1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lowering options for Gen III Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mrstop, Sep 10, 2012.

1. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have been looking into lowering options for Gen III Prii. In doing so, I have tried to document the different options and specs for each as well as some of the comments I have read from forum members. Let me know if you have other options you would like added or missing specs and I can update the table.

Lowering Options

Sorry - I have tried embedding the table from google docs but haven't had success yet. You can click on the link above or download the attachment.

Attached Files:

Xterra72 and F8L like this.
  2. Xaran

Xaran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Been following that thread,but thought it would be helpful to have a more comprehensive list and specs so readers didn't have to read through multiple pages and search the net.

4. tekstyle

tekstyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the eibach prokit the most performance oriented amongst the non coilover setup? would i need to replace the oem shocks too if i go eibach or lower?

5. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I were to go springs, I would go either H&R or Eibach. It isn't necessary to replace the OEM struts/shocks. Just be aware that the struts/shock life will likely be reduced somewhat. However, the spring rates on these aren't too extreme, so the life and ride of the OEM struts/shocks shouldn't be impacted too much by that. I haven't checked in awhile, but there really are no "performance" strut/shock upgrades. All of the replacements will be OEM like in spec. In theory, just lowering the car will cause a little more wear and tear on the suspension so be prepared.

6. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    If what you are saying is true, does that mean the TRD Springs on the Prius Plus Package have upgraded oem strut/shocks than a regular prius? Why would toyota sell the TRD Springs knowing that it will degrade the life of the oem strut/shocks?

7. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As far as I know, the TRD springs use the same struts as the standard. My guess is that the impact to life will be minimal or not noticeable. I wouldn't worry too much about, as long as you are aware of the trade-off's.

8. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The increased wear is due to the increased spring rate. Since the travel is reduced due to shorter spring, the spring rate must be increased and this has an impact on the struts and shocks. I've lowered a lot of cars I've owned in the past and from my experience, the TRD springs are quite tame and match up with the stock struts and shocks well. The handling is definitely improved. Just for reference about strut and shock wear, I've owned numerous BMW's with stock sports suspenions that feel worn out at 30k miles...