1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Hate the Volt's Charger Alarm

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by Rebound, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I parked in our local garage -- three EV spots share two chargers. Both were in use. On further inspection, I see that the Volt has completed charging. "Ah, no problem, I'll just use this one!"

And that's how the Volt's completely pointless alarm went off, for using a public charger it wasn't using. If you park in public, turn off that stupid alarm.

2. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending on the temps, it might stil be using it, as the car will continue to run the TMS, while plugged in. The green light may be flashing, saying charge complete, but the TMS is still keeping the battery cool. Worse thing once can do is fully charge then sit in the heat.

But I do agree if you are parking in public where the alarm serves no purpose, best to turn off it off (which can be done by locking the car door with the metal key). When I used a public charger at DIA, I set the timing so it got half a charge, then shut off until the afternoon of my return. That way if it was unplugged it was not baking at full charge.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't blame the dog, blame the owner.:cool:

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm quite curious how the charging courtesy will play out as demand grows.

The public chargers I use are setup to allow the switchover upon completion without owner intervention. In fact, 30 minutes after draw ceases, you get a ping on your phone as polite nudge that someone else may want to use the plug. At that point, on the charger itself, it states that a new customer may begin use even though it is still plugged into another vehicle.

Entune will inform you if charging itself is interrupted. So, you'll know immediately if someone messed with your connection before they should have.

5. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

It will be interesting to see how it develops. At the office I expect it will be different that at public stations and things like airports. I expect the market will solve by charging enough that its a balance.

There are card one can print and place on your car, e.g. see
    EV Charging Protocol Placard Overview
    and the discussion at
    Charging Station Etiquette - Sharing :) | Page 2 | PriusChat
    Public charging station etiquette
    My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Etiquette when using public charging stations.

I don't know how etune does it but the volt will send a text message, but they can take a long time to be delivered.
    Not enough to be used as an alarm.. and importantly that is not a theft deterrent.

I use the alarm when I'm charging with my 120V charger, but not if using a 240v public install.

Why you might ask? The alarm is mostly about protecting the EVSE. The 120v is locked but still I like the added idea of the alarm as its a deterrent. I adapted the EV card from
    EV Invasion! It's here and there aren't enough outlets!
    Which explains you can unplug it from the wall, but not from the car.
    If they unplug it from the wall the alarm does not go off.

When on a 240v plug (which I've only used once), I just disabled the alarm, scheduled it to half charge and used a standard courtersy card saying to unplug if needed. (but no one unplugged). I think I'll do a new card asking them to plug it back in when they are done as the car will not charge until the day I return.

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sure, using an alarm to protect your own charger makes sense, but not a charger in a public garage. If the charger indicates that the vehicle's charged, I'll take the cable.... from a Leaf, anyway.

7. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not know that, thanks.

I've only seen a public charger in this area at one hotel, and I was the first person to ever use it and there was another empty one so it didn't come up. Most of my opportunity charges are on the 120v and I like the alarm to protect the EVSE as mentioned.

I have a hard time visualizing how the airport chargers must work, if I go on vacation for a week do I just leave my car occupying key real estate?

8. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least at my airport, yes you leave it in prime real-estate. (And there is a whole thread on LAX). I paid a bit extra to park there, and as I said I left a note. Right now each juice bar at DIA has a 240v EVSE and a 120v plug. I think they have 2 different juice bar locations (1 in valet, 1 in covered self park). In Valet, they can shuffle cars to get many more through. In the coverd self-park which I used is physically setup so 6 or maybe 9 different cars are within charging distance of the charging station (it in middle of 2 rows of cars). The spots are marked for EV only, though I asked and was told I did not have to actually eb plugged in as long as it was an EV (which is needed if I wanted to allow someone to unplug me).

The Canaopy park has its own solar and wind-generators so I even got a green charge, otherwise I might not have done it ;-)

9. bajapat

bajapat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget 2011 either have it on or off all the time because it takes a visit to the dealership to make that change

10. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is true the 2011's lack the config option to enable/disable, but the metal key trick works on them just fine. Mine is a 2011. I lock all doors with the center console, unlock my driver door (pull handle twice), get out, use metal key to lock door.. and no alarm.

11. bajapat

bajapat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know