mar 12, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I'm with Chap as using Opera as my browser seems to make PriusChat reasonably stable. Opera, unlike other browsers, closely follows the HTML standards.

JeffD

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know what "preview" function @sam spade 2 mentioned, but for the most part, the site has been working A-OK.
    Admitted that there are some bugs that need fixes. Yeah, @Danny, if you can fix the PM function not working for some members, I would be very happy Prius Camper. LOL
    Good luck.

Danny likes this.
  6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We've never allowed video uploads because of the storage space considerations. Wish there was a way to create a communal YouTube channel for that sort of purpose.

I'll look at allowing svg in PriusChat v.2022.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's a feature where you mouse over the title of a thread in the thread listing and it gives you a 140 character preview of the thread text. It's been broken since some JavaScript went bonkers on the site.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, thanks for the explanation. If that feature was working sometime in the past, then I must have seen it functioning. The fact I didn't even notice that the feature stopped working means, I really didn't benefit from the feature... or was it a "bug"? LOL...

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How about with a smallish size quota, or bitrate quota, or both?

It would be a little extra burden for some posters who aren't used to thinking about compression or re-encoding, but usually for the kinds of video content you'd expect on PC, like "here's how you replace the Knuten valve", it doesn't need to win HD cinematography awards, it just needs to look ok and show the Knuten valve.

For example, when I snapped this image on my phone, it was 1.4 megabytes (sometimes on my phone a simple still image is up to 5 megabytes!), but before uploading it on PriusChat I resaved it on my computer and adjusted the JPEG compression until it was just 52 k, and on a computer monitor it's still more than clear enough for the purpose.

[​IMG]

The video I uploaded in this thread I made sure to compress down to a 318 kB .webm file, and it still shows everything it needs to show. But then I had to wrap it in a ZIP file because I couldn't directly upload a webm. So now it's just harder for anybody to view, they have to download and unzip it first.

It would sure be convenient to have a place to be able to upload short videos and such without relying on some outside service like youtube, even if it had limits on size that would force people to think about editing and compression. Those are not bad things to have to think about anyway. :)

Sounds like a perfect example of the kind of problem that never bothers me because I keep JavaScript turned off anyway! :D

Salamander_King likes this.
  10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This excuse doesn't hold a lot of water.

You somehow found time a few months back to change things so that "ads" started being embedded into users posts.
    At the same time, the preview ability disappeared, no doubt to increase the "click count".
    The insertion of ad links didn't last long......but absent "preview" is still absent.
    And many users can't initiate a "private message" to another user.

It seems that you can find time to make changes that benefit YOU......but no time to un-do the mistakes that you have made which adversely effect your users. It's been that way for YEARS.

11. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A feature of the basic underlying software that this platform runs on:
    If you ask for a list of posts, New Posts for example, it shows you a list of posts that match.
    Pointing at that title brings up the first few lines of the post in a "preview" window without actually opening the whole post.
    HERE that standard feature has been broken, accidentally or on purpose.
    Now you must click on the post and actually OPEN it.
    Pain in the backside.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    danny, i'd appreciate it if you would just leave things as they are. it's been working nearly flawlessly for quite awhile now.

13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Danny,

You just keep on doing what you're doing. The world is a busy place. I think the majority of us have no gripes and find it hard to get bent out of shape about a free forum. Those who are bent out of shape? They should feel free to move along and develop their own.

14. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Danny - Thanks - priuschat is great resource for Prius owners in many locations around the world.
    I hope this site is as much a benefit to your IT business and it is to us, all the priuschat members.

IMO you should be very proud of this site if for no other reason than having kept up since 2003, but there are many other reasons why,

Cheers Billy TGB4 2014 !

15. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you Danny!!