1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Introducing Myself and Expressing My Joy of Hypermiling

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PriusMPGenius, Apr 15, 2019.

1. PriusMPGenius

PriusMPGenius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Jad, that's amazing and you are very welcome. Yeah, I'm a little bit neurotic out on the highway and try to stay back behind the semis. Driving is statistically one of the most dangerous things we do everyday so putting a little emphasis on safety while on the road is a good thing.

What were you getting out there prior to working the hills?

2. jadd806

jadd806 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    If you're interested, here's a fuel-up history for over 130k miles tracked in my Prius:
    Long term owners mpg | PriusChat (It doesn't seem like the forum will let me link to Fuelly directly.)

Travelling with the cruise at 65-68 MPH, no hill working and no drafting yields about 46 MPG in winter, and ~50 MPG in summer. This was what I spent most of 2016 and 2017 doing. I would occasionally play around with basic hypermiling which is what resulted in most of the 53+ MPG tanks.

Cruise control set to 75 MPH and actively passing most cars on the road yields low 40's MPG in winter and about 46 MPG in summer. This is what I spent 2018 doing and as you can see it trashed my fuel economy. I only achieved 50 MPG once in all of 2018 and just barely. I believe this was during a heavy traffic anomaly when I simply could not speed for several days.

The trip meter for this tank is showing 54 MPG, so I'm expecting my actual MPG to be 51.x when I calculate it at the pump. Like I said earlier the average for my last 10 tanks is 43 MPG, so this would represent nearly a 20% increase. If I had to guess based on past experience I'd attribute 75% of this simply to slowing down and the remaining 25% to trying to work some of the hills out there.

3. PriusMPGenius

PriusMPGenius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Yeah sounds like you are on the right track. I find I actually enjoy driving slow if there's nice scenery out there. On our trip home we drive through the Berkshires, and I just find it absolutely stunning. There's great visuals of light over the mountains, different colors at different times of the year and a few bodies of water. I find it very relaxing and peaceful.

I also enjoy some good music while driving in my Prius. A lot of Brian Eno, Bowie, Miles Davis, Stereolab, CAN etc. You are lucky to be in Massachussetts, you have some access to really nice scenery and nature.

jadd806 likes this.