1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it possible to swap a Gen 2 Prius engine by yourself? How?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priuslyfe, Jan 28, 2024.

1. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Basically, I think my 2007 Prius with 300K has a leaking head gasket. However I have a spare 2008 Prius with a fully-intact engine in my yard. Was thinking about swapping but don't know how nor whether or not its worth it.

Also how much is a 2007 Prius with 300K worth for resale in case I wish to sell it? Prefer not to as this car this car is already roughed-up for my dog's comfort.

EDIT: DANG! it doesn't seem possible to do without some semblance of having a shop.

EDIT 2.0: I am thinking I don't want to sell this Prius regardless. Worst case, I will have TWO spare Gen 2 Prius in my yard. For the amount you could sell it for don't think its worth it.

#1 priuslyfe, Jan 28, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Info:

priuslyfe likes this.
  3. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

yeah. as i suspected...a nightmare to do this in your yard.

basically i have a P0303 code and only used my OBD reader because my Prius is using a lot of oil (maybe 2 quarts every 1000 miles). I have driven with low-oil before as well. other than that there is pink coolant holding steady the car drives OK but definitely a loss of power on highway driving.

Was gonna check the spark plugs and whatnot later this week. but I used new Denso plugs and changed maybe 30K miles ago? I do not know.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, chilly/wet this time of year, in Columbus Ohio.

5. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    LOL.

its been raining all-day for the past 2-3 days. The temperature is probably 25F-35F.......it is raining right now.

I made an attempt today but working in cold rain is worse than when it is snowing (which I've done replaced my water pump when it was snowing). I guess I understand the intention behind Chinese water torture a little better now.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Shop only can't do it in your yard You must be from another country or something people do this in their yard all the time That's a 1NZ Yaris engine coupled to a transmission that has some electrical funkiness inside of it other than that it looks just like a Yaris engine and transmission but has a battery in the trunk and another smaller battery in the rear quarter panel that has nothing to do with this for the most part this is an easy swap at your house or mine pretty much It would be good to have an engine hoist It would be nice if your driveway or you had a concrete area but it's not a necessity You can let the car down with the engine and transmission if so desired on the hoist and push the car back push the other car up to the hoist after you set the other engine down so on and so forth You just have to think about this for a minute You can construct an A-frame with swing set brackets at your house and hang an electric winch on that a frame The engine and transmission in a Yaris Prius are not enough to talk about breaking that 4x6 beam and 4x4s in the legs of the swing set frame I have this set up at my house right now I'm looking out the window at it It's also on a slight downhill so when I lift an engine out of the car set the car back on its four tires it will roll with me just touching the car I don't have to really push it or hook another vehicle to it to move it out of the way or anything like that this is a very simple and very quick job at houses that I frequent No problem I don't know who on video is saying you must have a shop to do this that is too funny I have a funny feeling you narrowed your search to some kind of way with the keyword that is not helping you or something this is stupid easy and if you really want to take the whole car apart and have a good old time you can do it without a hoist and just have some friends come over when you need to move things You could drop the whole front suspension out of the front of the car and set the engine crossmember transmission drive axles struts all of it right on the ground for friends pick up the front end of the car literally and push it back to 3 ft and there's your complete engine assembly on the crossmember with the struts and everything sitting right there That's your junky one slide that out of the way with a rope on the back of your toe hook on another car now bring the car forward that has the good engine and transmission and do the same thing that you just did a minute ago now with the help of your friends drag the car back that doesn't have the engine in it that you hope to put this engine in and set it right down on the three bolt strut tops Don't worry you don't have to get them to line up yet just set it down so they're there now you put your jack on each side of the rocker panel lift up just to clear the studs sticking out of the top plates of the struts and move the chassis around or the strut tops around till they line up drop that side down on the strut towers so on and so forth and whatever It is not whatever people are thinking it is or I'm a mechanical genius and I can assure you I am no mechanical genius so there's always that.

7. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well there is some hope its not the head gasket. It seems that this forum says P0303 usually is with a high mileage Gen 2 (mine has 300K). So I was mentally preparing myself to do the job myself. I don't like asking for help and I'm sure my friends would be like "Just get rid of that piece of junk!".

I plan on first doing 1 & 2 before attempting an engine swap. I have a spare Gen 2 Prius though and sometimes I feel i am excited to use the spare parts Gen 2 rather unnecessarily.

1. checking spark plugs, coils
    2. fuel injectors

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No actually they'll come over and drink some beer and burn one and they'll pick that sucker up and move it back or maybe you don't have that option I have no idea $300,000 miles on the one NZ that's well broken in that should not be blown up using so much oil that you can't drive it or any of that nonsense shouldn't be anyway but then again if it was seriously abused it is possible but the change out in your driveway is pretty uneventful really You want to get it done before it gets 100° outside I will tell you that.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You're thinking of cylinder number 3 misfire is taking out your engine or your head gasket is leaking putting the fire out causing the missing number three seriously so if you pull number three coil and plug out of its well. With your nose and your face sitting over that hole you just created straight down to piston number three You should have a laughed of coolant smell coming up in your face and nose Do you have this Do you know what coolant steaming smells like take some coolant from your vehicle and put it in a little pot and now heat it until it starts to well kind of vaporize get familiar with that smell everyone should know that smell even little kids You want to smell that smell over the number three hole that you just put by removing the spark plug and the coil You should smell that smell right now since you're at it do the other three cylinders Do you smell that smell Do you see little tiny droplets of water coolant or liquid on the tip and end of your spark plug the minute you pull it out of the hole not after you set it down in 20 minutes Right now while it's on the end of the spark plug socket look with a magnifying glasses or you're reading glasses You see those little droplets or you don't wet your finger stick your tongue to the tip of the plug and now stick your tongue back on your finger Do you taste ethylene glycol You won't forget it It will not kill you The dog has to drink a lot of it you'd have to drink more?? I'm thinking probably not.

priuslyfe likes this.
  10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes but only takes 6 hours if you got a friend:

11. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

You should come over and help me. I'll have this waiting for you...

[​IMG]

12. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    this is good advice. right now its cold & raining outside. will update in the next few days.

Also why don't the other spark plugs codes also come up? Why is it only on the 3rd cylinder rather than the others as they all are in the same condition (changed some 30K miles ago)?

13. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    P0303 is not just spark plug code, it's everything related to that cylinder... compression, injector and ignition coil can cause that code too. Have you tried swapping coils and injectors?

14. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No. I will do that in the next few days. I have plenty of spare parts and will update this thread. I was just preparing myself for the worst case scenario.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I changed an oil pan on our grandson's beater Honda Civic, a bit over a week back. Needed to disconnect exhaust at exhaust manifold and drop down for clearance as well. Right now the lingering piles of snow have melted, and we've got +50F, air flow coming up from Hawaii. But doing that pan, and I'd never done anything that arduous, it was +10~15F. I've got an unheated garage, barely warmer: had two infrared dishes, on either side at front of car. I was dry, on a semi-clean slab, but still not a lot of fun.

Doing an engine swap, outdoors, in those temps, ugh...

Next up, we make do a driveshaft replacement.

16. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes generally so or the coil in a 1NZ head jobs are kinda rare.