1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance (Oil Change) Every 5000?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Page N., Nov 14, 2018.

1. Page N.

Page N. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So, I just purchased a 2018 Prime (about 4 weeks ago). The dealership of course would love it if I did all of my maintenance with them. They put a sticker on my windshield that says the first service is due at 5000 miles. I assume that will be largely an oil change, tire rotation, etc.

My question is, if I am plugging the car in frequently, then once the car reaches 5000 miles, the engine will have nowhere near that many miles. Would be nice if there was a way to find out what the engine miles is :)

EyePrime likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the engine oil change was every 10,000 miles? The 5,000 mile (and thereafter) are just check ups (more important as the car ages but check locks/lubricate locks, check suspension, brakes etc)

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The 5000 number is for tire rotation only.

joelg1988 likes this.
  4. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All Prius' have a built-in Service Reminder that comes on every 5,000 miles since last reset because Toyota recommends tire rotations and inspections every 5,000 miles (or 6 months). But, oil/filter changes are only due every 10,000 miles (1 year) assuming you fill with the recommended 0W-20 oil.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With the US schedule, I'll go out on a limb, say you could skip the 5000 mile (or 6 months) service, and the car would survive. With the one item that really gets done, tire rotation: if for example you skip the 5K services, the tires might get rotated 4 times in their lifetime, instead of eight, and at the end, I doubt the wear would be any different.

'Course up here, with my "Canadian" schedule, I'm changing the oil every 6 months. And: our cars don't have the maintenance reminder.

6. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I suggest you read your owner's manual to determine what is required of you in order to maintain the warranty. You do not want to lose that!

7. Page N.

Page N. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yeah - finally decided to pull out one of the many owners manuals Have never had a car with so many owners manuals/supplements:)

10K oil change - basically a tire rotation at 5K. Will PROBABLY take it in anyways since the dealer is close - and its covered by ToyotaCare (or whatever its called). This is my first Toyota - HOPE it turns out to be as reliable as their reputation shows :)

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can track ev miles (engine off) and hv miles (engine on) on your screen. you only have two meters though, so you have to choose between trip/tank/lifetime, two out of three.

you might want to change the oil and/or filter every year or two, regardless

#8 bisco, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The schedule's in the smaller second booklet, the Warranty and Maintenance Guide. It should be in the glove box. You can also download a pdf from Toyota Tech Info (google this), in the Manuals section.

On page 32 of the booklet is an explanation of maintenance responsibilities. Bottom line: routine maintenance can be done by the owner, an independent mechanic or garage, or a Toyota dealership service department. You have an obligation to be careful/competent, keep detailed records and receipts, what was done, at what miles and dates. You are not obligated to use Toyota service department (by law), and warranty/recall work does not require you to have an unbroken service record with the dealership.

The US schedule is laid out in the booklet event-by-event, a terrifically myopic presentation, giving no clue as to the patterns. I've just cobbled a spreadsheet of fourth gen US schedule (attached). The operative word is "just", would appreciated any comments, if I've missed anything, or messed up. Please have a read. It does have some minor rewording, but should be faithful to the booklet.

Addendum: some of the maintenance and/or inspection in the schedule is of dubious value, or near impossible to do in real life, especially with no clear-cut guidance in the Repair Manual. I'm not saying all of the items are doable or worthwile, just trying encapsulated what's in there.

Attached Files:

#9 Mendel Leisk, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    SFO, padroo and GrGramps like this.
  10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    New Toyota vehicles come with free Toyota Care maintenance plan for 2.5 years or 25K miles. It will take care of your first 5 scheduled maintenance. I have read somewhere that Toyota Care includes 3 oil changes not 2, but if you follow maintenance manual, you will be needing only twice, one at 10K and second at 20K.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm almost glad we don't have free maintenance for the first few, in Canada. Saves the quandry. Also, there's a few less than favourable reports of what was encountered by DIY'rs, when this free period ended. Maybe not so much a problem with 4th gen, but third gen'rs sometimes found their oil access "flap" snapped off. Also some had oil filter housings that could not be removed, likely installed by impact wrench. Even better: they get the oil filter housing is removed, and discover there's no filter inside. Again, with 4th gen reverting recently to regular style oil filters, that's no longer a problem. But I'm sure they'll find something. Probably a fistful of grease on each door hinge?

douglasjre likes this.
  12. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Enjoy that new Prime.

(Off topic to Mendel: Not once, in 34 years of going to assorted Toyota dealers for service, have they ever lubricated the door hinges or locks. That must be a Canadian thing. ;))

#12 Starship16, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think you're right, CDN schedule has frequent hinge lube, US has nothing. Just doing the 4th Gen US schedule spreadsheet, noticed that.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i prefer my oil changes at 5,000, and then every 10,000 after. gets the ickies out from break in.

15. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just be prepared for the dealer to upsell you on services that are not required (fuel injector cleaning). Have your Warranty and Maintenance Guide handy to show them you know what is recommended and covered by your plan.

Attached Files:

douglasjre likes this.
  16. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Don't skip rotating tires. They will get flat spots and the tires will be destroyed. I know from experience with unnamed other persons in the household. If Toyota's doing it for free, may as well let them

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How about 4 rotations at 10K miles, vs 8 at 5K miles? Are they going to wear much different?

It's debatable. It is a good opportunity to just eyeball the brakes.

18. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    What does 4 rotations or 8 rotations mean? Rotation is rotation. It's a binary thing. There's no count.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well I'm thinking the 5K, 15K and so on services are mainly just a tire rotation. If you cut those, just do the 10K, 20K and so on, still rotating the tires, but only half as frequently, they still get about the same amount of time at the front or back of the car.

20. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Maybe. I'm not sure how long the wife went without rotating the tires, but it didn't take too long to get flat spots. I'd guess it was pretty close to 10,000 - 15,000 miles based on the time between getting new tires and when they started making the "whomp whomp" sound.