1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking at a used 2010 prius V, any insight?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by floflorence, Oct 16, 2012.

1. floflorence

floflorence New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking to buy my first prius tomorrow. I am looking at 2010 -2011 prius V. I am a little hesitant to pull the trigger as I am unsure as to what price is a considered a good deal? There is a toyota dealer in my area that has a few 2010-2011 prius v's and they have them priced 26k -30K. I am looking for navigation package. Any insight that anyone could be offered would be great. I feel and think that I should be able to get this car for 24K maybe less? HELP! I drive about 25K a year. Sorry for the ramble with no real cohesiveness. Thanks

2. JM05

JM05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where are you located? Like you, I am looking for a 2010-11 as well. Been pouring over all the for sale sites and there is quite a spread in prices. Seems like the best deals are in the upper Eastern States.

I'm not expert but I believe all the V models will have navigation.

3. floflorence

floflorence New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in Northern California. Not so close to the eastern states;).

4. JM05

JM05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, there are a TON for sale in California. I also saw quite a few I really liked up in OR and WA. Hop on Cars.com and start looking. :)

5. floflorence

floflorence New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been searching the internet as it sounds like you have as well. I would agree there are a ton out this way. I don't think I have looked into OR or WA. Im now just trying to determine what price is a good deal. I have looked at kbb and edmonds for what they suggest as fair pricing. From my quick search on this forum it appears that people have got much better deals than what I am seeing out in California.

6. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    4's and 5's all have navigation, also some, but not all 3's have navigation. You can widen your search if navigation is the main reason you are looking only at 5's. Also you can buy some new 3's and 4's for the prices you are being quoted for 2010 5's.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with the above post. If all you really care about is Nav then look at a 2012 Three. With the 2013s hitting the market before long you should be able to get a killer deal on a Three or even a PIP base model! I would never suggest buying a used 2010-2011 Five for $26K. That is insane when you compare what you can get for a new car on the market now and in the coming months. Hell you can get a PIP for $28K when all of the rebates are factored in.

Talk to Dianne at Carson Toyota if you need help on new cars. She will tell you when you are about to make the wrong move. ;)

8. floflorence

floflorence New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you so much for the responses, very informative. I guess my thought process of why I am looking at the five would help further his discussion. Yes I do want navi but I in general like the way the 5 looks ( not sure it's just the rims that are the difference?) If I have read understand/correctly it also has leather and fog lights. Are these the really only differences between the 5 and 4? I guess I am unclear on this. Do you think it is possible or in my better interest to look at a new 3 or 4 and switch rims and or add fog lights. I appreciate all the help talking me through this it is helping tremendously.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Five adds LED headlight, halogen fog lights and 17" wheels. You can add 17" wheels to any model of Prius, however. The Four has leather and the better Nav system that also comes in the Five. The Five, however, cannot have the solar roof which is only available on the Three and Four.

So from a cost effectiveness standpoint, buy a Four and add 17s or buy a Three and add Clazzio seat covers for $400, HID headlight kit for $45-$150 and a set of 17s for $1100 or so. Fog lights are basically useless but can be added later since the parts on the Five will fit on the lower models.

I would start by making a list of "must haves". Then figure out which models have what. Then see if there are easy ways to add aftermarket parts cheaply. Then do the math to see which path is most desirable. If the savings isn't great with the aftermarket upgrades then get the higher model that has what you want. :)

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  11. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just got a certified 2010 V with 32K miles on it for $20,173 after negotiation (plus tax, title, license and dealer fee of course). It took quite a bit to get it down to this price, I was at the dealership with the owner until almost 10PM! I was looking for a few months and this is definitely absolutely the lowest I found a V for.

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  13. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats, Vas25tl! I think that's a great price otd.

Haggling is always fun isn't it? It took 7 hours before I drove away in my beauty right here.

14. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks!

I have been in the auto industry basically my entire life and worked as a manager at a used car store for years while I was in college. I know how the game is played :) I hate the part where I have to pretend that the salesman has something valid to say...usually can't wait until the manager or owner is walked over to me, that's when things actually start moving.

15. floflorence

floflorence New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that is a deal! Nice job. I may attempt a similar feat. Thanks again for all the insight on my adventure it has truly helped.

16. Xaran

Xaran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMO $ 26,000 for a 2010 is way to high at that price buy new.

I got my 2010 V (a lease turn in that was loaded, NAV, LKA, Radar Cruise, leather, parking assist ETC) with 31,000 miles on it for about $ 22,900 including an Toyota Certified Extended Warranty to 125,000 miles and basic service free for 3 yr. To get the same options and warranty on a 2012 would have been about $ 32,000 OTD at my dealer so it was worth it to me to buy used.

17. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's a great deal!
    The dealer I got mine from had a 2010 V with radar cruise, nav, etc. with 52K miles for $21900...

Your deal is definitely out of the "norm".

18. floflorence

floflorence New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Vas25tl and xran, you guys are my hero's! You guys got some very good deals. My effort yesterday didn't prove eventful. I didn't make a deal because they wouldn't budge. Xran, it looks like you got yours in California? I'm still on the lookout for my deal but up in Northern California no one seems to be budging.

19. jppicks

jppicks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is more than likely because right now gas is 4.50 a gallon and up so they don't have to.

20. Xaran

Xaran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Might be worth a drive to So Cal if you can find a better deal.

I got mine from Sierra Toyota in Lancaster Ca they have this 2010 "V" "Certified" listed on their site and IMO there is always room to bargin. It has 100,000 Toyota Waranty , 2 yr free service and this dealer adds a "Lifetime Engine and Driveline " (ICE) warranty at no cost to you

Used 2010 Toyota Prius in Lancaster, CA - Sierra Toyota