1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet Another Hybrid Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by wegortw, Jun 25, 2013.

1. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Having just purchased a very high mileage used 2005 Prius for a good deal and putting about 1,000 miles on it before getting the triangle of death, I was faced with the thought of spending $3,500 for a dealer battery replacement or attempt to DIY for about $50. Thankfully #ryousideways just finished on a a great documented write up in a thread here and a must read before you get started as I am just going to summarize my experience with pictures.

My Error Codes:
    P0A60 - Voltage difference between battery blocks is higher than standard
    P3019 - BATTERY BLOCK 9 BECOMES WEAK

1st Lesson Learned - You can't trust the error code descriptions from any OBD2 reader, except at Toyota. Make sure to check them online against official Toyota repair manual descriptions.
    2nd Lesson Learned - Don't assume you battery is bad without first making sure your battery ECU is not bad (P0A1F)
    *I will include a documents link at the end of this for items I found helpful

Tools Used -
    [​IMG]

3rd Lesson Learned - Disconnect the 12v battery before proceeding, or you will find you cause even more error codes when finishing the job
    4th Lesson Learned - Remove the G2 Service Plug before proceeding, but also remember when done and re-installing it's not actually in place until you hear the clicking lock when pushed down
    5th Lesson Learned - Don't remove the HV battery cover as I did in the picture below before removing from the car, it loses it's rigidity

[​IMG]

6th Lesson Learned - Use the sharpie liberally and measure each batteries voltage. Even though the computer error said battery #9 they are measured in pairs and turns out to be #18
    7th Lesson Learned - Be very careful with the wire clips, screw threads, and everything in general. Don't believe me read another very useful thread by #YY4U on all the hurdles he had to overcome.

[​IMG]

- Note in the two pictures above the color of the replacement "new" battery and #27. Apparently this isn't the 1st swap this car has seen. Also note you have to start at #1 and remove in order to get to #18

Disclaimer: In the picture below I wasn't actually re-balancing #18 while putting the batteries in parallel; I just forgot to take a picture during balancing it, so hooked it up to show for the camera.

Now here is where I am also going to go against what the experts on this forum tell you; I did not re-balance the whole battery pack. Why, well because of time. And where I understand it can breath new life into old batteries and find other bad batteries in the process. I decided to take the chance and choice to deal with that problem when I come to it versus spending the long time or charger investment upfront to "do it right". I am happy to say since the install a month has passed an over 1k miles on the replaced pack. YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY

[​IMG]

8th Lesson Learned - I went with the B6AC charger because Amazon had it cheap on prime 2 day shipping and unlike the other charger DC6 I was able to plug this one into the wall socket.

The overall high level steps I followed were:
    1. Remove the battery
    2. Replace the bad cell with a known good cell
    3. Charge the new cell to within +/- .2 v of the rest of the pack
    4. Put the whole pack into parallel to level out the voltage
    5. Put it all back together

Overall the next step of putting the pack into parallel and taking it back apart was the hardest part of the whole bit; especially when taking it apart. It's like defusing a bomb, minus the boom :). Think the kids game Operation.

[​IMG]

9th Lesson Learned - There is no need to crisscross the wires when putting the pack into parallel except maybe at one end. I did it because #ryousideways did it this way and this is how urban legends are started.

[​IMG]

So after popping it back in the car and buttoning it up, that's about it. All in all it took about 6-8 hours over the course of 2 days. I am not an expert but I am comfortable working on cars and DIY around the home electrical installs. Take precautions, be smart, and by no way use this as a guide on how to, just yet another helpful encouragement to tackle it yourself. Results will vary! Happy to help where I can.

Here are the PDF documents I read up on before starting and found just by surfing the web:
    - 2004 Prius Repair Manual RM1075U - Section 21-54
    - 2004 Prius Repair Manual RM1075U - Section 21-98
    - 2004 Prius Repair Manual RM1075U - DTC P0A80
    - 2004 Prius Repair Manual RM1075U - DTC P30xx
    - Hybrid Battery Safety
    - Installation Notes
    - Toyota Hybrid Course
    - Toyota Prius Dismantling Manual
    - and last go back and read those other two threads before starting yourself

10th Lesson Learned - Since I was paranoid about my rebuild and wanted to watch it like a hawk I downloaded the Torque Android App, installed the Prius custom PIDs, and purchased a cheap bluetooth OBD2 from Amazon so that I can monitor the pack in real time.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Excellent write-up! Thanks.

