1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want bigger softer riding tires for next tires.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by The Big Sleaze, Feb 7, 2022.

1. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    (sigh)

bisco likes this.
  2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    So to answer your question you will be the first one to install wider tires without modded rims and “hopefully” report back

So test it out and report back your results, everyone else who has upsized did so using the same width tire or used an offset and lift

Biggest tires you can put on a stock Prius? | PriusChat

Also It is known 215/70r15 rub unless you do something to lift the car, 205’s who knows?

Good luck

#22 Rmay635703, Feb 8, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  3. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I looked at tirerack.com tire decision guide. Stock size, selected only for ride comfort. They suggested Vrederstein Quatrac, also Michelin CrossClimate+ or Vrederstein Hitrac. A tire made to run with less harshness, at the recommended inflation pressure, will give a better ride without any concerns about a size problem. A size bigger tire run at a bit lower pressure will ride softer, but may have interference problems.

4. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I'm also wondering about that sorta soft rear wheel well lining stuff. I seems like only stuff that will rub so maybe I could rip it out and replace with some spray rubber to sorta keep things quiet or rust free or whatever then replace the stuff with factory if it becomes an issue and want to return to small tires.

Its there some time test method used by pros to determine if a newly installed tire is rubbing? What substance could I smear that will clearly show any rubs, handle a 80mph test run, but also wash off OK?

Just discovered I'm also the proud owner of a 1999 vintage Ford Taurus sporting 205/65r15" and seems to have room so if the Prime tire upgrade has issues I can just put new tires on the Bull since it could use some and bigger tires fine for it, too.

#24 The Big Sleaze, Feb 10, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022