1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Magnetic oil and ATF drain plugs by Goldplug

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by exstudent, Feb 24, 2013.

1. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just performed the first transaxle ATF change, after 18k miles on the new replacement transaxle on my base 2007 Prius.

I replaced the OEM oil and transaxle ATF drain plug, w/ Goldplug's super strong (Neodymium) magnetic drain plugs. Goldplug's pitch seems logical: strong magnet to grab floating metalic debris in the fluid (oil/ATF), to minimize further damage from the metalic debris. Guess only time will tell. Looking forward to the next oil and ATF change to see any metalic debris.

The oil and transaxle drain plug were $15 each, and included one new washer each. Additional washers (which appear to be aluminum and cheap in price) were $.50/each, for either oil or transaxle. Shipping was free since I spent more than $40; unfortunately this promo is over. However, their shipping rates are reasonable. I ordered directly from Goldplug. You can also order from Amazon, but it appears only the oil plug is currently available (checked 2/24/2013). Goldplug has magnetic plugs for other cars and motorcycles too. Supposedly they can custom make a plug for you if you supply them with needed info (bolt thread diameter, thread pitch, etc). Here are the part numbers for those interested:
    Oil drain plug part# AP-03 / oil plug washer part# SW-03
    Transaxle drain plug part# AP-05 / transaxle plug washer part# SW-05

The replacement plugs can hold a lot of weight. Oil drain plug is shown holding 13.1 oz (3/8" ratchet and 14mm socket), and maintains the same 14mm socket head. The transaxle drain plug is holding 1 lb 7.0 oz (1/2" ratchet), and looses the 10mm hex key for a 1" socket head (thats the biggest socket I had that fit well, but I think 1" would be equivalent to a 25mm socket). The OEM transaxle drain plug could barely support the 10mm hex key socket (1.9 oz).

Attached Files:

Dino33ca and edthefox5 like this.
  2. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I installed goldplug oil plug on two cars about two years ago. Here are my results, your mileage may vary:

- '07 Prius w/ 65K mi: magnetic plug attracts very little material. For the entire 5K mile interval the oil stays clear and clean, no losses and scarcely any discoloration.

- '96 Corolla w/ 130K miles: The magnetic plug picks up fine, dusty particulate, enough to spread over the tip or your finger. The car loses ~.5 liter every 1500 miles which I attribute to some burn off due to high milage plus a small oil leak in the crank case gasket (I'll have that fixed one of these days).

I, too, like having the added "filtration" effect of a magnetic plug and it gives another way to monitor engine wear and tear.

Dino33ca likes this.
  3. Silver Pine Mica

Silver Pine Mica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for including the part numbers. I got two of the oil drain plugs since I plan on keeping both of my silver pine mica Prii for eleven more years.

4. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've had mine for a year and a half now and am very happy with it. The first oil change I used with it had some mud like metallic goop on it, however the following oil changes had less noticeable goop. I think it's doing a good job. Bumping this old thread in appreciation for Op's suggestions....

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For those who are currious, here's an update of the Goldplug transaxle drain plug w/ all kinds of metallic debris on it, posted in the Gen3 section.

Anyone, or a dealer, who says transaxle drain/fill not required would be pressed to refute the visual evidence and the empirical study conducted by Bob Wilson and Prof Denenberg on transaxle ATF-WS wear analysis.
    Post #473; ATF fluid changes ARE Required. | Page 24 | PriusChat

#5 exstudent, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    Dino33ca likes this.
  6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Since oil is frequently changed out of the engine and that it has an oil filter, I don't see that much benefit from a magnetic oil drain plug.

In early water cooled Porsches up to 2008, where the intermediate shaft bearing has a tendency to fail. a magnetic drain plug is a good precursor of an engine life ending event.

The Prius transaxle, however, can benefit with a high strength magnetic drain plug.

As I discovered, even the weak little Gen II OEM ceramic magnet in the transaxle drain plug gathers a lot of steel and iron particles, which might have otherwise been allowed to circulate as an abrasive medium through the transaxle again and again.

From my experience, even the weak magnet has been eliminated from the Gen III Prius models.

My transaxle fluid change and NEW custom drain and fill plugs... | PriusChat

While the hex plugs were a little expensive, they are convenient to use.

Now, comes 2015, and I'm considering getting OEM plugs from a Toyota dealer, milling them out and securing neodymium rare earth magnets to them.

For Gen II Prius models, the 10mm hex socket drain plug can then be used as the fill plug, like on the Gen III Prius to retire the shallow hex 24mm fill plug.

The Gen III Prius models have the most to gain, because there is NO magnetic plug AT ALL.

#6 Mike500, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    NEW development...neodymium "rare earth" OEM type drain plug kit.

If Toyota supplied one, this is HOW they would make it.

No need for an odd size hex socket to install and remove my new magnetic plug. This plug is made from a GENUINE OEM Toyota Prius transaxle drain plug.

I took an OE plug and milled it out to take a special extra high strength N51 neodymium button magnet and secured it with JB Weld standard slow hardening epoxy steel, which is stronger than the Qwik Weld type. It when then baked in an oven for an hour to fully harden.

I've attached photos of my new type holding a 1-1/2 inch combination wrench suspended, a Gen II "small ceramic plug removed during a fluid change and a NEW Gen II plug showing the small ceramic magnet.

If you have Gen III with NO magnet, this would definitely be an essential upgrade.

Attached Files:

Dino33ca likes this.
  8. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks like you're going to have to start your own magnetic plug business Mike!

9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, it's NOT really a business. I'm retired. I just enjoy experimenting and improving what I can't buy. It keeps me busy and keeps me learning and thinking.

And, I just want to share my ideas.

10. Mylar

Mylar Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I purchased Qty 2 Gold Plugs on 2/1/15 and have yet to receive product. I've reached out to the company several times with no response. Seems like an odd way to run a business......

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Talking about using magnetic drain plugs make me wonder how much metal from the oil gets stuck on the MG rotors. These probably have some of the strongest magnets available.

John (Britprius)

12. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Don't know why everyone is considering "Gold Plug" with it's non-Metric large head? Mine uses the M10 hex socket and are made from genuine Toyota transaxle plugs.

I know one thing. Porsche owners are snapping them up as fast as I can make them. They are much superior to the aluminum M8 socket ones that are easily stripped out.

13. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully everything has been resolved by now.

Only discovered you made the same product by accident (browsing Gen3/vagons/C postings), way after the fact I had purchased mine. An Internet search of "magnetic drain plug," lists a GoldPlug on page one, near the top (usually position 2-4, depending on search engine used). Knowing what I know now, I would have bought one off you to keep the same metric size head vs a large 1inch SAE socket. Fortunately, I had some hand-me-down large SAE sockets.

Mike500 likes this.
  14. goldplug

goldplug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear about this! I hope this was resolved to your satisfaction. I found your order, but no other contact. Did you call our Toll Free Number? We have been having problems with it this year, but I think we have that resolved.

Let us know!

Tim
    GoldPlug

15. goldplug

goldplug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Mike,

If you want a smaller head 18mm plug, you would want our MP-10. It has a 19mm (3/4") reduced hex head. Most people like the AP-05 because it more closely resembles the common Toyota 18mm plug (Low Profile)