1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JDM Signal mirrors install video

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Philatc, Mar 2, 2012.

1. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    By the way, ucsmfu, I got my heating elements off successfully, put over onto the blue running LED mirrors, got them put back together about 4:30 this morning (2 weeks of fighting with them....%*%&!!!) and will run them back to the bodyshop in the morning to be put back on the car. Hopefully they work just fine. Didn't have anything to test them with at the house, but they give every sign of having come off and went back on w/ no mishaps.

And, that eBay seller who sells the JDM blue convex heated mirrors DID confirm that his heated blue convex mirrors DO work on the US model Prius, for those who were wondering about that particular set. It just lacks the LED lights behind the mirror glass.

2. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ordered mine can't wait to install!! This will help a lot. Thanks!!

3. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    hey congrats :)

really ?

I got mine installed at Toyota and they told me that it doesn't fit in the us version cause the motor part is different and won't hold ?

4. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, just to clarify, which motor are we talking about? The mirror adjustment motor? The folding motor? Defroster part? Want to make sure I'm talking/asking aboout the correct part!

5. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    oops, sorry i wasn't clear enough, the mirror adjustment motor, the square white one, doesn't fit ><

6. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    oh, ok. I asked about the heating part since that's what I was fighting with on mine at the moment! lol! I'll have to ask him again and see what his answer is since your Toyota people told you that the adjustment motor part of the mirror wouldn't work on the US Prius. Do you know if your Toyota people tried swapping the motor over to the other side mirror? After my bodyshop has gutted 3 sets of mirrors now and swapped parts amongst all of them, I assume that could be done....but maybe that's the type of thing that the dealership wouldn't be cool with trying to do.

7. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

The motor thing couldn't be taken off to transfered over, I asked before I went and bought a new replacement, apparently the whole motor is connected to the whole mirror base, so if ur mirror motor breaks, you got to replace the whole unit ><

I know it sucks !!!

I still have my us version of the motor mirror body and base, and the mirror itself too.

It's up for sale if anyone is interested, blizzard pearl colour

8. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmmm, I wonder if they just didn't know any different, cause my bodyshop initially had the same reaction when I told them my intentions with my mirrors and the other set of folding ones, but my patience and prodding eventually led to them totally gutting both my mirrors, and the other set of Japanese folding mirrors, and piecing together all the various parts to make mine a working set that will do all the different things I'm wanting (knock on wood). I'm 90% sure that the defroster part of the Japanese folding mirror set was used in my U.S. mirrors. I'm still not quite sure where all the leftover parts are right now at the bodyshop, but they're supposedly in a large carton of all my to-take-home stuff. I think that the only thing I really HAD to use my US Prius mirror shells for was because the base of the folding mirror set (the stub/stalk that is mounting onto the car door) was different on the folding mirror set (from a Japanese Toyota Wish) and wouldn't fit at the right angle onto the door of our car. I think the top part of our mirror and the Toyota Wish set were just the same, but that stalk part was a tad different. I know the Wish mirrors also came with the signal markers on the covers, but I didn't ever compare them to our eBay set that everyone bought from the eBay seller. Since I had already bought the eBay ones, I intended to use them. I'm not sure if the Wish ones have the puddle lights. Seems the other 2 lighting parts on the signal covers looked just the same as the eBay set, but I never thought when they were in my hands to see if the Wish set also had the puddle lights. The wiring inside the Wish mirror housing has a plug/harness inside each one (behind the mirror glass) that I know the bodyshop guy said was for the signal lights to plug into, for what that's worth. I'll have to double-check and make sure it has all the plug holes for all the wires that are with our eBay set of signal markers. Don't want it to be missing a needed "plug-in" on the harnesses for one of the functions our signal markers have. Oh, well. I'm rambling useless info, and it's 4 a.m., and I need to get at least 3 hours sleep tonight before the day begins again!

9. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let me know how things turn out cause I just bought the "wish" folding mirrors. This is gonna be fun.

10. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great! As slow as crap is going with my car, you'll prob get yours finished b4 I do! lol! Stopped at the bodyshop today, and the stupid paint guy still hadn't painted 2 pieces of the body kit he was supposed to have done a month ago....then he said would be done 2 weeks ago....then would be done end of last week....and still not painted. I decided to also have him paint the inside of the mirrors white, too (I had them paint all the outside parts white), cause I think you could see the black showing on the inside with the mirror glass put back in. He said he was "snowed in" with everything bombarding him at once needing painted at the moment.... My car has been there for 6 months on the 27th of this month... I can understand how he would need extra time still... lol:confused:

11. sLick415

sLick415 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How did you route the passenger black puddle wire over to the driver's A post? It doesnt seem like the wire's long enough.

Edit: Nvm, got it! :D

12. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just had to say that those vids helped me install my jdm mirrors also!! Thanks!!

13. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Glad they helped you.

14. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for posting the videos Philatc. It really helped my install. Thanks!

15. 510bg

510bg Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So the sigma setup cost $500? Couldn't really tell from the website. Ebay setup 150 puddle

Motor for Folding is separate in both setups

16. Dr Reid

Dr Reid New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    very nice! i want these mirror signals on mine too.

17. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Check out the siiiiiig

LG-H811 ?

18. Tipjar

Tipjar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Philtac or anyone who did this mod. It's now been four years since the original (amazing) post. Did the LED components remain reliable over time on the JDM turn signal mirrors?. They are still available on Sigma Automotive's website for $275 or through eBay seller mitaccessories1 for $179 ($129 base + $30 paint match + $20 shipping to USA).

And anyone care to guess why Toyota has made turn signal mirrors standard on the lower priced Prius C for a couple of years now, but still not on the Prius?

As long as I'm posting...The eBay listing includes a video of a motorized version of the JDM signal mirrors (even though the listing is only for the mirrors). Has anyone here tried that mod? I'm guessing it requires motorized mounts and a special dash switch, and wondering if the folding option can be operated at will rather than automatically each time the car is powered on or off. I'm also concerned the extra moving parts would be one more thing to fail over time...I'm asking the seller and will update if I get more info.

Sorry, I had helpful links in here but as a new member was not allowed to include links.

sfv41901 likes this.
  19. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Original 3in1 signals were still going strong 3 years later.

As for the folding mirrors, check out this DIY Install write up I did

HOW TO DIY: JDM Folding Mirrors with Signals | PriusChat

iPhone ?

20. Tipjar

Tipjar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Finally finished reading all 14 pages of that thread. A real education! Kudos to you for mentoring so many through the process, and thanks for pointing me towards it. I have a few questions I'll post over there.

sfv41901 likes this.