1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Pep Boys lying to me about battery??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Idohair2, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Idohair2

Idohair2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have been having issues with our 2008 Prius (114k miles) for some time now. Random lights on dash light up when trying to start. “P” lock mechanism error. All lights on dash come on when trying to start but no engine. Shut down. Try again and engine starts fine.
    We bought a Bosch battery from Pep Boys last year (yes. It was correct one). My husband had to change the Post terminals to fit the Bosch. All was ok for about 6 months. We are now 11 months in and the car needs to be jump started every time. Took it to Pep Boys. They said battery tests fine and to take it to dealer.

Here is what dealer said “Poor battery test results. Incorrect post terminals found. Battery failed CCA test, and found terminals after market. Terminals are causing less current that needed to pass into vehicle.

*Battery improper installation/hardware found. All DTCs present caused by low voltage to ECM and necessary component. “

Did my husband screw up the install? He followed a YouTube video. Lol.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

The battery can't be the correct one if it needs terminals to make it work. Get a new 12 volt battery an Optima Yellowtop is popular model #DS46B24R thats what I have or the factory battery which is a superior battery but kinda expensive.
    Whatever you buy it should drop in and have a vent if it needs "accessories" to work its not the right one.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Bosch Premium Performance Battery Group, Size 51 | 647478 | Pep Boys

That does not inspire me.

The first photo has a handle, the correct JIS "pencil" posts and says 4 year free replacement.
    The second photo has no handle, the incorrect SAE "tapered" posts and says 3 year free replacement.
    The third photo also has no handle, the incorrect SAE "tapered" posts and says 3 year free replacement.
    Several of the reviews mention beating the brackets into shape, this may mean they got the wrong battery or that they had a non smart key Prius, which used a smaller battery.

I wish you luck.

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Classic symptoms of a poor/failed 12v battery.

Well that battery is dead. Doesn't matter if you replaced it 2 weeks ago. It is possible the battery can die from a dome light being left on, or keeping the SKS fob nearby. If you have to jumpstart it, the battery is dead. It needs to be replaced.

What tests? Your own admission is that you have to jump start it all the time. It can't possible "test fine".

Also sounds like dealer BS to me. In a Prius, there is no concept of CCA. CCA is "Cold Cranking Amps". Ask the dealer to point out where the starter is, the thing that cranks the engine over... Can't find it? Good, because MG1 uses the HV battery to "crank" the engine and it has absolutely nothing to do with the 12v battery. The 12v battery just primes the brakes and then flips a couple relays. If you had a non-hybrid, then yes those statements could be correct. But this sounds like the tech looked in the back, saw the terminals and said, "yeah that doesn't work to crank the engine!" completely oblivious to how a Prius actually works.

You need a new 12v battery. No ifs, ands, or buts. Then the question becomes why did a new battery only last 11 months? Did you get a lemon battery? Do you constantly listen to the radio with the car off? Leave lights on? Doors open? Store the SKS keys in the garage on a hook by the car? Is your inverter dying (akin to a bad alternator in a "normal car")?

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Optima batteries are junk batteries, don't buy them!!! Just look at their BBB ratings and online reviews if you want to know how bad their fake batteries are... 12v Mobility/home Computer back up power supply batteries from Batteries Plus are only $140 and have 55 amp-hour capacity, which adds to their lifespan way more than all the other options.

As for the terminals, please share a picture of them... I think Toyota Stealership is saying it's way worse than it really is, especially if you got 6 months out of it. Their diagnosis has more to do with making an excuse to move on to the next car to repair and go home early. We're not talking high voltage here, just a simple 12v battry connection with no cranking amps load. You'd have to be pretty goofy at car work to mess this one up in the way they said. Please let us know more details with pics...

6. Idohair2

Idohair2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s a Bosch 51-440BAGM. When I put my make model and year into Pep Boys website, this is one of the choices for 2008 Prius.

7. toymo

toymo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 for the OPTIMA Yellow Top. Mine is still working even after 5+ years of rough and tumble, dare I say, abusive operation. A good competitor to the OPTIMA would be the BOSCH AGM 440 (51-440BAGM) found at Pep Boys. These are two great brands at an unbeatable performance and reliability rating. Everything else is strictly a gamble.

