1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If you don't want to use the ICE, then buy a full BEV

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Marine Ray, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's more like $18K for the last two brand new PPs. Yap, if that was Advanced or Limited, it would have been ~$24K.

2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota seems to say $28K for the cheapest (LE): 2021 Toyota Prius Prime Plug-In Hybrid | Explore the Possibilities. At least around Austin TX, and at least until 2017, dealerships pretty much didn’t discount any appreciable amount.

3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As @bisco pointed out, PP sold in NE are discounted by $5-$10K off MSRP ever since it was introduced back in 2017. This number does include the $4500 tax credit and Toyota rebate of $3000 to $5000, so YMMV.

mr88cet likes this.
  4. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Pulling out all the stops, eh? But OK, that’s fine.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in regard to the video, and my comments about a 600 mile bev, yes, please free to pull out all the stops.

from what i see, maybe you can squeeze a 200 mile bev down to about 25k?

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that's the price range I am looking at for my next car if it is a BEV. I don't think I can find any BEV close to the current price of PP, but I really want to give a BEV try. I may end up leasing one just to see how it works for my current lifestyle. I know if I get a BEV, it would be strictly for in or near-town drive only.

bisco likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah if that’s the case, just treat all vacations, including staycations, as if there was a flight involved, rent vacation wheels (a gasser or hybrid)?

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've watched a couple of AMD's videos in the past and from my point of view his advise is decent. I agree about 75% of the time.
    Whenever dumbing down for general consumption. there is always gonna be issues covering everything for everyone.
    My first PiP tank lasted a year. And I really didn't care about adding gas every 6 months or whatever, I just wanted to drive EV, like you...
    I'm pretty sure I remember that stat correctly from 5 years ago, no guarantees though :rolleyes:

#28 vvillovv, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    bisco likes this.
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll have to remember to pull the plug more often LOL

whatever floats .....

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it is kind of interesting. 9 years of experience here on prius chat of people trying their darndest to drive all ev, and no reports of frozen piston rings.
    hey, what do we know? he sees it all the time

11. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Why including staycations?

I have a couple co-workers who report having no issues doing what they at least believe to be practical long-range road-tripping in their Tesla Model 3s.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The subject of extended range comes up when one wants to have new technology that's just like what you currently have... only different.

The reality is that new tech often has shortcomings and it's just a matter of getting used to it, make excuses for it or find fixes/work-arounds.

I like my car in EV mode. No real reason. It's spent more TIME in EV mode but more miles in ICE. I'm not an average driver. :)

I doubt that I'll ever be really happy in a BEV. I live in an area where they declare an emergency and cut power for hours or days. That means no home or public chargers for areas as large as some eastern states. Yuck.

But again, I'm not average. I hate blackouts. I have two backup generators at home and enough gas to keep the whole house going for 4 or 5 days without changing our lifestyle. I like having the ability to traverse a state or two as needed in an emergency. A BEV is much to dependent on the grid, and the USA grid is being badly administered.

My opinion. That's all. :)

Salamander_King, pghyndman and bisco like this.