1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jumper cables -- time to say goodbye??

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thinking it is time to say bye to my old faithful jumper cables. I have two sets, both dating back to the 1980s.

Four-gauge, thirty feet each. They have served me well and in a couple of cases had to chain both sets together to jump either my rig or someone else.

But, they are big, heavy and take up a fair amount of space. I very seldom carry them in the cars anymore, I have jump packs.

If I go through with it, they will join the timing light and the tach, which I decided a few years ago were no longer needed.

I blame it on Chapman's post to a newbie about what to do about a dead battery.-- which reminded me ....

ChapmanF Senior Member

And in the days before compact jump boxes, we would try to flag down a friendly-looking passerby who might have jumper cables.

#3 ChapmanF, Wednesday at 11:15 PM

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I had my dad's friend make me an EC5 pigtail with lugs to attach directly to the 12 volt in the rear passenger quarter. Conveniently, when my 12 volt died 2 years, ago, I just connected the jump pack, pushed the start button and drove off. Since the pigtail had a diode that prevents back feed EC5 lugged cable.jpg jumper cable on Prius V.JPG from the car's charging system to the jump pack, I just left it connected, until I went to Batteries Plus and got a new battery.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing I’m thinking should be done with jumper cables, is completely separate them. Then, starting with positive: completely connect both ends, THEN go get the negative cable.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    And there's probably enough copper in each of them to make twelve sets of modern-grade ones.

Recycle responsibly and pocket more than a few pennies.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For anyone in Vancouver, BC: there’s a place called “Happy Stan’s”; they take most scrap metals, wiring, small motors/appliances, old mowers and barbecues, and so on.

https://happystan.com/what-we-recycle/