None needed. If you examine the 3 photos located in the above link closely with the zoom function, you will notice, discover, and realize that Pep Boys uploaded the incorrect photos (2nd & 3rd) for the BOSCH battery model 51-440BAGM. I say this because I actually bought one of these from Pep Boys to keep on standby as an emergency spare and it performs marvelously. No modifications needed.

#7 toymo, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pep boys is lying. demand a new, correct size battery. you should never have installed the incorrect one, but it doesn't affect anything except that you had to change the terminals, and will have to change them again.

KK6PD and Idohair2 like this.
  9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess, is this is the problem.

10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Me too. You might have corrosion at the point the battery terminals connect to the wires. The battery could be perfectly fine but the power cannot make it to the rest of the car. You should pimp slap whoever told you that was the correct battery for the car. The correct battery would never need the terminals replaced to work due to a different size.

Robert Holt likes this.
  11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Until you see pics of the battery terminals and how they've been mounted you're simply siding with the way too often dishonest Toyota Stealership rather than OP...

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All you clowns need to wake up! Friends don't let friends use garbage batteries on a car that's 12v needs are so much more minor than most cars that they make people think garbage batteries are great...

FYI:
    Optima batteries are junk!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Optima battery double failure | IH8MUD Forum

Odd (and alarming) failure mode of Optima 12V battery | PriusChat

New Optima battery failure | PriusChat

Yet another thread about a dead Optima battery | PriusChat

13. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m making a suggestion based on experience and the information on hand. I’ve seen this happen before. You on the other hand are just knocking dealerships and Optima battery’s as usual. Who is actually giving helpful information here? It ain’t you. Also why would a parts store sell someone a battery that you have to change the terminals to use? If that’s not incomptance I don’t know what is.

edthefox5 and Idohair2 like this.
  14. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am trying to correctly imagine the situaion in lieu of photos of the installation. I imagine the husband used some kind of adator that clamped onto the new battery + and - terminals and in turn had terminals that he could get the wiring harness + and - clamps to hold onto. If so , there are 4 connecting surfaces , any of which may have either oxidation or just a loose connection that would cause too high resistance and thus low effective voltage into the car’s circuit, and thus the low voltage problems.
    1. Getting a new , correct size and terminal placement battery is the simplest and safest solution.
    2. But if the current battery can be successfully recharged to the correct voltage and you are determined to make it work, you could try very carefully cleaning ALL of the mating metal surfaces on that adaptor and the clamps, and then reassemble taking care that the surfaces match up properly and the clamps are all clamped down at the correct torque. There are tools specifically made to clean battery terminals and clamps, but you can also clean off the oxidation with copper or steel wool as long as you are VERY careful to avoid shorting out the battery or yourself whilst doing so , and then clean up meticulously to avoid the metal particles forming an alternative ground circuit which would drain your battery.
    3. But please make absolutely certain the battery is correctly vented as having hydrogen and oxygen gasses released into the car cabin during the charge cycle is as dangerous as a natural gas leak in a home.

15. Idohair2

Idohair2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

16. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kind of glad I only buy the Toyota TrueStart for $190.

Great warranty, and it all fits. I am to the point that the potential cash savings is not worth the potential headache.

17. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yikes, I’ve never seen a battery thread turn into an oil thread. Lots of passion over battery choice…

My only thought is that five years on a battery isn’t anything to brag about. I just replaced the factory battery in my ‘06 last week, and I was still working just fine. They can last a long time if they stay charged.

18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a lot of options for batteries... Just because the battery you choose doesn't have the same terminals doesn't mean you can't reconfigure how it's set up... Every battery I've ever put in a Prius requires modifying the battery terminals because I believe in putting the very best battery in the car, not a lower quality battery that happens to have the right terminals. And granted, you could screw this process up if you don't know what you're doing, but we haven't seen OP's pictures of how it looks, yet.

As for Optima, there's more than enough documentation in links I provided above as to what's wrong about Optima...

In addition, one of Optima's more absurd claims is that bad 12 volt batteries aren't bad they just need re-charging and people throw away perfectly good Optima batteries just because the voltage can get lower than normal car chargers can handle and you need a special charger for Optima batteries. That's so dishonest... And granted they were the very best batteries you could buy back in my car stereo installation days decades ago, but they're total junk now.

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I noticed my 6 year old battery was showing 11.9v and I thought "Do i want to be stuck somewhere to see how long it will go?" and had it changed out.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haha, the coincidence is awesome. This was my exact thought and voltage when I replaced my 12-year-old battery.