You are not the first person that has posted lately that replaced a battery module without rebalancing. It will be interesting to see how long your battery lasts compared to someone that has taken the time to rebalance.

Keep us posted.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nice write up.
    Just one small point, you are counting the modules from the wrong end. The reason why the code P3019 battery block (9) becomes your battery block (18). They are counted from the ECU end of the pack.
    You were possibly confused by someone else's markings as the pack had been worked on before.

John (Britprius)

wegortw likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That and I think I can see alot of corrosion on the orange buss bar assy & the nuts. Cleaned that up right?

But very nice write up thank you.

5. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, cleaned any corrosion at a contact point. Mostly on the outside of the rings.

Britprius - that would make more sense :)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great job, thanks man!(y)

7. ryousideways

ryousideways Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great write up! Post an update in a couple of months to let us know how things are going!

8. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wanted to give a quick update, it's been a couple of months and 5, 000+ miles since the hybrid battery cell replacement. Good news, no issues even without rebalancing the whole pack. City avg ranges between 42-45 mpg and hwy performing better at 45-55 mpg.

djasonw likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hear, hear!;)

10. Hawkeyertt

Hawkeyertt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the great post! I have not had to replace a battery (yet) but it is nice to know that someone who is not an "expert" was able to get through this process in about 8 hours.

11. LucasElectric

LucasElectric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice post. Definitely let us know if and when you get the light back.

12. LucasElectric

LucasElectric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you!!! It took me 2 days of searching and your comment is the FIRST indication I've seen as to how these batteries are numbered. Counted from the non-computer end of the pack, the 16th module was bad on mine but I was getting a code reading saying that module "8" was bad. Still though, the module I believed to be bad would be 12...

13. fileaudio

fileaudio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    One
    well I purchased a prius this week with the ''triangle of terror'' and maybe lucky me,,, once I refill the brake fluid it disapeared completly(goodbye triangle) even the 12 volts battery can make some signs appear....

14. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So just checking back in with a status update it's been about 3 years and 45k miles since this swap without rebalancing and knock on NiMH still going strong.

Car is currently at 230k on the odometer.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, thanks for the update!(y) do you attribute that to good luck, or your methodology?

#15 bisco, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  16. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the biggest thing I attribute it to would be luck; it's been awhile since (3 years) since I read all the original reasons to rebalance but if I am remembering correctly the biggest gain of rebalancing is to...

1) breath new life into your existing pack
    2) find early detection of other cells that are not yet failing but will be failing soon (hence my luck part)

I am sure now that I am being boastful about luck; it will bite me in the arse soon :)

jdcollins5 and bisco like this.
  17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for taking the time to update us.

Good luck!

Brian Kenya and wegortw like this.
  18. prius200588

prius200588 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello All - - I am in the middle of doing (almost) the exact same hybrid battery cell replacement as wegortw completed. After getting the TOD (triangle of death), my Toyota guy scanned my 2005 Prius (238K miles) to get me code: P0AA6-INFO 526. I removed the battery and all connections and volt tested each cell. All 28 were (almost) exactly 7.65. However, when I put the ohmmeter to each terminal, #12 gave me a reading of 4.32. I am assuming/hoping that #12 has an internal short to ground. I have ordered a $36 replacement cell from eBay that is tested and balanced at 7.6 volts. When the new #12 arrives, I plan to install it and reassemble the pack. I plan to parallel connect the 28 positive terminals on one buss bar, and duplicate on the negative terminals. I plan to allow this "leveling" to settle overnight (or longer). I will then remove the jumpers, and double-check the voltage of all 28 cells again. If they are all within a few hundredths of each other, I'll put the pack into the car, say a prayer, the hope for the best. I will post my results in a couple weeks, maybe by mid-July 2016. TIM.

bisco likes this.
  19. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm envious of you guys who have the tenacity to take on a job like this! I commend you for a job well done!!

bisco likes this.
  20. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good but the most important part you are missing in this is to do a load test on the batteries. Balancing them is great and all but it's the load test that will tell you primarily if they will play nice together or not once you get it all back together.

Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | Page 13 | PriusChat

ydpplqbd likes this.