Maintenance (Oil Change) Every 5000?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Page N., Nov 14, 2018.

1. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, the Ecopias. All the flat spots are on the inside ribs and not the outside. Did the same thing in the Prius C and the PiP.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most people now days who actually do have a spare, have a space saver or full size with the "ugly" steel rim. Direction tires are not so much a problem anymore. Ideally you want 5 matching tire/wheel assys that you rotate on a regular schedule. The fronts always wear first and with 5 each your tires will last longer. There are plenty of illustrations on how to do it, but most on this site have the Dealership or tire store do it so you have to monitor they do it right and consistently using the same pattern. For the rest of you, your car, your money.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Lapsed Cargo Cultist

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Full size spares are pretty rare now. I don't know if it's just me, but I'd greatly prefer a (compact) temp spare, one that's not in the rotation, purely for emergency use.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Respects to all, but I've been turning a wrench so long I will never go without some kind of spare. Kind of like having spare bulbs and fuses in the glove box for me. Anyways, the Wife's RAV4 HV, my Son's Tacoma and my 2015 Prius all have full size spares installed...only the truck has the matching wheel though. They all have full size floor jacks too, with an adapter for the truck's jack because it's lifted 3" total. As you well know Mendel, I don't mess around when it comes to my vehicles. In fact, I still have those snows stacked in the garage you guided me with when I transferred to Denver...thanks again. My guess is that only 85-90% of Prius owners will even change a spare on their own...so it's really all boils down to choice.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. nanobozho

nanobozho Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    so i have gone past the 25k miles... so no more freebies at the dealership... trying to decide if i should go to my friendly local car shop that i used for my previous (2oo5 ford 5oo) or continue going to the dealership... how much will the routine checkups cost me at the dealership, compared to using my guy?

he also told me that he was not 'tooled up' to deal with the electrics when i told him what i bought...

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If it's just for routine maintenance, that's just oil and lube, tire rotations, filter changes, and fluid top-up. Your dealer should include free multipoint inspection, and cost of other stuff you can look at service invoice you have received during first 5 free maintenance. With my dealer that amount to about $60-$90 per visit. My Prime has one more free maintenance, but I am planning to do DIY.

7. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Almost all of the expense of the dealer's service is changing the engine and cabin air filters (often about $130). If you change those yourself from parts bought online for $30, you can tell them to skip that part and the service is about $80 or so. That's the same price or less than a synthetic oil change at a lot of shops. The good thing is that the dealer enters the service record into carfax so if you trade your car in later there's a record that you kept up on all the service.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Lapsed Cargo Cultist

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Eight years plus, I've yet to change either filter...

Maybe all that fresh off the Pacific Ocean air, and the winter keeps the dust down.