1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Apr 17, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This could very well be true. If the low rolling resistance factors are based on the tread then when that trad wears out the tire will be equal to a non-LRR tire. If the LRR factors are mostly in the sidewall and plies then the tire will still be better than a non-LRR tire even after tread is worn.

FWIW I am testing a set of Energy Saver A/S right now and they appear to be approx. 3mpg better than my LRR AVID Ascend tires which! The Ascends are almost identical to the OEM AVID S33D tires.

2. dans4fun

dans4fun New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey folks need some help!

Just bought a 2012 Prius Model 2, Blizzard Wite w/ grey Katzkin leather. I am also getting the 17" oem Model 5 wheels. I am looking for recommendations for tires. I've been reading thru the varius posts and am trying to come up with the magic answer.

I would like to try to stay as close as possible to the OEM 15" MPG. Safety, braking wet and dry is a must. I would like something low noise. Doesn't necessarily have to have the highest tread life rating, but I certainly don't want the worst. With our driving superior handling is probably not as important as the MPG. Northern Ca so winter/snow driving is probably not a factor.

Test drove the Model 5 with the 17" alloys, w/ Toyo Proxes a20 and really liked the feel. We also have a 2010 Prius Model 2, and I couldn't believe the difference in the feel/tightness w/ the 17" wheels on the Model 5. Does that make sense? I got the 17" because I didn't like the caps on the 2010, and think the 2012 Model 2 wheels are just about as bad. The new 15"wheels/tires on the new car will probably go on the 2010. So it will save me having to buy tires for it.

The dealer has the Proxes A20's like those on the Model 5 that I drove. Kind of pricey, but would do it if I thought it would be the right tire. However, it doesn't sound like people care too much for it. I'm anxious for some suggestions.

Dan

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Dan,

My best suggestion would be the AVID Ascend or Michelin Defender in a 205/50/17 or the Primacy MXM4 or Ecopia EP422 in a 215/45/17. I prefer the former as they would likely be the best for MPG and closer to the OE 15" size spec. I may be selling my Primacy MXM4s that have just shy of 10,000 miles on them. I'm trying to make up my mind but didn't want to ship them so a local sale would possibly work. Then I could find someone to buy the wheels cheap. :)

Ohh, if this is something you are interested in I'd be happy to let you test drive them. I am in the Woodland area.

4. dans4fun

dans4fun New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply. So you have the Avid Ascends on your 2012 Prius? Are you running the 15" OEM size, or the 205/50R17's ? Are these a little heavier tire? Will that affect mpg? I saw on one site that someone said they were a little on the noisy side. Will the fact that the tire size is diff than the 17" OEM affect anything? Mileage/speedometer/MPG/warrantee?

I could be interested in the MXM4? Although would probably just put new tires on. Are you still convinced that you took quite a hit in mpg when you put them on, do you think it might have been the wheels? Have your heard of anyone getting worse Mpg with the Prius 5 with the stock 17" wheels, than tose with the 15" wheels. How about the Prius Plus 5 spoke wheels?

Fyi, I just put the 2012 Prius cap on the 2010 Prius Model 2 wheel. I think it looks much better than with the black wheel. The 2010 cap didn't look too bad on the 2012 wheel either.

Sorry for all the questions?

Dan

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure where to start.

Yes, you will observe a drop in mpg when upsizing to the 17" tire. I expect a 2-3mpg loss vs. the OEM 15" tire. The OEM 17" tire may be better in terms of MPG than the aftermarket tires but the cost, quality and longevity make it a terrible tire to repurchase. My wheels are not the cause of the loss. Even if the OE 17" wheels are more aerodynamic (which I believe they are) they weight almost 10lbs more each than mine do so it it should even out the mpg impact. Those with the Five can still achieve great gas mileage but I guarantee they would get better mileage with the OE 15" wheels/tires. It's simple physics. I don't care if someone says they can achieve EPA rated mpg therefore they are not suffering a hit. I have proved, as have others, that you can achieve such mpg with 17s but you can achieve much higher than EPA mpg with 15s. Reference link for others who may be reading this. Testing MPG with 17s vs. 15s | PriusChat

If you stick with a 205/50/17 you will have the same tire diameter at the OE 15". For some reason Toyota decided to run a 215/45/17 on the Five. That is a smaller diameter than the 15" tire. This will not affect your warranty. The 17" tires will negatively affect fuel economy and the tread wears out faster than most of the other LRR 15" tires so you'll spend more on gas, the tires and you'll have to buy them more often (50,000 vs. 65,000-90,000). The trade off if great handling, better safety, and better appearance.

I have the 15" AVID Ascend tires. They are louder than the Energy Saver A/S and about the same as the OE AVID S33D. I sort of expect that out of an 85,000 mile tire with decent handling. The Michelin Hydroedge performed similarly in terms of ride and noise. I assume the 17" Ascend would be noisier than the 17" Primacy MXM4 and the Ecopia EP422 but it also has a longer tread wear warranty and better traction than the Ecopia.

Keep the 17s around 40psi or less and the ride is nice and the noise is tolerable. If you don't mind the extra cost then 17s are the way to go if you want the Prius to feel like less of a tuna boat but don't want to modify the suspension.

