1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed a Switch to Keep Driving :)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lighthouse-Beacon, Nov 10, 2018.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was just thinking that I've seen a rash of HV leaks that were in elecetronic components in the HV battery compartment but not the actiac battery.
    No sense getting a full pack if not needed.

2. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two

It would be great to be something like this:
    2002 prius - battery block 8 becomes weak - which cell? | PriusChat

Like I said earlier, the whole reason owning and driving this car was to save money, the more poured back in and I’m losing the savings of HV anyway. The replacement mods will be here this weekend. I’m going to clean everything really good and find the leaker, I may sit them in paper, I’m going to load test, then if bad replace mods, then balance them out everything together and see what happens, I’ve got everything ready just waiting on the salvage mods to come. I only drive 12 miles a day in this car so it’s just about keeping her alive at this point. Wil probably go back to a camry after this one. Thanks for the replies!!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, saving money with a prius is complicated

Lighthouse-Beacon likes this.
  4. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    leaker.jpg 612.jpg IMG_0130.JPG

It's pretty messy in here. According to the computer it's number 16. From what I read that's starting away from ECU and counting towards it. I've drove around with the Prius using electric and I can see on Techstream Mod 8 really drop off at low volts and be a good volt and a half higher on recharge so I think the computer is right at ID'ing it as the problem. resistance is the same on the whole pack and the others are tighter/similar voltage. I hope I can get away with just replacing these 2. This leak makes sense why I threw the isolation fault the computer ID'd as 612 in the pack. Its sensing the leak so yeah everything is adding up at this point.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your research was faulty.
    The data you found, if you really did find any, was for stock vehicles that had not been F****d with.

What you have done makes it 1000 times more likely that there will be a BAD outcome.
    Do you REALLY not understand why that is ??

Bypassing a safety mechanism is NEVER a good thing to do, unless maybe it is just to move it a few feet and get out of traffic.

6. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And YOU certainly are an expert on that. :eek:

7. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You do realize Gen 1 and Gen 3 don't brick the car for isolation faults in the pack 612 right? Resistance levels are nominal. Its an electrolyte bridge I can see it. Toyota no longer bricks the cars in gen 3 for isolation faults in pack... that says alot about the danger.. Toyota actually has a P release talking about risk assessment that stranding the vehicle was more dangerous than allowing the vehicle to return to it's destination, thats why they no longer brick the vehicle... but I guess you know better right? Bypassing safteyyyy WahhhhhhhHhHh.. 1000 times more likley!!! lol.. cool math bro.. Go on somewhere crybaby

#27 Lighthouse-Beacon, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Blue Potato likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prodigyplace you arent very observant are you? "Lighthouse-Beacon, 37 minutes ago" Why don't you catch up before you post. Another 2017 prius steps into the thread ahahah.. go on somwhere gen 3.. you're not welcome here

10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, you want somebody with a Gen 4 to go to the Gen 3 thread? Here I thought users here were a "family" helping each other. My son had a Gen 2 many years ago and it is similar in may ways to my Gen 4. ( & His Gen 3 Prius v)

Raytheeagle and srellim234 like this.
  11. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just to clarify, I've made it 6 months driving on the Isolation fault which I isolated to the case with sub code 612 and verifying with this method:

As well as monitoring resistance levels and visually inspecting the leak area.

My plan was to keep driving until the computer ID'd the failing module. It has now done that and I am moving to my next plan phase. Which is change both module 15 & 16 and cleaning connections on entire pack.

P3018 Battery Block 8 Becomes Weak =

Gen II Module Position Map / Diagram

IMG_2806.PNG

(I am going to continue to add my documents and experiences with this in this thread regardless of what haters chime in because I know one day, could be years from now, this thread may prove valuable to someone else, which has been my case in the past)

12. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great clarification.
    Definitely on the right track.

Too bad more people don't have your experience.
    See plenty of modules that simply POP after a short drive leaving the driver stranded.

Lighthouse-Beacon likes this.
  13. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No that's fine.. But user's like you who chime into threads with negativity and animosity are useless. I see it time and time again on this forum. You posted snarky crap before you even read the thread.

14. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I've got a friend that works in an nyc taxi garage. i sent him my techstream live data and he said to keep driving. Cabby's do this all the time with moderate leaks with low resistance. It's not 'good' practice.. but the cabbies arent on this forum. They are driving hard miles to make money...

I think many users on here forget that the more you spend money/time on the vehicle the more you refute the entire point of HV, which is operational savings..

You might as wel buy a camry if you're into sinking cash into a 10 year old car with quarter million miles on it.. and go no HV

Id rather put my money in property and mutual funds.. and drive this vehicle in the ground and rinse and repeat

Will update as I proceed.. Thanks

15. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm the first to say that a hybrid will not save you money.
    Especially if you properly maintain it.

But cabbies are definitely know for short term frugality above all.
    New part costs $70, but used one is $67. Will always buy the used one. Often they figure the car could die from so etching else tomorrow (cse accident, theft, etc). Better to save the $3 now.

16. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Which has NO bearing on what YOU are doing.

The fact remains that IF another isolation fault develops somewhere else in the pack before you get it fixed, there likely will be maximum smoke and fire.

I personally don't like the odds.
    And I think it is irresponsible to "promote" something like this and potentially draw in others who might not fare as well.

But I do wish you luck. I don't wish for anybody to get fried in an electrical explosion.

17. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes people don’t figure it out until it punches them in the face. My friends brother used to let his young sons “be boys” in his car when he was driving. No seatbelts. One day he lost control of his Matrix and flipped it with his sons inside. One son got thrown out of the car and landed in a pile of dirt unharmed. The other rolled around in the car and was also unharmed. He made them wear their seatbelts after that.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two

So we’ve got an “If” story here...cool... cool.. lol

19. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And a story about the inportance of seatbelts here... lol... great thanks for the insight? Why even post in my thread? Just go on somewhere Christ

20. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Watch me take the steps I did. Make it 6 months. Repair a set of modules and clean and go another 2 years and do it again, then sell the car and there be no issue and you guys will say, “oh I was the lucky one” no not the case there are thousands of others who do the same or similar but they don’t log into this forum to deal with grandpa lecture them on buying new cells for 1600 at the first site of a triangle. I’ll be the documented “lucky one” and maybe more will post so it time it won’t look so “lucky”. I’ve worked on far more complex machines than this Prius and guess what? I’ll be right.. and you’ll be logging into Prius chat running your mouth lecturing strangers with your “insider knowledge” not really helping anyone

Blue Potato likes this.