1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

knowledgable 12V battery replacement mechanics in my area?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by joeuser, Jan 16, 2017.

1. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am trying to get my 12V battery replaced on my 2009 Prius (Gen2).
    I got the Optima Yellow Top battery which should supposedly fit the install. I did it through Amazon, and they also found a service shop that would install it for me (i even scheduled it, called them to ask if they would do it). Then the main tech looks at the car and said he will not touch a hybrid car. Fcuk.

I have a car repair man but he thought the 12V battery is in the back. So I can't trust him to do the job either.
    I live in the Town Of Oyster bay in Nassau County (zip code 11803).

I do not want to throw away money by going to the dealer. I just want the battery replaced, oil changed, etc. I have everything (Battery, Synthetic oil, Filter, etc).

Can someone recommend a good auto shop for my needs that won't cost me an arm and a leg for these tasks? This is the first time in 8 years I will be changing the battery so I haven't really went anywhere outside Westbury Toyota to get my oil changed (and even then I provide my own oil and they just charge me a nominal labor fee).

Regards,
    Chirag

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    RTFM. Battery is in the back! You can trust him. It is a VERY simple job. Takes less than a half hour. Here's the videos from Luscious Garage. She does it in less than 5 minutes:

#2 kenoarto, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    johnjohnchu and bisco like this.
  3. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The problem with the changing of the battery in the Prius is its location and all the stuff that atttaches. Other wise it's straight forward, any body can do it. Good video.

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As one poster said, if I can replace the 12v, anyone can....I dispute that, but....at any rate, here is the most helpful video I have found. Pedantic, yes....

And, if you want to read through my "adventure," here is the thread....Won't Turn Off -- Master Warning Light on (Red Triangle) | PriusChat

But, seriously, any competent mechanic should be able to do it. If worst comes to worst, if you have no other choice -- the dealer.

As an aside, lots of cars have batteries in the back, not just the Prius.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's dead simple changing the battery. But if you want a pro to handle it, and you're going to the dealership for oil changes: ask them if they'll do it, and what (if anything) they would charge. If you're a regular, and combine it with an oil change, the charge might be trivial.

6. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    There's two sizes of batteries for the Prius. One is small meant for non-SKS models, and the other is larger meant for SKS models. Since you bought the Yellow Top, I'm pretty sure you bought the SKS model battery. The problem that you may face is if your car is non-SKS: the tray is physically smaller and won't accommodate the bigger battery. You'll need the SKS battery tray to fit it. All this is simple, and takes maximum 30 minutes.

7. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Prius 3 with smart key system (is that the acronym for sks?)
    I agree i should have read the manual and that the battery is indeed in the trunk. I stand corrected.
    Now i can ask the dealership for a quote but my intent is to get this done by a pro near me.

I know it's probably an hour's job with the oil change, but what is a good amount to pay for it? I got a quote for $75.
    I have an oil change coming up so i will try to ask my dealership what they will charge but i am sure they will be expensive since they quoted me about $55 each for replacing my engine and cabin air filters (which i can do myself for less than $20).
    So, now i wonder what is a good price for replacing the battery?
    Does anyone here have experience getting it done from a pro who isn't their dealership's service center?

Thanks,
    J

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    50 bucks.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you have your battery tested at a battery shop, like batteries plus, they will test and install for nothing, call first to see if they have the right batttery in stock or get it in one day or so.

10. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A little update on this matter.
    So my local go to guy for auto care quoted me about $75 to install the battery claiming that it may be complicated because of all the things it connects to. I thought that it was high. I went to my local dealership for the oil change and randomly asked for a quote on installing the battery if I were to procure it. They said $165. My jaw dropped.
    I mentioned this to my neighbor. He said "get your battery, we'll install it." (He had to the tools, I don't. TODO: Obtain tools). We were done in about 15 minutes. So simple. I think people would have to be nuts to give away that kind of money for a job so simple. Teaches me to be a bit more hands-on. Helps to have helpful neighbors.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who provided input. This is certainly not the last time I will need help in the matters of the Prius.

RRxing, jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There yah go. (y)

BTW, pretty much all you need to swap batteries is a 10 mm wrench.

#11 Mendel Leisk, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    jerrymildred likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My philosophy is, "Why pay someone to have my fun for me?" Fixing your own stuff (assuming you're physically capable and have a place to do it) is wonderfully satisfying.

13. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What a great neighbor. I enjoy doing the work myself, too. Note: you got your neighbor to do the work for free. You owe him a nice meal. FWIW: Often the cost of a tool can be more than the having everything done by a pro. And sometimes repairs need to be done more than once. And sometimes it's more than it appeared at first glance. And parts break. And mistakes are made. And everyone's time is worth money. All these variables need to considered.

#13 kenoarto, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    jerrymildred likes this.
  14. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    CONGRATS, Love to hear stories like this.

15. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Next on TODO list is cabin air filter and engine air filter. Those two are stupid easy. Don't get taken at the dealer for those.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  16. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    DIY is so much more satisfying, knowing how to do it and knowing it was done right. 12V battery, cabin and engine air filters are stupid easy.

Oil changes are a step up in difficulty, both in getting the right filter wrench and securing the car on jack stand or ramps, along with having the proper filter and oil, and CAREFULLY removing the oil change door clips. Once you've done it a couple of times, it really is simple and a heck of a lot cheaper than having a dealer do it.

Headlight bulb changes are also simple, although in some tight quarters.

Learn and do as much as you can with your car. It can be very satisfying. Good luck.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing about DIY air filters too: when you've got the filter in your hands, you might pose the question "Uhm: WHY am I changing this? It still looks like new."

Dealership service, interval comes up, they slam in new filters (and charge for labour), but why oh why: as often as not it's WAY too soon, lots of life left in them. Especially the cabin filter, I just can't get too worked up about it: a few seeds and dust? Knock them off and reinstall. The engine air filter I'm more careful.

But 65K kms in, I've yet to change either filter. Check the regularly though.

Andyprius1 and cyberpriusII like this.
  18. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have always followed the old adage that if you can see light through the filter it is still good.

But, as Mendel said, with the engine filter I am much more paranoid than with the stupid Cabin Filter, which, I think, is just a part put in the car to soak money out of owners.

Having said that, if I see mice pee on any of the filters, they are replaced immediately.
    kris

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. goodwin

goodwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, anyone can replace the battery on the 2009 Prius. 10mm, 12mm sockets, a screwdriver, a non-rainy day because your trunk is open the whole time, ....that's about it. TIP: after you install it and your car still won't show any power anywhere, and you check all the fuses you should check, you look on the internet for an hour or so reading helpful instructions on using a multimeter, listen to your wife tell you that you should have a real mechanic look at it.......... go back and check, just for the hell of it, see if there is a plastic cover over the negative battery terminal on the new battery, and you attached the negative ground on top of the plastic cover.......you fool..... take it off and re-attach the negative terminal. You should be good now. and your wife will laugh with you. and that beer tastes a little better knowing you didn't pay anyone to laugh at you for not removing a piece of plastic. True story.