1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lucas oil additives 2 combat oil consumption?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kammssss, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Kammssss, Any updates on how the synthetic Lucas stabilizer is working? Do you still use it? Are you still noticing mpg decreases, or was it a one time affair? Thanks in advance...

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FYI, the two motors that I have torn down had worn main bearings. I had a chance to drive one of them before pulling the motor and there was noticeable vibration on cold starts. It was a 1 quart/1000 miles burner.

CBarr31 and Dino33ca like this.
  3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Is the worn main bearings the cause of the oil consumption or are they separate issues?

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It may not be the original culprit but would contribute additional consumption problems. There is no clear answer, but I was curious if those with high-consuming engines notice a qualitative difference in feel and noise on cold-start compared to another Prius. ​

2009Prius likes this.
  5. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Kanmmssss,

There are actually several threads about oil burn on PriusChat currently. I have replied to a couple but am keeping an eye on the one below the closest.

2008 Prius - burning oil at 135,000 miles | PriusChat

With Avi trying things on several different Prii I think there is the highest chance of getting something that may help from that thread. I say help because there is nothing that is going to stop oil burn completely, IMO, except a complete rebuild or new engine. It would be nice to find something that at least slows it down some.

My Ema is at 334K now and burning 1 qt. every 2K or maybe slightly more. I have tried Restore and unlike Mr. Bill I did not have any success with it. It didn't cause any additional damage or cause The Burn to get worse just didn't help. As others have posted, not sure in which thread, it is high RPM related. Ema burns faster when running a lot of high RPM's like on a drive with a lot of hill climbs or at higher speeds. Just around town driving under 3,000 RPM I don't think she would burn more than 1 qt. every 3K but don't have any definitive information to back that up. Of course after driving her for 7 years and 334K I know her pretty well, lol.

Seilerts information about the vibration on cold starts and worn main bearings is great information for us burners I think. Ema doesn't have any vibration on cold starts currently but she does have a little I think under real quick acceleration in some instances. I will try and keep a better eye on this and see how it changes over the course of the oils life. I think everything does better with new oil after an oil change so I am debating on switching back to a 3K interval. Also going to try SeaFoam since Avi saw some success on at least 1 car so far with that.

I think this issue is going to be a real trial and report type thing and what works for one person may not work for another. I am just glad we have such a good community and forum to keep track of all this stuff. Thanks PriusChat and Thanks Danny!!!!!!

Happy driving,
    Chris

Dino33ca likes this.