1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing backup camera in 2011 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by kehyler, Jan 22, 2015.

1. kehyler

kehyler Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Guys,

I'm interested in information on installing a backup camera in a 2011 prius Two (so no lcd in dash). Does anyone know information as the available options?

Thanks,

-David

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. kehyler

kehyler Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was under the impression that 2012-2014 installs were different because some vendors (on amazon) have products that state they only install on those date ranges. Am I mistaken?

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oh yeah, pre 2012 they had non color screen head units in lower level non nav Prius so makes sense. Maybe you'll get an answer here or you can search and see if anyone else did an after market install in a non nav 2010/11 vehicle.

5. kehyler

kehyler Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, and in my prius TWO, I don't even have a screen it would have to replace something there as well. Anybody know?

6. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First, look at the Audio section for more and better information.

I have a 2010 Prius Two. I purchased one of those cheap Chinese HUs a few months ago, which has a screen for the backup camera. The real reason for my purchase was for the in-dash GPS. It was difficult for me to see the screen on my iPhone 4S for use as a GPS. They gave me a backup camera, too. However, the camera they gave me required me to drill a hole somewhere in the back of the car to hold the camera. I didn't like that idea, so after searching a little bit, I found the camera that will fit in the cutout right near the license plate for about $25 on Amazon. But I'm told I have to install a voltage reducer from 12v to 3.5v, and that the power that is already there is 6v (or something like that. Sorry for the confusion, but I was confused, too). I purchased the voltage reducer, but haven't installed it, yet. I'm kinda scared I'll set fire to something, so I'm waiting for some smarter friends of mine to guide me. Sorry for the incomplete answer, but that's as far as I got.

However, I will say that I love my new in-dash GPS. It also has a built in connector for my iPhone 4S, so I can play my music on my iPhone. I'm disappointed that within this connector, it does NOT charge my iPhone. Can't figure that one out. It also doesn't exactly fit with the trim. I'm doing some adjustments to that it will fit.

But look at some of the threads in the Audio section. Those people are much smarter than me (and simultaneously confuse me).

Mike