McLintock! likes this.
  6. dans4fun

dans4fun New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Well I think you picked a good place to begin. First, thanks for the "17 vs 15 link". I know I read it in the last couple of days, but everything has been kind of a blur in the decision making process. I kind of figured your rims were pretty fuel efficient, but just needed to know if you thought they may have something to do with the drop in mpg. More in eliminating/selecting the MXM4 than about the rims. The MXM4 would probably be the least costly tire out of my pocket, not taking into account longevity/mpg diff. So I want to make sure it's a tire I want to eliminate from consideration. Do you suspect the mpg is getting any better as they have broken in.

You sound pretty convinced with the Yokohama Avids, and being a narrower tire may be better for FE. Just a guess on my part. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Wait til I start asking about your sound system, lol.

Dan

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not really convinced the Ascend is the best tire. It is simply a great tire for the size that you need. It's ok for fuel economy and ok for price but it's great for longevity! A very long lived tire can make up for a more fuel efficient tire that doesn't last as long. I'd really like to see the mpg difference between it, the Defender and the Ecopia EP422. :) If we all press him hard enough I bet we can get The Critic to buy a set to test. ;)

Be sure to read my lifetime tire cost thread as well.
    Total lifetime cost for fuel and tires over 150,000 miles | PriusChat

8. cinder

cinder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bridgestone Ecopia 422 : '11 base model Fit w/ 5 speed auto . Another good result of 42.26 m.p.g. calculated . Took 8.745 gallons of Sunoco 89 w /E10 and the trip was at 369.6 miles . The gas was GULF 93 w/ E10 . Tires set at 37 and now have well over a 1,000 miles with very little wear . City driving of around 25% . Most of the tank was the 2 of us . The gas mileage has been hovering over 39 more constantly since the purchase of the Ecopia 422 . The 42.26 is the best since the purchase of the FIT . The original tires were DUNLOP 31 A/S and the fuel tank is 10.6 gallons . Last , the $100 Visa card from GM should arrive by mail this week . Another bonus .

9. cinder

cinder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GEDC2119.JPG Got the VISA yesterday for buying the 4 Ecopia 422 tires through a GM parts department .

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The $100 discount makes them a heck of a deal as long as the price wasn't significantly higher than other retailers.

11. cinder

cinder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GEDC2120.JPG GEDC2121.JPG GEDC2132.JPG GEDC2014.JPG GEDC2056.JPG '08 Yaris base model w/ 4 speed auto and Eco Plus tires . Did a fill yesterday and got 41.92 calculated . The gas was SUNOCO 87 w/E10 . Refill was Sunoco 89 w/E10 . 1 click of nozzle of same pump for both tanks . Eco-Meter showed 40.5 and was reset to 95 . May have to bump it up to 96 . These tires are on a constant ROLL of 40+ m.p.g. .

12. cinder

cinder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    " The $100 discount makes them a heck of a deal as long as the price wasn't significantly higher than other retailers. "

Thanks . The GM parts department matched the Tirebuyer price of the Ecopia 422s' only because they have free shipping . Here it is , ECOPIA EP422 Tires by Bridgestone at TireBuyer.com# . Also have a $30 credit with the GM service center for the purchase and install of the 422s . Will likely use that towards a rotation . The tires were $56.60 each before tax . Tirerack : $81.60 - $25.00 ( 1/4 of the $100 GM Visa card ) .

13. cinder

cinder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did a fill of Valero 87 w/E10 yesterday for the '08 Yaris with the Eco Plus tires . Eco-Meter : 39.6 ( set @ 96 ) , Calculated : 41.1 ( 408.8 mis. / 9.946 gals. @ 1 click ) . Tires set at 37 and gas was Suncoco 89 w/E10 . There were 3 people and other items for part of the tank . May have to reset Eco-Meter to 97 to get closer to the calculated . Never had to set it 97 before these tires . Could they somehow be the culprit to highest setting of the E.M. due to their L.R.R. ?:unsure:

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Updated list with price changes for the new AVID Ascend. Prices dropped approx. $10 per tire. This makes them even more competitive with the Michelin Defender. :)

markabele likes this.
  15. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The OEM that came on my Prius are the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. Is this a pretty standard OEM? 65k warranty from the looks of the Goodyear website, would I expect to be able to go up to 70k or even 80k on them or will 65k be about it?

16. McLintock!

McLintock! New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where you getting prices from?

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on how you drive, the condition of your roads and what pressure you keep the tires at. High speeds wear out tires faster than low speeds. Cornering hard wears tires out faster than cornering easy. Rough road surfaces wear tires out faster than smooth surfaces. Improperly inflated tires will wear faster than properly inflated ones. The Fuel Max tires are sensitive to pressure and may wear the center tread faster than the edges if overinflated. I believe this only occurs on either the OE version or the aftermarket version. I cannot remember which one. Doh!

A hypermiler like Wayne Gerdes could probably get 100k out of a set. A fast driver like WE0H would maybe get 50k out of them. :)

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tirerack.com

19. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    But Wayne will sometimes take corners extremely fast.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True but he is also at a fairly low speed. It just seems like the PC members that comment on getting a lot of miles out of their tires also have high average mpg and are known to be hypermilers or closet hypermilers. ;)

markabele likes this.