1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Living on top of a hill

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by tckmsd, Apr 1, 2013.

1. tckmsd

tckmsd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I'd like to stay in EV mode when driving my sons to school, but we live on top of a hill, and with a full charge, no matter what speed I go down that hill, the ICE always comes on. I've tried braking to limit my speed to 35 mph or 45 mph or just coasting, in which case I get up to 53 mph. It's usually about 60 degrees out and I don't use seat heaters or A/C. Is there anything I can do to stay in EV? I'm guessing the battery gets too full from the coasting and/or braking on the first half of the downhill and that's why it switches the ICE on halfway down. I sometimes wonder if I should use the timer to prevent the battery from charging up all the way...or just drive around the block a few times before going down the hill to "free up some space" in the battery for the energy I will get going down.

Thanks in advance!

2. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Others in your situation have found that by cutting off the battery recharge before it's full- then let the downhill ride fully charge en-route does the trick.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. Francos

Francos Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base