1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intake Valve Location/questions - 2011

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by An2TheTwan, Aug 11, 2022.

1. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where are the intake valves located in the generation 3 Prius? If these are carbon fouled/stuck/need cleaning, could that cause engine shaking? I believe I have a blown head gasket but not 100% sure because I am not getting the normal symptoms (loosing coolant/milky oil etc..)

see my other thread for more details:

Considering Head gasket replacement - 2011 Prius - 215k miles - P0303 misfire | PriusChat

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Like my 2013 you may be running on three cylinders That's what happened to my 2013 and it didn't run long like that either I I stopped very quickly once it started making that racket The reciprocating mass turned and didn't hit a lot but just a little corner of the break and the rod kept smacking against the lower portion just below the girdle in the open deck assembly and when I pull the engine out I saw the break in that piece and of course I took pictures of it but that was that so there was no doing a head gasket I didn't think after the kid put the head gasket on and shouldn't have but that's another pile of mess..

3. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Tombukt2 - sorry this happened to your 2013 but trying to stay on topic here. I feel a head gasket kit is cheap enough to try and save my 2011.

Trying to be diligent and do anything/everything that is cheap that has a small chance at fixing the problem. A lot of the things I have been trying are general maintenance that should be done anyway.

Are the intake valves in the intake ports?
    [​IMG]

4. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the light is right or you use a flash light you can see them through the intake ports /
    So yes, they are just behind the ports /

An2TheTwan likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's a picture that shows where the valves are. You can see the valve stems at the back of the intake:

20211113_152054.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

An2TheTwan likes this.
  6. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks everybody!