1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a new home for my scan gauge...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SLO Cat Wrangler, Apr 7, 2013.

1. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey everyone,

I have scan gauge that is mounted above the mirror which is pretty nice, however it is a little hard to change where I focus when driving so wanted to move it. I didn't want anything sticking up on the front and thought maybe behind the display area on the right (see photo)?

Any idea if this could be used for a scan gauge mounting area? Would like to hide it back under the lip so it does not stick out and maybe behind the "glass"?

Thanks
    Steve

Attached Files:

2. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Good luck with that. Not an easy place to get to. Plus, then you will never be able to push any of the buttons....

I've seen people mount them in that little accessory compartment below the radio, with the little door. It fits nicely and I don't think it is too complicated to run the cord through the back so that it is all hidden.

I just mounted mine "sticking up" on the front, just in front of the seam between the two dash pieces, and find it is nice because it is close to your line of vision. You can also easily run the OBDII cable behind the dash to get there. Just my preference....

3. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks pjc for the reply. You got a picture of what that looks like with how you hide the cable? How did you get it to stick/mount to this spot?

Here is my post from a while ago putting it in the space you mentioned. This is where I had it first, but the driver of the car (my wife) wanted this space back so I mounted above the mirror with a specific mount from blend mount. Now I want to get rid of this as it hangs things when I am installing the sun shade during parking.

Scanguage II install with picts... | PriusChat

Let me know if you can take some picts of your mount and how you get it to "stay"

-Steve

4. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I just used a bit of velcro. The cord runs behind the dash. You have to cut a small notch in the front part of the dash (the piece with the power button in it), but it is so small and kind-of on the back, that I doubt you would even notice it if you removed the SGII later.

Here are some pics. The last is through the windshield so you can see the notch.
    IMG_1684.JPG IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

5. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the picts. I think this spot is ideal for me, but will be a deal breaker for my wife. I can hear her saying "why do you have to make things so ugly! what is this gauge for again? I don't even use this thing!"

Again thanks for the picts. I was thinking that you put it on the steering column. I'll see if that is "acceptable" to the customer. ;-)

-Steve

6. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Super easy to hide these cords..
    [​IMG]

Finally mounted and hardwired my extra android phone I had laying around with the Torque app. The ELM327 ($24) I leave plugged into the car. Even with my size 12 shoe, it doesn't interfere with my driving sticking out of the bottom of the dash. Used the GA-NHWC3 found on Amazon for $15 but eBay for $12 with free shipping.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Tapped into the power cigarette lighter at the base of the dash. However this is not an 'Always on' power source so I may look into an alternate power source...or just be more conscious effort of turning off the phone when I leave the car so it doesn't drain the phones battery.

Current PIDS showing RPM, Throttle position %, Coolant Temp, Ambient Air Temp, Intake Air Temp, MAF CFMs and Timing advance displays.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    LOL! I have that problem, too. Luckily, it is primarily "my" car. But I am the butt of endless jokes about my "techno"-car. "Why can't you just leave it alone" "What are all those gadgets for, anyway?"