1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JDM engine swap, now check hybrid system and p0118 issues

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Eggtea, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Eggtea

Eggtea New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've searched the forums and can't find anything about this... I just swapped my 300k engine with a 50k JDM engine and when I try to turn the ignition on the check hybrid system warning turns on immediately and all of the dash warning lights stay on. The engine doesn't try to turn over and when I check for codes the p0118 is the only thing that is triggered.

Tried clearing the code and it immediately triggers again. I tried resetting the hybrid system multiple times and already checked both temp sensors for the coolant system, the one in the engine and the one behind and above it. Also plugged in my old temp sensors and it is still triggered.

Any other thoughts or ideas on how to fix this?
    Are there Japanese components that may be causing this for an American Prius?

2. Eggtea

Eggtea New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also my rear passenger window won't let me controll it from the driver controlls, but the control on that door still works? Not sure if that could have anything to do with my main issues.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a section in the owner's manual that states you need to initialize the window or something like that. It was covered in a post I read not too long ago.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure if you read this

P0118 after head gasket replacement and full engine coolant change | PriusChat

5. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd check wire integrity from the sensors to the ECU, I'd think an engine swap would be wire pinching/pulling heaven.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The windows need to be re-programmed by using them.

Do you have any way to test your temp sensors with other temp sensors?

How did you test your sensors?

Double-checked all the wires and plugs to it?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just in case:

upload_2022-6-27_7-21-7.png

8. Eggtea

Eggtea New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used another reader and the historic fault is p0118 and two other codes that won't clear are C1259 and C1310. The orange battery plug is clicked in completely and is charged about 70% the 12v is at 12.7v

All of the ground wires are attached correctly on the engine and both coolant temp sensors work fine, the wires to the sensors also have a current.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Eggtea

Eggtea New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would there be any components from the JDM motor that wouldn't be compatible with an American Prius? My dad wants to swap out the throttle body and both temp sensors with the old ones on my last engine.

10. Eggtea

Eggtea New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just found out the inverter wasn't plugged in completely. Although now we realize that the radiator fans aren't turning on... Which was prob one of the contributing factors to my last engine overheating.

Anyone know a general cost to replace the radiator and fans? Thinking about letting a shop do this. Although if you know how to trouble shoot this that would be great before I take it in.

11. blackpriusv7

blackpriusv7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have the same problem with jdm swap and vehicle will not start. Did you figure it out? what was wrong in your case?

12. Eggtea

Eggtea New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I guess my dad didn't connect all of the ground wires properly from the inverter. So it would trigger the check hybrid system and wouldn't power on. I also reset the hybrid battery a few times by disconnecting the orange tab and the white cable in the fuse box area under the hood. Then it would start.

After the new engine my O2 sensors had to be replaced and then my catalytic converter started triggering the check engine light every few days. My prius is over 300k miles so it was inevitable to replace the cat.

Also my AC stopped working after the replaced engine, I think a wire might have got pinched/torn during the replacement. Although the blower and heater works and the AC is charged.