1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost smart key remote. Question about replacement.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ozzie123, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Ozzie123

Ozzie123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My partner lost the second smart key fob keyless entry remote for our 2005 Prius. We now only have my smart keyless remote for the car and need a replacement asap. My key fob has the silver logo.

Can anyone tell me if a non-smart replacement key fob remote (black logo) will work for my car or do I need to buy a smart replacement key remote? I honestly don't care about smart entry, so if this will work, it will save me a ton of money.

Any ideas or suggestions on the most affordable way to make this work are gratefully accepted.

Many thanks!

(I'm in Canada).

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Both the silver and black keyfobs use the same transponder that is detected in the keyslot in the dash. But the remote functions are incompatible. I'd recommend a "virginized" used silver keyfob. Either that or a new one. Also, you might try to find a locksmith who can register a used keyfob. Several people have been happy with Pop A Lock, a national chain. do not know if they were just lucky, or if all Pop A Locks can handle it.

3. Ozzie123

Ozzie123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks RobH. That's kind of what I thought. I just checked for a Pop A Lock where I live near Kelowna, BC, but no luck. Do you know if there's a reputable dealer on eBay who I can buy a new silver keyfob from? I've been reading a lot about the success that folks have had with eBay purchases and then programming using the "chicken dance" Youtube video. I'm willing to try this, but can't figure out which eBay option is best. If you have any thoughts, that would be awesome!

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Looks like Vancouver would be your only choice in BC. But try finding another locksmith closer to you. Whatever you do, don't waste your time with a used keyfob unless you have access to Techstream and a source for a "Seed" key. You could purchase a new silver key from an online dealer ($120?) and register it yourself with the "chicken dance". Or much easier with Techstream (mini vci).

You can read much more about it at IMPORTANT EXPERIENCE: KEY/FOB Programming Issues | PriusChat . Shouldn't take more than a month to plow through it all...

5. Ozzie123

Ozzie123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL...makes me long for the days of old when we had plain old dumb keys. Get 'em cut at the local hardware store and be done with it. Seems a whole lot simpler (and smarter) to me. :)

I'll give a locksmith a call tomorrow. I also read in another thread that Home Depot may be able to do it all. I'll check that out too.

Thanks for your help Rob.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    But then anybody can just force the lock and drive away with your car. That’s why they started putting chips in keys.