1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just picked up a cherry 2001, have a question

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by WootWoot, Feb 11, 2017.

1. WootWoot

WootWoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought a 2001 from a dealer for $2,700. White, 101K. The extensive service history on this car is amazing, it's been to the dealer nearly 40 times, both for scheduled maintenance and repairs. It's in fantastic condition inside and out. The Toyota website blew my mind in that I could sign up, put in a vin, and get a detailed service history for the past ten years. I think I found what I was really looking for, and wanted to ask you guys if I was right. Here was the dealer description:

[​IMG]

Am I right in assuming this is the main traction battery? Since the ECU is involved, I figure that has to be what happened. My main concern on buying this car was the age of the traction battery.

This is a neat little car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 WootWoot, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, the battery edu was replaced.

welcome! congrats and all the best. sounds like you got a keeper, take good care of her!(y)

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and no, you can't assume the HV battery was replaced as well.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    missed that, thanks. if you cannot find out, i would assume the battery is original. looks like only the ecu was replaced.

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can always call the dealer and ask

6. WootWoot

WootWoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Upon further investigation, it appears it was just the computer assembly and not the battery. Drat.

7. WootWoot

WootWoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By the way, is there any way to look at the battery and see if it was original or replaced?

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's working okay, worrying about the battery is pointless. Symptoms of Prius Battery Paranoia, I'm a prime example.

My little 03 is as nice as yours, btw., except your dash is pristine and mine is glued back together. The price on yours was pretty good, too. They are great little cars & l like the more corolla styling. Doesn't scream Prius like the 04 and later do.

My Prius story is that I found a 98 Ram 1500 in a shop's storage yard. Really siezed engine. $150 for the truck, an engine I had in storage and a set of tires later, it was a pretty nice truck. I swapped it straight up for my Prius. & never looked back. I went from trying to park and manoever a white battle ship that got 14 mpg to a trim, peppy little sedan that gets 40. I feel good everytime I drive it!

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep driving it and start saving up for another traction battery but don't let that worry take over your life.
    I've seen people pay $5,000 for a ragged out G2 that..........needs a traction battery.
    You're already ahead of the game.
    Did the dealer provide a carfax report?

I'd also start thinking about changing out the transaxle fluid and buff up on the maintenance schedule. I seem to remember some 120,000 mile maintenance that's coming up like plugs, belt, etc....

Other than that???
    Great looking G1.

Hope it works out for you!
    Keep in touch!

11. WootWoot

WootWoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dash WAS pristine, haha. The main problem with the car was the information screen had deteriorated due to heat or something and could barely be read. Since that is the coolest part of the interior, I had to replace it. I picked up a used one on ebay for $50. I had read how the panel was brittle and may break, and boy mine sure did - into about 20 pieces. I went ahead and ordered a new panel from Toyota. On the plus side, the new screen works great.

#11 WootWoot, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  12. WootWoot

WootWoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Yes, I got a clean Carfax report that was about 10 pages. Oil and all filters changed religiously. Every single recommended service was performed on this car, including brake system flushes, fuel injector flushes, a coolant flush, a power steering flush and a transmission flush. 12V battery has been replaced twice and the spark plugs have been replaced twice. Dealer-performed service since it was new.

Repairs include replacements of exhaust pipe assembly, two oxygen sensors, fan belts, rear hub bearings, ECU computer assembly, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, mass air flow sensor, stabilizer links and sway bar, front ball joints and steering links, the front brake pads and rotors, and more.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Out of curiosity, how did you set about removing it? Any tools involved, and where did you start?

-Chap

14. WootWoot

WootWoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chap, I read a bunch of stuff and even watched a video. After removing the four screws/bolts, I was as gentle as possible. I used my hands to pry - no tools. Two of the four tabs in the top of the dash broke right away, along with cracks in a number of other areas. In trying to push it back it, that's when it broke up in several other areas, basically falling apart in my hands.

You have to remember the car has been in Florida for over 10 years. Extreme heat. I feel very comfortable in saying I had absolutely no chance at saving that thing no matter what I did.

15. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think there's any way to remove the dash without it breaking. And the new dash is getting hard to get from Toyota. Wrecking yards won't ship them--they're too brittle. Maybe I'll see if I can get a new one--mine mostly broke up on the upper right side at the air vent. I put a dashmat in tho, so the glued up cracks don't show too much. Superglue and baking soda (google it) is great for fixing plastic.

I just balanced my batteries. All my plates were around 8v, so they don't appear to have any problems. But my mileage wasn't too good, around 37 mpg. Small sample for now, about 50 miles, but it appears that my little gem is getting about 45 mpg. Of course, some of that's freeway. And that's where the little car shines!

#15 Brian in Tucson, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  16. WootWoot

WootWoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And how do you do that? I'm getting 40 to 42 MPG with mostly highway miles.

17. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  18. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you using Techstream or another obdii tool to watch battery block voltage or delta SOC in real-time?
    That may help give very you some indication of battery health.
    If you don't have a Obdii tool yet plan on getting one soon. It is a necessity for anyone with and older Prius.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  19. WootWoot

WootWoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #19 WootWoot, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that looks to be in fantastic condition! What a gem!

Hope you have a great ownership. Welcome to PriusChat!