1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Identifying if 2017 or 2017.5

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by greenhelm, Feb 4, 2020.

1. greenhelm

greenhelm New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hello all, this is my first post. I apologize if it has been answered elsewhere.

I am looking at a Prius 2017, level 3. A major part of my decision involves whether it has the newer safety assists, especially the blind spot monitor, rear cross traffic alert, and clearance sonar/park assist. My understanding is that they added this feature halfway through the model year.

So, how can I figure it out without sitting in the car itself? I know that the "order date" (per the Toyota owners website and VIN search) was 4/17, and I know it was purchased in early 2018. Is there any way for me to figure it out from this information?

Thanks so much.

2. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They did add some of the new safety features to all models in the line up in 2017. I believe that the sonar was only in the model 4's. You could go online and look at their build a model tool. I would suspect you'll see what's available in the level three models.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As @MichelleStone kindly mentioned, and as the sales brochure (PDF) for model year 2017 explains, the Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert features were standard on Four and Four Touring grades only. The Intelligent Clearance Sonar with Intelligent Parking Assist feature was part of the Premium Convenience Package, also available only on Four and Four Touring grades.

If you enter a VIN on Toyota’s Vehicle Specification page, you can (with some exceptions) see the grade (trim level), and in the “Standard Installation Equipment” section (click the heading to expand it), a list of standard features, as it would have appeared on the Monroney label. The option packages are listed in the “Port or Factory Installed Equipment” section.

This information is useful for shopping, but before buying, of course, I’d encourage you to confirm in person that any features that are important to you are present and working. As far as I know, Toyota doesn’t use designations such as “2017.5,” by the way; running changes can be made at any time during the model year.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    All of the options listed above are on my Three Touring, so they're not restricted to the Four or Four Touring. I believe my car was manufactured in May or June 2017.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @MichelleStone & @Elektroingenieur Technically Toyota US did not add standard features in mid 2017. They added a package on all vehicles and then a credit to offset the charge. That effectively makes them standard features that were not previously available on my Trim 2, for instance.

I have an early 2017 Trim 2 that lacks the additional features mentioned by the OP. The manufacturing date on the drivers door likely holds the key for this vehicle.I bought my 2017 in October 2016.
    For the 2 Eco, for some reason, they deleted the cargo cover & mounting when they added the extra features.

I see a possible manufacturing date in our spreadsheet of April 1, 2017 for the changes. The Trim One was introduced at that time too.

#5 Prodigyplace, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    MichelleStone likes this.