1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent cruise control quit working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 04 Prius, May 22, 2017.

1. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all,
    I'm still racking up miles on my '05, but I've recently started having an issue that the cruise would randomly refuse to enable (on & ready to set). Sometimes driving a bit more & trying later it'd work. This became more frequent & the last few trips it seems to have decided to go on strike permanently. All systems are running well, and the only code I currently have is a failed catalytic converter, P0420, which has been on before this began. Is there a common thing known to fail I should look for before going on a witch hunt?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does your steering wheel controls all work? A common failure would be the clockspring cable, if it's been replaced after an accident. That can affect the cruise control.

Another place you can check is the brake lamp switch, if that's faulty, it would affect the cruise control too.

#2 JC91006, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's never been in an accident, the cluster of buttons on the lower right (look like window defrost emblems) haven't worked that I could tell since I got the car 3 yrs ago. I tried pulling up on the brake pedal & giving it a quick jar to see if that had any effect, it didn't. I have a car I was going to fix for the wife until I found out it has hidden structural damage, so I have a few spare parts to play with. Hadn't thought of the clockspring coil though. I'll try the brake switch first, since it's the easier of the two.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would think it's your clock spring cable, because you already have buttons that don't work.

5. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Makes sense, I shall look into it, thanks!

6. john59936

john59936 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2004 Gen 2 with 254k. Still maintaining 48-51mpg. Still using 1/4 quart or less every 5000 miles. Do regular and preventive services with local dealer. Cruise Control started acting up after an undercarriage wash at the car wash. Two weeks later, the cruise no longer works. Everything else functions normal, no issues elsewhere. Brake pedal sensor replaced new 2 years ago at Toyota. I've read in these threads about the clock spring, yet again, everything else functions normally. Suggestions?

7. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I still have yet to get into repairing mine, so I can't be of much help yet. Mine has only decided to work once since I started this thread.
    Have you had any dash lights or other issues since the wash?

8. john59936

john59936 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks to this website all is repaired. Everything is back to normal with CC working again, and all steering wheel buttons functioning.
    Patrick Wong is superb in his knowledge about Gen2 and Gen3 Prius. I scrolled the whole thread to get to
    andrewclaus who's tip on loosening the 3/4 nut, but keeping it on the steering shaft, then pulling the wheel loose without a puller was great advice. As was his comments about the VSC sensor being attached to the clock spring, and how to remove it. The 2004 prius airbag screws are #30 torque. I used these folks for the clock spring because they sell original Toyota with same warranty as the dealer at half the price. Others in the thread mentioned using the aftermarket, only to replace them in a year or so.

johnjohnchu likes this.
  9. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So it was indeed your clockspring cable then?
    I still haven't delved into mine, trying to get the wife's "new" '06 on the road, & it now looks like I will get to repeat this HV battery ordeal on my car before I do anything else, it is beginning to show evidence of imminent failure coming

10. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Having finally gotten the wife's car going & my HV battery fixed, I started checking into it, I noticed that driving 2-3mph & turning the wheel side to side while repeatedly pushing the "on" button, cruise would turn on or not work in certain positions. Replaced the spiral cable & cruise works, plus I have all the other buttons working again!