1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Initial Fuel Economy Loss With Michelin Primacy MXV4 Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by The Critic, Nov 16, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh and keep taking care of that car. Maybe I can buy it from you in a couple of years when you are done with it. lol

2. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had Primacys on for about 6-7k miles. It doesn't get much better.

I still like them more than the Avids, you can drive in the rain with confidence.

We average around 46 with ours but we are in stop-go central Atalnta GA.

I also started tracking with fuelly just prior to switching tires so I cannot honestly tell you what we got before, I do know that when my display says 49 its about 46 and I remember seeing 51+ so we were probably at 48-49ish.

3. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting as I'm using much higher pressures on my Gen II 2005 Prius with Yokohama AVID ENVigor tires and I don't notice any loss in traction or steering response.

The PSI I choose from on a tire with 51 PSI max is:

50/47 high (short trips or warm winters)
    48/45 med (long trips or summer use)
    45/42 low (winter below freezing)

Have you tried the higher pressure on your new tires or are you just going by your experience with the mediocre OEM tires?

I know the Michelin's have a 44 PSI max so I'm not suggesting you push it as far as I do with a different tire but I am suggesting you treat that aftermarket tire differently than the low cost OEM tire.

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That makes sense.

One thing that I have changed is that I am doing what GM recommends to their dealers-- that is, setting the tire pressure at the lowest ambient temperature that the vehicle will be operated in. This way, I can ensure that there is adequate tire pressure even during cold nights.

So, I set the tire pressure to 35/33 at 45F. This means that I am probably running 37/35 during the daytime, and if I make a trip to a warmer place, it will be even higher.

I have found that even with the Michelins, dropping from 37/35 to 35/33 has resulted in tires that are much sticker during cornering and even less road noise. Braking isn't much different, though. The tires have about 1100 on them now and I think the traction has improved even more since the last time I posted.

5. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Can you give us an update? What happened to your mpg during the last couple of years as the tire aged and got worn down?

I'm in a similar situation with my 2011 Volt. My old Fuel Max tires were getting a bit worn down after 57,000 miles and I decided to replace them after getting a leak in one of them and before the next winter season started. I did a bunch of reading but perhaps not quite enough before deciding to put on the Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/55R17 tires that were rated 94H with 620 tire wear.

Like you, I saw a larger than expected initial drop in mpg. I dropped roughly 10% from my old tires and similarly on EV range. I only have about 400 miles on the new tires.

Which exact MXV4 tires did you put on (so I can look up their wear rating and tread depth etc.)? I noticed that the ones I put on have a deeper tread depth than the OEM versions of the tire and this gives the tire longer tread life but perhaps worse initial rolling resistance.

I'm wondering how much my mpg will improve with more miles on the car and therefore less tread depth eventually.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jeff,

jdenenberg and jdcollins5 both have had these tires for awhile and can comment on long term fuel economy trends. Mike only had them for a short time before switching to the Energy Saver A/S.

Jeff N likes this.
  7. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    With your hint, I found another thread that had lots of useful info.

Best Alternatives to Michelin Energy Saver A/S ? | PriusChat

Too bad I didn't read it earlier. I noted that "The Critic" gave up on his MXV4's after 14,000 miles when they were still giving mpg of 3-5% under. Oh well.

With the new tires I can still make into work 45.5 miles later with 2 miles of remaining EV range but the sun is coming up later each day. More use of headlights and colder temps will likely mean some gas engine use on the drive to work this winter. Last year I managed to avoid the engine on all but a handful of days.