1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Apr 17, 2011.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it will, give it some time.

Agree Energy Saver is probably the best compromise.. the only complains on them that they are sensitive to overinflation, reduce grip a little faster then avg tire in low temps, and in terms of grip/handling - nothing special, meh.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You forgot high price. :p

I need to try and calculate the price difference between say the Energy Saver A/S at $107/ea. and 65,000 miles and the AVID Ascent at $96/ea and 85,000 miles if there is say a 2-2.8mpg difference.

3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    tirerack lists Ascents at 96$ and Energy A/S at $97 with $70 rebate on 4, so it is a wash more or less.

I just hate new Avids, any one I tried (touring, TRZ, S33) had that dread "balancing on the soap bar in the shower" feel for first 500-1000mi, before they break in.

Also if you don't drive alot getting 85K tire may be not such a good idea. 5 year old tires don't grip no matter how good they were new.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. :) I sometimes forget not everyone drives 26k+ a year like I do.

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is anyone getting in line for the Michelin Defender?

They sound like an improvement over the Hydroedge, and with the more normal tread pattern, they are likely to be less susceptible to tramlining. Rolling resistance is advertised to be slightly better than the TRZ, but the TRZ never had great rolling resistance to begin with.

I am considering a set of my friend's 09 Fit, but in the 195/60-15 size, they are $115/tire.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike, I'm going to let someone else be the guinea pig for the Defender. They will likely be great tires but I expect the, to be pricey without the $70 rebate and I question their commitment to LRR if they are keeping the Energy Saver A/S around.

7. ryang33

ryang33 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius and I am thinking about getting the Firestone Affinity Touring. Can anyone tell me if these are good tires for a Prius or if I need to look at something else? Thank You.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Avoid them. Only the H-rated tire is listed as LRR and the survey section of TireRack.com is filled with Yellow (good) and pink (fair) ratings. There are other tires in that price range ($88) that score much higher. Why not go with a tire that has a proven track record for performance, fuel economy, or longevity? The Energy Saver A/S, ProContact EcoPlus, EP100 etc. are all proven tires in that price range.

9. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    F8L, what a wonderful piece of work. As my tires (OEM) only have less than a hundred miles, I will file the link until I need them (3 years reasonable? 8-10 K/yr.)

Thanks

1 person likes this.
  10. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hey F8L, my kid tears up the 422's so fast. what do you recommend in 16's that will last longer?

Where's my link bro?

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Big Steve!

30k-45k is pretty average for OE tires assuming your alignment is good, you keep them properly inflated and you don't treat every corner like an Indy racer. :) By the time you need new tires there will be ever more great choices available.

Bru! I sent you two emails. Did you get them?

Your kid may need a tire with a bit more longevity like the Michelin Defender, Yokohama AVID Ascend or Continental ProContact with EcoPlus. All three of the above have very long tread wear warranties (90k, 85k, 80k) are reasonably priced (with the Michelin rebate), provide decent fuel economy and handle well in the wet. I cannot vouch for the Defender yet since it is brand new but the AVID Ascend and the ProContact handle very well. They rate higher than the Ecopia EP422 in handling and longevity. They Ascend actually feels a bit more crisp and handles a little. Enter than the Energy Saver A/S although it won't beat the A/S in fuel savings!

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Added the Yokohama YK580. It is a performance oriented LRR tire. Better performance than the TRZ and Ascend but less mpg than the Ascend. This could be a good subsititute for the Primacy MXM4 because it is offered in 17" and 18" sizes.

[​IMG]
    "The latest innovations in the YK580 assure the driver exceptional treadlife while offering the remarkable wet and dry handling and low rolling resistance one would expect from Yokohama."

YK580 Performance Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.

