1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Limited budget... need opinions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by chris4355, Jul 30, 2013.

1. chris4355

chris4355 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you had the choice between:

GEN III prius with ~30,000 miles basic package (no screen, no backup camera).

OR

GEN III Prius with ~70,000 miles backup camera, GPS etc...

What would you pick?

A little about me: I love using my phone's gps, I'm used to it. AndI don't really want to pay for a GPS maps upgrade every year... The backup camera seems nice but it seems I can find something aftermarket for it as well that goes on the rear view mirror (feel free to chyme in if you know any good ones).

What other options does the NAV screen offer that I am not thinking of?

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lower mileage is my pick

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Less stuff built-in the car is less stuff to break that has to go to the dealer. Most of the ancillary stuff can be bought cheaper than the dealer sells and if it breaks, toss it and replace with a much better, more recent model.

In 2001, we turned down a 2001 Prius in part:
    • I did not want the navigation unit
    • No cruise control!
    • Hideous, June-bug, green
    Bob Wilson

4. g4_power

g4_power Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I don't like built-in GPS. I get free map updates for my Garmin

5. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Get the lower trim one. The nav is so laughably unusable unless you bypass it, and unless you can't turn your head, the backup camera doesn't offer much.

milkman44 likes this.
  6. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    + 1

JMD likes this.
  7. socal13

socal13 livin in the foothills...

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    You didn't mention how much you would be paying for these cars. I would go for the lower mileage and buy a Garmin or use your iPhone gps/maps. I have the nav and back up camera and they are not that great.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Backup camera not absolutely necessary but can be VERY helpful when parallel parking or backing up close to anything. Big thing is to not rely too much on a backup camera: Can lead to trouble.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lower mileage if the price and year are the same.

JMD likes this.
  10. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's very true. I have it and I guess I'm just so used to driving without having one, I rarely even notice it.

11. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Save even more $$$ and buy a clean higher mileage CPO 2010 model II and add an aftermarket nav head unit. CPO takes you to 100,000 miles drivetrain warranty, 12 month bumper-to-bumper, and the hybrid system and battery are covered for 8-10 years depending on where you live.

For under $400 the aftermarket head unit gives you bluetooth hands-free phone over the speaker system, backup camera on the 7" screen when you put it in reverse, dvd player, satellite radio, iPod connectivity, streaming bluetooth music, and more power for better sound than the stock head unit.

Thread on the aftermarket nav.

After market Navigation | PriusChat

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You've already answered your own question.

Limited budget.
    Get the base model.

Done.

Add-ons are nice if you like getting yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices....but if you're on a limited budget? Limit your spending to the CAR.

Easiest question I'll answer today! :D

chris4355 and worldaven like this.
  13. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The low mileage one should still have the balance of factory warranty, if it's less than 36 months old, and if it still has some factory warranty, you should be able to buy an extended warranty from Toyota, good peace of mind for a used car.

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Go cheep. If it is too damn fancy/expensive then you will feel bad driving it in the rain, getting bugs on it or stone chips :(

Mike

BluetoothEdsel likes this.
  15. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From a strategy standpoint, I'd start with the one with lower milage, then see if you can talk yourself out of it. But the part I don't think you can overcome is that assume you drive 15K miles per year. In 3 years, the lower milage car will about the same miles on it than the one with 70K miles. I consider that to be a lot of free miles. If you drive 30K miles per year, that difference might not be as important.

There was another thread on this same issue and a lot of people liked the car with more stuff including more miles. You might try to find that thread. I tried and failed. Sorry.

Mike

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My mental accounting says that the 40,000 mile difference is worth at least $6000. The built-in GPS and backup camera do have some value, but nowhere near $6k.

17. chris4355

chris4355 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the opinions everyone, it turns out my bank mis-informed me and I am eligible for more than a 15k loan...I have really good credit and was able to sell my car for much more than I thought so it turns out I can now buy new, I was just informed of the 0% apr they are having and after doing the math, it seems like buying new is definitely the better option for me - especially since used prii are quite expensive...

So far though, buying a car seems to be a pain in the nice person... It's very easy for me to spot car salesmen's B.S. and when I do I tend to haggle to them to death with no mercy - I have caught them lying about everything from the invoice price to the condition of the car!

After a few broken promises I decided to use carfax and go private, I then met a guy who tried to sell me a "pristine" used prius IV, 2010 , with 30k miles, he sounded completely legitimate, but I decided to bring my buddy who knows about cars... next thing you know, he spots something I do not, one of the rims is different! We ask about it, he says he hit a curb, we investigate further, there is a fresh paint job on the hood, we measure the seam distance between the panels of the car on both sides and they did not match - turns out this guy was selling me a car with a bent frame! Carfax history was 100% clean. Buyer Beware!

I bought my friend sushi after that.

Anyways, so I went to one dealership in San Fernando Valley, California. They are selling me a 2013 Prius II winter grey, basic package for $23,800 - and that's before taxes and all the other hoopla. Thoughts?

18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a fair price. You can always add options later if you like. Everything is bolt on and the parts are available. That 0% financing is a killer deal.

Mike

19. chris4355

chris4355 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And by doing the math I meant to say that I made a little excel spreadsheet, check attachment.

It's not perfect, but it might help anyone buying a new car get an idea of what they are up against before walking in the dealerships.

Feel free to comment on and upgrade the excel file =)

Attached Files:

WE0H likes this.
  20. bnom31

bnom31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Out of curiosity, how did you measure the seam to the panel to figure out the frame was bent?

Also, it sounds like you are on a budget in general (not just for buying a car.) Just because you've sold your car for more than you first estimated and just because you have the 0% rate doesn't necessarily mean you should spend more on a new car. It might make sense for you to continue browsing used cars to try and save 5-7k, and you can pocket the additional money off your car sale for a rainy day, investment - retirement, or home improvement.