1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance really needed if mostly EV?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by stevepea, Mar 4, 2020.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My maintenance required soon light has been on for a few weeks now, but I'm not sure whether to follow the schedule or if it's okay to wait a few months longer. I drive very little now, maybe just once every two weeks or once every week, and perhaps two-thirds of that is all in EV (ie, not very far) without the gasoline engine even coming on. So would I really need an oil change so soon?

Does anyone does anyone know, does the maintenance soon light come on because of miles driven or months elapsed?

I have a 2017 Prime and the last (free dealer) service did not include oil change. However I haven't driven the car much since then. It has 19000 miles now, but most of that was in 2017 and 2018. Again I only use it maybe once every 2 weeks, or sometimes once a week at most, and maybe only one-third of that time does the gas engine even come on.

What about what about for people that don't burn gas at all? Those who are able to drive just locally with almost all EV? would the maintenance light come on with the same interval or frequency as someone who does mostly hv driving?

That's why I'm wondering if it really needs a lube and oil change now, and what the formula is for the maintenance required soon light coming on. Thanks!

#1 stevepea, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That message is generic 5,000 mile interval.
    See the maintenance schedule in your owners manual

stevepea likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Do you ever intend to get warranty repairs?

If so, you need to do routine service.

If not, it is your car, do what ever you want. Best of luck.

John321 and jerrymildred like this.