1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for Scan Tool to Reset Pass Occupancy

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by newmemba, Jan 24, 2022.

1. newmemba

newmemba New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I found out after I bought my car that the passenger seat has been replaced. All of the other airbags work, except for the passenger occupancy sensor, which needs to be recalibrated.

Is there any reccomendation for a good scan tool under 300-400 dollars on Amazon that I can use to calibrate this myself? I contacted the dealer but I'm not sure what their schedule is or how much they may charge because they haven't gotten back to me.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So the airbag warning light on your dash stays on?

And you already disconnected the 12v for a few minutes to reset all the sensors?

3. newmemba

newmemba New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's not the red srs airbag light, just the orange one on the passenger side that says pasenger airbag off, it still stays off even when a heavy person is sitting in it.

I have tried disconnecting 12v battery, adjusting the seat all over, adjusting the seatbelt up and down, and testing with/without seatbelt. The only thing that I haven't done yet is unplugging and plugging in all the sensors again because they are tough to get to for me without taking the seat out, so I don't want to break any wires or connectors. I think that since the seat was replaced, it needs to have the weight sensor recalibrated, and I was wondering if there's a cheaper way to do that.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm skeptical that there's a calibration process for this... @SFO would have the documentation and will post it here if there was. This thread here will give you a better sense of the system: airbag resistor install quesion | PriusChat Perhaps replacing the sensor will solve it? Or perhaps do what some of the folks have done in the thread?

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thought I had seen a SRS button once before, must've been on a gen3 or some other vehicle. Check under the dash on both sides for a button, vaguely remember near the right foot/firewall on the passengers side. Also look in the glove box(es) for a button as well.

The least expensive option would likely be techstream installed on a windows device (or emulated).

I would check the related connection(s) and sensor(s) before moving on, even if the connection feels firm, reseat it again, then power cycle the vehicle 3 times to see if the light goes away.

Confirm what you know, or need to know : Toyota Prius: Airbag Light Stays On Diagnosis | Drivetrain Resource

Here is a hack, in case someone else is looking for such: Resistor value for seat air bag?? | PriusChat

PriusCamper likes this.