1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is anyone have this HITCH?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by scooter4n, Aug 31, 2012.

1. scooter4n

scooter4n Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  2. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't have any opinions on the Draw Tite brand hitch. A number of users have the Hidden Hitch brand hitch.
    Hidden Hitch

Check out the Rack thread for pictures of different bike hitch racks, Show Us Your Rack! | PriusChat

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Drawtight makes a good hitch. I have a Curt. Got it from etrailer...in fact its an advertisment on the top of this page.

Btw, you can buy the trailer light harness that has a little auxillary power supply and it plugs right into the back lights. You need an aux power supply as the car light circuit was designed for low current LED's so if you hook trailer incan's to the car's wiring it may exceed the car's current capabilites and may damage light harness harness. Do not chop the light wires to interface lights for the trailer. Got my wire kit from etrailer too. Plug & play. etrailer on ebay.

4. Ajvdub

Ajvdub New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I put the Curt hitch on as well, 4 bolts, with the car in the air and a ratchet, extension and socket it took me 8 minutes. It hides away well, no cutting needed and it looks clean.

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wish someone would come out with a hitch that will not rust. All these will be pure rust in 2 years in any area that gets snow.

6. scooter4n

scooter4n Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think IM going to stick to Curt 11469, looks good, easy install, no trimming.
    Thanks all

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    AS far as rust get Rustoleum shiny black paint and paint the hell out of the empty tubes. Thats where the water sits and it rusts out. Then after installation light paint of the 4 bolt heads. But make sure you lubricate those 4 bolts before installing them.

Lastly find some wide black tape. Don't drive around with the hitch in it. Tape off that empty hole the hitch sits in when not using it. Looks really good if done right. Looks like a nice blank hitch plate. My Curt is over 2 years old and not speck of rust on it or in it.

If you drive around with the hitch in it, it will rust up pretty quick.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some have it real easy and alot like me get a Curt that doesn't quite fit. The big mounting plate ears on the end sometimes don't align up with the chassis bolt holes. Mine was 1/4 of an inch off. There welding jig sucks.

Big long Curt thread about that somewhere. I had to ream it out and bend the ears. Added 2 hours to the job. I could have shipped it back & they would replace it but thats a hassle as the thing is heavy and would have put me
    behind shedule with my tow job.

Its still a good hitch if you get lucky. But don't be surprised if it don't fit.

And don't forget the trailer wiring kit. The one with the extra power supply. Its plug & play with no cutting of any harness. Think its $40.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gen II but I would imagine there crappy QC is across the board. Some people are lucky and there straight. Some are not.

12. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Since they use fixtures to fabricate weldments, I would like to know if anyone with a G3 has issues.

The rounded tubes on the Curt look nicer than square on Hidden Hitch.

13. Smee342

Smee342 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i got the curt hitch installed, it works great. i use mine for my bike rack.

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used the spray-on bed liner for our last two hitches and they look great w/o any rust (visible anyway).

15. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Curt went in smooth as... uh, well, it went in smoothly ;)

However, I highly recommend a 2" receiver! 95% of all accessories are 2". 1 1/4" to 2" adapters are available, but invariably, they are not a tight fit... albeit, they do go in smoothly....

For example, when the bike rack is not in use, I wanted a push bar/nerf bar to help protect the rear bumper.... nothing available for a 1 1/4" receiver.

16. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  17. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like anything on your car it will rust if you do not lubricate it. I sprayed this stuff on the car chassis mounting area where the wings meet the body, the bolt holes, and filled the inner tubes of the hitch and receiver area. Years later still looks like new. Entire car chassis is lubed also. Never a sound under there. No squeeks, no groans, no clunks. And no rust. This product is the best. NO SMELL and designed to be sprayed on things you don't want to rust. Its grease and stays where you spray it. Excellent product:

PB Blaster CSP Corrosion Stop Protectant 11oz | eBay

Do not use WD-40!!!

19. mnsweeps

mnsweeps Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

can you recommend a 2" receiver or which one did you install ? I too want to avoid the 1.25 to 2" adaptor.

20. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    there was a hitch early on in the G3 lifespan that was 2", but it's since disappeared.:(