1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED lights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Piotrus Pan, Jan 14, 2017.

1. _QQ_

_QQ_ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    @fuzzy1, since that rather rude dude from Luxemburg is simply not responding properly:

In all of Yurp DRLs are sufficient in case any daytime light is mandatory (like in Poland, Italy and more). Low beams in stead when not equipped with DRL.
    In quite a few countries the use of DRL (or low beams) is not (yet) compulsary. (Including, btw, the OP's country and Germany, unlike his suggestion; in those countries it is 'recommended')

All new cars sold since 2011 are required to have DRL. Since 2015 also red ones on the back of the vehicle.

Just thought I'd straighten this thing, since he seems to advocate 'alternative facts' :)

Cheers

glutaman and fuzzy1 like this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My old databooks from the 1970s and 80s are long gone or deeply buried in my closest. I will not waste any effort digging up the retained copies for someone with the above attitude.

From an old website I used to follow: Pulsing LEDs to make them look brighter?
    Note that back then, most LEDs were thermally limited to around 20 mA DC. Higher currents required pulsing to use their best operating point without overheating.

Now, move up to more modern times, where luminosity and overall efficiency have vastly increased, but efficiency droops at higher currents.
    The amazing progress of LEDs, in one chart - Vox
    Proved: Why LED efficiency drops at high current
    Light-emitting diode - Wikipedia
    http://www.digikey.com/en/articles/techzone/2011/oct/identifying-the-causes-of-led-efficiency-droop
    Pulsing is still a valid method for control and dimming, but it no longer improves luminous efficiency.

#22 fuzzy1, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    kc410 and glutaman like this.
  3. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You barge in to the conversation absolutely not knowing why I showed him the circuit in the first place asking for information already given and playing the all knowing ...
    Like I said, you can shove your help up yours sorry, self unaware person.

4. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    In the EU since 2011, new cars are required to be fitted with DRLs that are functionally separate from any other lights and need to be compliant with UNECE Regulation 87: https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/2013/R087r3e.pdf
    Daytime running lamp - Wikipedia

Requirements for usage differ between countries in the EU though. The US is one of the few countries that does not comply with UNECE automotive lighting standards, so lights often differ significantly on US versions of cars. The DRLs on mine (2012 post facelift) look like a square grid of LEDs above the indicators on the front bumper.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

What the hell happened to this thread? You guys were talking nicely until the end of page 1.

6. Robert Santana

Robert Santana New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm considering these as well. I'm still trying to source the parts for the upgrade though. The ballast seems to be an issue