1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed a Switch to Keep Driving :)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lighthouse-Beacon, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_0380.JPG
    I've got a 2009 Prius with 225k miles that I do about 10 miles a day to work in. I recently threw error code Code P0AA6 and Subcode 612, which is an isolation fault in the HV pack. Resistance isnt terrible according to tech stream and voltage is good in modules.

Pulled cover and it looks like a leaky module somewhere. I am currently too busy to fix it or throw cash at it and decided to do what the New York Cabby's use to do all the time when they didnt want to hit the shop.. I installed a switch to kill my ground :)

I know I am bad boy, but 20 minutes and 20 bucks later I am driving again. Been running a week now and she's still rolling! :D Ill fix it eventually.. but I wanted to share.. Gen 1 would not make the car inoperable for this code, Gen 2 will lock the car out of gear when this code is thrown due to 'danger' but then all of sudden Toyota decides Gen 3 can throw same code and it's just a hard code with no inoperability! So I guess they decided it was more dangerous stranding people in parking lots at night :p lol. If/when I throw the code I kill my ground for about 15 seconds and turn it back on and start up. This is even faster than clearing the code via OBD II.

Woohoo! I know I know I will catch flack for this in here, but my prius is a work horse! and she's back on the trail!..maybe my leaker will fail and make it easier for me to find!

Happy driving prius peeps!

Switch on Amazon "Zoostliss Battery Isolator Disconnect Cut OFF Power Kill Switch for Marine Car Boat RV ATV Vehicles" -

+12 feet of 6 gauge wire
    +Old JIS Battery Terminal I had laying around

#1 Lighthouse-Beacon, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Flack #1

I see your new so be aware there’s been a few hybrid battery explosions reported with people constantly Reseting a hv fault and continued driving like your doing.

They all report same thing loud bang in the back hatch area and then smoke. There is a lot of power back there.

Montgomery, maleko and Data Daedalus like this.
  3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And the insurance company will likely investigate and deny the claim due to the unauthorized modification.

4. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

No flack here. Congratulations on a good temporary fix.

Send me a PM when you are ready to replace the leaky module. I have plenty of good tested modules.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Understand that a SINGLE ground fault might not cause a serious problem.......but a second one surely WILL.

Your little "trick" might end up costing you dearly.

Montgomery likes this.
  6. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you Strawbrad!!

7. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's temporary guys calm down! :) explosions and insurance sorrow.. I think I can handle that.. it's liability and I fear it may be mor statistically possible to be involved in a collision.. regardless it will be a scenario for the forum. Yes new member long time lurker. Cheers

m.wynn likes this.
  8. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

Park your car where, if it were to catch fire, it wouldn’t set eg your house on fire. My car never even had a ground fault; but still did the exploding battery ECU thing when parked up for a few days. Two ground faults would release a lot of energy :)

Not giving flack - I myself installed a switch on an old 2.0 bluebird with a small crack in the cylinder wall; it would pressurise the cooling system just like head gasket failure. The switch cut the injector for that cylinder; I used the car for a year like that (4 cylinder mode briefly for roundabouts and so on!)

Data Daedalus likes this.
  9. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So did you fix the car yet?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  10. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

I just realised I resurrected this thread from a while ago - was on my phone so didn't see the date! I hope you have managed to get the car fixed!

11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last seen 3w 2d ago. My money is on he is still using the switch. :whistle:

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... if he even has comprehensive insurance on this vehicle anymore. At 225k, many of us have already dropped both collision and comprehensive. Only the liability portion is legally required.

Lighthouse-Beacon likes this.
  13. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always keep uninsured driver on all my cars. The two cars I have had totaled were both wrecked by uninsured drivers.

14. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No I have not. Got away with it for alittle while but I threw news codes today, I noticed my Hybrid fan was coming on and staying on pretty loud. What is my best course of action at this point? Here are my codes: IMG_2791.JPG IMG_2792.JPG IMG_2793.JPG IMG_2794.JPG

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    new 2k1 battery $1,600.

16. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or dealer option at parts counter for $2,100.

You may want to confirm that leak at the battery pack before doing that though.

Just in case it is in some other component of the hybrid system. Have you isolated it to the pack?

17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So.....almost 6 months later and it is still "temporarily" in use.

What you need to do next is:
    Listen to the advice you are getting here and STOP being stupid.

Montgomery likes this.
  18. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol, this is a 2,000 dollar car I’ve gotten more than it’s value out of. I’m at 225k miles with liability insurance. You’re drunk if you think I’d cram 1500 or more into this car.. and danger? Give
    Me a break... I’ve done the research and I’m more likely to get killed by a drunk driver than that pack to burn so spare me..

Blue Potato likes this.
  19. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yes it’s in the pack. It isolated it there in subcode and I put my tester between the case and the terminal and it was there. Number 16 is a leaker. I can see the corrosion bridging to pan. I’ve a refurbed mod on the way I’m going to drop in this weekend. I plan to clean with vinegar and salt when I get everything broke down then following wegortw method and just matching that mod to surrounding and rocking on. I’m not balancing everything Yet Another Hybrid Battery Replacement | PriusChat

20. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s sad you’ve got to explain things like this fuzzy. This forum isn’t without its arm chair idiots