1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to by high mileage 2013 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Coastal Eddie, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Coastal Eddie

Coastal Eddie New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi everyone,
    I'm considering buying a 2013 Prius Four Hatchback. The price is $10,800 but it has 122,000 miles on it. Is this a smart purchase? I've heard of Prius' going over 200.000 miles.

Thanks,
    Ed

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is this a purchase from a private seller or a dealer? How many previous owners? Accidents? Repair and maintenance records?

It might be a decent value shown here, if purchasing from a dealer, but it's an average value if from a private party (based on kbb for Orange County, in very good condition). Most '13 Toyotas will reach 200k if properly maintained and honestly, many other properly maintained brands are also expected to reach 200k miles. Especially if the bulk of the miles are highway, which is probably the case here.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To be honest, that's not enough knowledge to really know whether it is a smart purchase or not. That's a price, and only the most rudimentary description of the vehicle itself.
    You need to try to find out vehicle history as much as possible. You would need to see the vehicle.

If you're asking "could" it be a reasonable deal? The answer is Yes, it could be.
    Could it also be a deal you would want to run away screaming? Yes. it could be.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    lots of problems can happen with high mileage gen 3. start with a compression test to make sure it hasn't blown the head gasket yet. then clean the egr circuit an intake manifold.

reasearch the other problems to see if you are comfortable with them, even if it is a small possibility, should one crop up.
    word on the street is that gen 3 battery isn't as good as gen 2, but idk if that is proven, or just conjecture.

do all your regular due diligence such as checking for accidents, and maintenance. it should have had all the fluids and spark plugs changed by now.

all the best!(y)