13. rthrglf

rthrglf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm glad to report that in February of this year, I installed Kumho Ecowing tires in the front to replace the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max stock tires with 35K miles. I kept the Hercules Raptis in the rear with 5K miles that were put on by the seller when I bought my 2010 Prius in late November of last year at 30K miles. I immediately noticed a quieter and smoother ride and better rolling resistance with the Kumho Ecowing tires. And my calculated MPG has improved 4.012% for the subsequent 5K miles with the Kumhos compared to the previous 5K miles of similar driving conditions with the Goodyears. These particular Kumhos are apparently exclusive at America's/Discount Tire Stores. They took $15 off the $98 price for each tire. The Ecowings appear to be Kumho's answer to the Michelin Energy Savers A/S, which are never seem to be available in my area.

1 person likes this.
  14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When did you start tracking your mpg on a spreadsheet to come up with the 4.012% increase for the new tires? I'm curious because you purchased the car in the fall, replaced 2 tires in February and it is now summer. We always suffer a large to mild mpg hit in winter so I want to ensure your conclusions rule out weather related changes. 4% difference with just two tires sounds a it high. :)

15. rthrglf

rthrglf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The weather conditions were almost identical here in So Cal since I bought my Prius on 11/25/11. The mornings were relatively cool, same for the evenings, but I do experience higher MPG on warmer days, which have occurred from time to time before and after I replaced the stock Goodyear tires on 2/18/12. One of the tires had a nail in it. Instead of plugging it, I got the Kumho Ecowing tires at America's Tire Store. I would have gotten Michelin Energy Savers all around, but none were in stock. I drive about 450 miles each week, a large portion commuting to my office 5 or 6 times per week, 62 miles round trip. For the 4,882 miles before replacing the tires, I got 48.72 mpg, and for the subsequent 4,930 miles, I got 50.67, which results in the 4.012% increase in mileage. For the 2,685 miles six weeks before the Kumhos, I got 48.81 mpg, and for the 2,689 miles six weeks after getting the Kumhos, I got 50.07 mpg, which is a 2.581% improvement. In any case, I am happy that I ended up with the Kumho Ecowings, although I would've liked to see how the Michelin Energy Savers perform.

1 person likes this.
  16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for providing more detail. This rally helps inform members on potential purchases. We don't have a lot of info on those tires so this really helps!

17. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Discount Tire is offering a $100 prepaid Visa card for purchase of 4 tires or 4 rims. Sorry it's only good through May 26. Memorial day special.

1 person likes this.
  18. esskay

esskay Junior Member

I don't see any Falken tires on the list. It looks like a friend will be able to get me some good discounts on Falken tires. Does anyone have a recommendation for a Falken tire?

I have a stock 2006 Prius. I'm getting good mileage with the OE tires but it's time to replace them.

Thanks!

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No and unless you are getting them for free then your discount may not save you money in the long run unless the tire you choose lasts 100,000 miles and is MUCH cheaper than the other PriusChat favorite tires. :) Unfortunately I have never heard of any Falken tire being very fuel efficient so you would have to assume a mpg drop vs. your OE tires. Balance this with initial purchase cost and tire longevity and you can calculate the total cost/mile. A 4-5mpg difference can make a pretty big difference over the life of a tire such that something like the Energy Saver A/S or Ecopia EP422 can actually save you over $300 vs. a cheaper non-LRR tire with a good to poor treadwear rating.

See this thread for more information: Total lifetime cost for fuel and tires over 150,000 miles | PriusChat

20. esskay

esskay Junior Member

Thanks guys. I decided I really wanted the Conti's but just stumbled across a fantastic deal at America's Tire/Discount Tire and had to share.

They have the Bridgestone Ecopia's for $86/tire which is similar pricing to Tire Rack for the tires themselves. Then there's a $70 Bridgestone rebate which brings the total price down to equal CostCo's price. But then there's another $100 rebate from AT/DT for Labor Day (must purchase today or tomorrow), which makes these tires super cheap!!! Net cost if you decline extra warranty ends up around $300 and change!

I pulled the trigger on this deal, even though I wanted the better performance of the Conti's... gotta watch my pennies these days. If anyone's looking for a great deal, check it out.