1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaking around all doors/headliner.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Brandon Kennedy, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Brandon Kennedy

Brandon Kennedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello. As the post says, I have leaks all around every door. I have tried silicone spray. It was just my back right door, which seemed to leak into the speaker etc… i don’t think it’s a horrible leak, because I don’t notice it going through car washes. But there is a noticeable white trail along every single piece of rubber, and I have tracked the water before… I just can’t figure out why it’s even leaking. All the rubber is in perfect shape, no tears no cracks no knocks, it’s very supple n moves easily, no air going down the road.

just after my accident where it put a golf size dent on the back c pillars, have I noticed it is leaking around every door now ‍♂️ This is the only issues I’m having with the car but I’m really concerned because I’m wondering if it’ll eventually create mildue or mold…

speaking of mold… the passenger side seatbelt has mold when you pull it out, which has to indicate the seatbelt on the passenger side is getting wet too.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    has the damage been repaired?

3. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes all damage was repaired. Wasn’t major damage.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but don't you think the leaking is related?

5. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just stop Bisco, you bring discussions that go all over the place without offering much advice. The dent he had fixed shouldn't cause the leaks, the leaks need to be followed from where they are coming from, I would suggest someone sit inside and watch while you use a hose on the outside and see if they can see where it is coming from.

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like it is, if it wasn't there before - how extensive was the damage - could it have bent the chassis?

Is everything else working - all the electrical. How is the ventilation - still working well?

7. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you buy it new? how long was it leaking before the accident?

9. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ugh, he already answered your questions, you offer no help, as usual.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    God bless you :)

Tande likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i didn't see a pic of the pillar dent in the other thread, did i miss it?

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty sure what @bisco's alluding to, is that OP payed a shop to repair the car's collision damage, and the leak is related to that collision. In short: the repair shop should should track down and fix the leak. Sounds plausible, could save money/grief for OP, what's not to like.

13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Except "... The right rear door leaked before the accident. exact same way these are all leaking ..." (my emphasis).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I knew someone else was paying attention. ;-). Again, as a possible test, someone needs to be in the car while another is outside with a hose spraying around the door to see if an area can be found as to where the leak is to narrow down the problem.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  15. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes - I recall - a loooooong time ago ½ lying in the boot (trunk) with a flashlight - hoping my friend would open it for me!!!

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    certainly not the o/p

17. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What does that even mean? Stop posting if you have no answers and just make statements that don't help but just make things more confusing.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  18. Brandon Kennedy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just a quick update. Sooooo, found out the right rear door was leaking mainly due to when the premium sound system was put in, the weather seal wasn’t put back in place (the plastic barrier behind the door panel). This is actually what has been causing the issues with my sound system developing static from time to time in the line, due to the moisture.

as far as the rest of the car. From what I can tell, it seems it only did it when sitting for long periods (the months going through the shop). There is a slight slight air leak (only visible in the winter) at the bottom left of the windshield it will draw condensation. My windshield also got a crack from the passenger side to the driver side. This in turn, also, has caused more condensation. Therefore, when the vehicle sits, and for long periods, without the a/c or any circulating air, it caused the condensation to build up on the rubber gaskets around the door, and therefor looked as if all doors has started leaking.

I have an unlimited car wash membership, so I can go through as many times as I please. It never leaks then, except on that back door on the inside and gets the speaker wet. Which is a shame, it’s a $2,500 sound system I had put in, so a little pissed at the shop for not sealing that back properly.

unfortunately you have to watch everything that every shop does no matter how reputable. Always remember that.
    Anyways that’s the update. No harm done by anyone. Glad I could trace is relatively down, after a couple years for the back door anyways lol.
    Everything has been simple but I’m always afraid of the worst.