1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed a Switch to Keep Driving :)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lighthouse-Beacon, Nov 10, 2018.

1. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I challenge you to document that statement.

And unless you can DO that, I suggest that you just stop posting in this thread.

My guess would be a few dozen at most.
    And my guess is just as valid as yours is.......or more so.

AND.....human nature prevents people from wanting to admit that they made a big stupid mistake after it goes bad.

2. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I challenge you to shut your mouth and leave my post.

I'm waiting on my modules in the mail sh*t head. Just let the record show.. users like this are what makes this place..
    Yet Another Hybrid Battery Replacement | PriusChat

And you are this type of idiot "Sam Spade"

IMG_2835.jpg

bisco likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Public forum. Not "your" post.
    That's not likely to happen.

So.....where are those several thousand owners who are driving with an isolation fault in their battery packs ??

4. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My buddy at Utica Taxi Center literally sees hundreds of Taxis where cabby's do the exact thing to gen2s to keep them from being stranded from a leaker. I've sit and talked with him about this for hours and he told me to do this if I wanted and wait on the computer to see the bad mod to confirm with my min maxs im seeing in techstream. There is also a post on Luscious garage where they showed a picture of a battery disconnect switch on a cab. yes I know this isnt good practice and should be temporary but people do it more times than this forum has it documented. There are several threads here where people pull aux battery terminals to get to and from work or avoid tows while they wait to repair so quit acting like you are the gen2 messiah you've brought no value to this thread whatsoever.

New_York_Prius_cab.JPG

#44 Lighthouse-Beacon, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2019
  5. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Noice!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Lighthouse-Beacon likes this.
  6. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

Will you replace both modules that make up 'block 8'? Also keep an eye on blocks 7 and 9 as they look to be slightly weaker than the rest. It would be interesting if the temperature of every module was measured; I wonder if block 8 was getting hotter and has caused the blocks on either side to wear (slightly) faster?

That said, the voltage drop on Techstream isn't that bad (at least, not 1.2volts or more!). My WiFi OBD-II dongle + phone software lets me see parameters including 'NiMH delta', which is very helpful - as it may be that block 8 on your car is 'worse' when under load (charging or discharging).

Either way, I guess it has to go because of the leak!

Let us know how the repair goes!

7. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Things are going well. I cleaned everything last night and put it back together. Still waiting on modules. It was pretty dirty. I can see the electrolyte bridge to the case and to the floor of the vehicle. I cleaned everything up and the ground fault isolation code went away. Drove to work today and it's still gone. I moved number 15 and 16 to module 3 location and about halfway to work the ECU detected weak voltage, this time in mod 3., so I know number 15-16 are the problem. I am hoping one of them are the leaker as well, based on the splash area it would appear so. I am going to load test everything and match and place the new modules in (most likely just replace mod 3 pair). I'm going to balance with HobbyKing Quattro 4x6S Multi Charger with 3 discharges, and then parallel, then put the pack back in this weekend. I am proud of this little car. She doesnt go down without a fight. I've had it for over 150k miles and this is the first time it's ever had an issue with anything, nothing like a Toyota.

(...and to all the haters out there.. yes I'm glad I added a cut off switch.. No I didnt die in a battery explosion.. with 0.02 ohms across the blocks and a little sloshed electrolyte.. no one dies...if that causes this car to burn.. it needed to burn... )

IMG_2852.JPG IMG_2854.JPG IMG_2856.JPG IMG_2858.JPG IMG_2859.JPG IMG_2860.JPG IMG_2861.JPG IMG_2868.JPG IMG_2869.JPG

#47 Lighthouse-Beacon, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2019
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe you could start by taking your own advice?

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are willing I'd be interested in seeing a couple of follow up pics a couple of months from now to see how bussbars and nuts look.
    Nice pics.

10. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replaced 2 modules. I ended up using techstream and putting the car in reverse with brake pressed and discharging the pack until the other modules were the same voltage as my new modules showed on volt meter. I did not cycle/balance or touch a charger to any of the new mods or the pack because I didnt really have time, and i believe that to only be most relevant when youve got a dying pack.

I've driven 35 miles so far and I've got no errors. Voltage looks prety good. My resistance is alittle higher since the fix but I think thats because I am not isolation fault leaking from the pack anymore. The pack is pretty old so its still within decent levels.

Replacement mods came from MainelyHybrids on Ebay. Seems to be pretty good modules so far. Will update in the future and see how I do with no balance.

I will continue to monitor the other mods as they die off. See how far I make it.

2004 - 2009 Toyota Prius 7.8V NIMH Hybrid Battery Cells Module 2nd Gen | eBay

IMG_2892.JPG IMG_2899.JPG IMG_2896.JPG

11. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You had a good post going there.......until you mucked it up with a personal insult.

ALL aspects of discussion topics need to be covered.
    You even said yourself : "yes I know this isnt good practice and should be temporary ".

CAB drivers tend to do a LOT of things that shouldn't necessarily be recommended to the general public.

12. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I could care less what you think Sam Spade. People like you make me not want to take the time to post. But the person who doesn’t create an account and is helped by these threads is the reason I do. So do me a favor and GTFO.

bisco likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Who is the pot, and who is the kettle?

14. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is where I come in and give the ignore user function of Prius Chat is a wonderful thing:).

Give it a try(y).

15. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to lose my cool but it’s taxing defending every post I make with this guy.. don’t understand why he doesn’t just move along..

I may do things my own abit with the switch etc here but that doesn’t require condescending remarks and crap, get a life! I’m glad I still have the switch because I won’t have to pull aux batt if I throw a minor code and get bricked. My Prius is at 70 miles now. My accelation is better than it’s been in years. Will update in the future

maleko, landspeed and bisco like this.
  16. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Let's see......you have been here for about 6 months and made less than 40 posts.

Try making some posts that don't advocate things that are ill advised and dangerous......and I might actually agree with you sometimes.

It IS possible to hear people say things that don't agree with you without taking offense and wasting everybody's time with a sh** storm.

Try letting some of it roll off.
    Or don't. I really don't care.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But at least he is still on his first forum name. It hasn't been locked up, forcing him to re-sign on a new name such as "Lighthouse-Beacon 2".

18. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nor is lighthouse-beacon on the top ten list of people on the ignore list.

19. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh ok.... I’m starting to understand alittle bit now... lol thnx

20. Lighthouse-Beacon

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I think you do care Sam Spade... number 2!!! Hahah It all makes sense now