1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

maintenance intervals for fuel filter, battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hubmacfan, Jun 10, 2013.

1. hubmacfan

hubmacfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there a recommended maintenance interval for the 12v battery, or is it just drive til it dies?

I looked in the maintenance guide for my 2011, but I didn't see the fuel filter mentioned. Is there an interval for it?

Same thing for the transmission fluid—didn't see an interval.

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Props for reading your manual!

Fuel filter is inside the gas tank with no maintenance required. Barring major extra contamination it should last a couple hundred thousand miles plus. This is common on newer cars.

The battery is sealed, no maintenance required. Also fairly common.

Per Toyota, the fluid in the transmission is lifetime fluid, but there is good info including used oil analysis here on Prius chat indication that isn't wise. Recommendations here for how often it should be changed vary, but 1st change at 30k miles, then change it each 60k miles is fairly common. The reason for the earlier change for the 1st change is to get rid of manufacturing contamination and higher wear from new parts breaking in. Some do the 1st change earlier.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There is NO fuel filter.

The battery needs NO maintenance.

They don't recommend changing the transaxle fluid for at least about 100k miles. I would prefer 25k miles.

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is one. The fuel filter is inside the fuel tank.

Edit: I thought you could get one, but it looks like a non replaceable part. You would need to by whatever subassembly it is part of to replace it.

Another edit: Took a look in the Factory Repair Manual. It tells how to remove the pump and filter and remove the filter, but that doesn't do a lot of good if Toyota doesn't sell the filter separately.

5. hubmacfan

hubmacfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So if I purchased, as I did, a certified used Prius with 36k miles, I should probably fork up the $ to get the ATF changed?

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mine cost $109 to get changed, if you have jack stands you could do it yourself for about 1/3 of that.
    You want 4 quarts of ATF WS and 2 washers for the drain and fill plugs, all at your Toyota parts counter.

7. hubmacfan

hubmacfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Stupid follow up: do you dispose of ATF like you do old oil? I've taken old oil to Auto Zone in the past for disposal, but don't know if they accept ATF.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Prius 12V battery is smaller than a normal car battery since it does not have to start the engine. The HV battery does this with MG1. The typical life of this battery has been in the 3-5 year range.

If the 12V battery voltage drops below 12.0V it can cause a lot of weird problems including alarms and diagnostic codes. You will want to test the 12V battery voltage on a regular basis to prevent this from happening. Search on here for 12V battery testing and weird things happening as a result.

9. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five