1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

locksmith recommendation in NYC area for prius 2010 smartkey programming

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kapaoke, Aug 1, 2012.

1. kapaoke

kapaoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Could anyone recommend reasonable priced locksmith near NYC to program Prius 2010 additional key/keys(depends on price)?
    I have one key and don't want to spend more then 200 on additional key.
    Who can program used key from ebay in NYC area?
    I realize that some ebay used smart key can't be programmed .. how do i find right used smart key?
    Thanks!!!

2. kapaoke

kapaoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  3. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have a NY recommendation, but you need some info.

"key" is the mechanical "emergency key" that is stored inside the fob. It only unlocks the car doors.

"fob" is the remote that contains the circuitry to unlock the doors wirelessly, either via the buttons or by proximity. It contains additional wireless circuitry that permits the vehicle to run, and a back-up mode to starting the car in case of fob battery failure.

The emergency key is a "laser cut" or "four channel, internal cut, sidewinder" key. A special, expensive, milling type cutter is required to "duplicate" one, and even more expensive machines to "originate" a key from "code" (numbers that describe the profile cuts). Call around using the terminology given, and someone will have the correct machine. Probably a locksmith. Dealer will charge you around $100. If you strike out, send me a private message - I can duplicate by mail.

Programming the fob has two flows: 1) Adding a new, virgin key. 2) Resetting the SKS module to accept a used fob, one previously registered to another car.

Scenario 1 requires either "Techstream Lite", or proprietary equipment. No magical "seed generating software".

Scenario 2 requires Scenario 1 equipment, plus magic dust software to reset the SKS module. PM again if you have no other options, I am a last ditch option.

I think you want another SKS fob added, emergency key included. $200 will probably mean a used fob, but you might get lucky.

I lied, I might be able to find a post listing a NY vicinity locksmith with the capability. You need to be patient & wait for me to get to my pc after I get some sleep. I'm running on 3hrs sleep in the past 50... and no, I'm not a crackhead :p

EVO ? 2

EDIT: reprograming used smartkeys for 2010 prius | PriusChat

4. kapaoke

kapaoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    i saw that about guy from long island but he charges now 330 for new fob programmed and 140 for one used key programmed but he does not warranty used key would work.

5. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hokay. I called around and found a place in North Brunswick, NJ. I suppose that's vaguely the New York metro area. He programmed an unprogrammed key I had bought from a dealer and had no problems cutting the metal key. He did both for, I think, around $45 or so. He had some specialized software on a laptop that he used for the electronic stuff. It's been a while but I think the place is DDR Security in North Brunswick, NJ.

Next: there's some locksmith on Long Island who was reported to have done the above, but was also capable of reprogramming (or whatever) an already programmed key. His name/business was mentioned a year or so ago, so maybe searching the archives will give you a live body.

Finally: I just kept on calling locksmiths until I found one who said he could do it. Most of them had no clue what I was talking about, a couple did, but couldn't do the work, and then I found the DDR guy. Moral: Be persistent. And a copy of the no-kidding yellow pages helps.

KBeck.

6. kapaoke

kapaoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    North Brunswick,NJ no so far.. tried calling DDR Security and they quoted me 390 for key and 250 to program.. It was one of the highest quotes i got.

Dealership in NJ even charges less

7. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is as close as I could find. All Auto Locks phone: 516-356-4800 Copiague , NY (Long Island )

8. Nadler

Nadler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I tried All Auto Locks because I also need a fob and programming. He now wants $340 for a new fob and programming or $145 for programming a used fob with no guarantee that it will work and money due in any case.

So I am also still looking. H00ktern might have a mobile solution and suggested to me if I can get a group together the price might be favorable. Would you be interested in a DIY solution with a used fob? That would make two of us and the start of a group.

9. kapaoke

kapaoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Nadler,
    I am not sure on costs DIY could be too high and need someone who familiar with that diagnostic tools.
    Also i read this on toyota site '*A Security Professional TIS subscription provides the same access provided with the Professional Diagnostic subscription along with access to vehicle security information, including key codes and immobilizer/smart reset capability. Before you can purchase this subscription level, you must be a current member of the NASTF Vehicle Security Professional Registry. For more details and requirements'.

or you meant group together to program either new or used keys byAll Auto Locks at discount? i all up for it if we get good discount.

so far i got quote 374(including taxes) new programing and cut key from one of the Toyota dealerships in NJ.
    All Auto Locks quoted me 330 new key (not sure if he cuts key) and 140 fob programming.
    Some other locksmith 350 from nyc...

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to hijack your thread - but the lesson here for other readers reads to me as:

Losing your original keys can be a costly mistake.

11. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Better yet, realize the hassle now and deal with it on your terms, rather than the dealers' :)

12. kapaoke

kapaoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Want to thanks Nadler for pointing me out for very reasonably priced locksmith in Long Island !!!

Brookhaven Locksmiths Inc.
    4600 Nesconset Hwy • Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776
    (631) 928-0222 • (631) 473-0606
    [email protected]

They were able program 2 used fob from ebay in addition to existing master for my Prius 2010 for $95.

13. eddiesmith

eddiesmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope you have got the Locksmith for your work.I also have the same issue with keys and i have bought two keys from ebay and cut and programmed by a local Locksmith it doesn't cost me more in comparison to the dealer.