1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is there a kWh meter for 220 volt operation?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by CaliforniaBear, Feb 5, 2013.

1. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've done a search here with no success as well as a Google search.

2. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well yes and no. You probably have one on your house it's called your electric meter. That's pretty much what you would need for 220v. The internals can be had as E-Meters but they're still pricey. Check this post for a view of engineering evaluation kits. Attention Kill A Watt Nerds

3. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This works well for 240V and you can monitor the whole house as well as separate circuits or sub-panels.

The Energy Detective (TED)

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    There is a version of the Kill-A-Watts appliance for 220 volts, mostly for the European market. Search on e-Bay.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yes - you can buy something like a Fluke clamp-on Amprobe ... but you gotta know how to use it. That requires clamping onto just one wire ... because if you clamp over both wires, it'll see the (AC) power of each wire traveling in the opposite direction, and tell you there's zero amps moving through your wires :)

6. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    +1 for TED. I've been using mine for about two years now. My main criticism is that you're limited to only 4 measuring devices (MTUs). I'm using mine to monitor my solar panel system, my wind turbine, and then two separate elec panels (home and an outbuilding). I'd love to have another 4-5 MTUs to be able to monitor specific circuits, but you don't get that without stepping up to a much higher-priced system. For what you pay it's been very useful and reliable and seems to be fairly accurate (the solar readings are only off by about 3% compared to the data from my enphase microinverters). And you can calibrate the MTUs if you find that the readings are "off" for some reason based on your other testing.

Plus, the Ted the Toolbar add-on for Firefox is great, as is the AndTed android app. Once you start monitoring your elec use it's addictive...just like trying to maximize your EV usage on your PiP you'll try to find ways of reducing that elec use...I recall reading a study somewhere that just like dieting...the mere act of consciously monitoring your elec use results in at least a 15% or so reduction in elec use because you become aware of your loads and are reminded to turn them off or otherwise modify your behavior...

If you're just interested in some isolated readings then TED doesn't make much sense. But if you were to install TED on just the 220/240 circuit you're using to charge your PiP AND you weren't using that circuit for other loads, TED has the advantage of giving you a cumulative figures (day, month, year totals, history, etc.) that you may find useful.

CaliforniaBear likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    great .... More screens and more buttons .... just what I need for my OCD...
    :p

8. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks to all for the info on TED. Its not cheap but would do a really good job of tracking PIP 220 volt power usage.

9. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    All you'd need to do is to buy a used analog Watthour meter for a house, a meter socket and wire it before the charging outlet.

Analog meters are being widely removed from service by utilities and are being replaced with digital Smartmeters and ones that are being read wirelessly. Check with your local utility. Some co-ops might give them away free, if you're a customer.

Old round 60 amp meter sockets are left abandoned when old houses are rewired. I've seen many disconnected ones on many houses in old neighborhoods. They might also be had for FREE.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's a good idea. At worst, I've seen ebay deals ... $35 for the meter and $30 for the socket. daveinoly already does this kind of setup.

13. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You probably need more than 16 amps, right?

We have 230V~ mains voltage and a standard 16A plug-in watt/Wh meter is 15-20 euro's... :) Not sure what the effect of the different frequency is though... (We have 50Hz, you 60 iirc)

For my solarpanels I found a digital 90A meter for 15€ (new, as used in France as an official electricity meter, but they are nowhere to be found now...) and you can still find used Ferraris meters for 10€ and upwards.

Had a quick look on the local Ebay equivalent, but I didn't find any suppliers with enough stock and low-enough prices to consider a groupbuy to ship e.g. 20 meters over.

14. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    looks like no one bid on it.

15. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I guess if you have a $30K car there isn't much point in saving $100 on measuring the watt-hours :)

lensovet likes this.
  16. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you decide to go with the new model ?

I have the old model but I am getting ready to send it in for an update and might just give it to my brother and get the new model.

I was holding out for a model that supported the HomePlug/IEEE 1901 standard.

17. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since I don't expect to have the car until maybe next year I can put off that important decision for a while :) I expect I may just go with the 110 volt charger. Three hours charge time shouldn't be much of a problem.

18. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good. If you get the TED earlier, you can probably end up saving enough electricity over the next year to power that PiP. I think the average is about 15% savings just from understanding and monitoring your loads. Of course $200+ buys a few kWh as well.

19. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We're getting solar panels next month that should reduce our electricity from the power company about 80%. The associated monitoring system should be useful in monitoring our various loads.