1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Major caution for those who DIY oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Daryl K, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I should preface this by noting that I got my 2012 Prius new and have had it for over six years. If you discount the first two oil changes you get for free from the dealer I have done my own the last 6 times, and with zero incident...until now. (I've also done hundreds others the past 45 years).

Driving into work yesterday my dash lights up with the LOW OIL PRESSURE warning. I was close to my office and limped into the parking lot, turned the car off and got out and see oil running out from the oil pan area. I did the most recent oil change also, but that was well over 1,200 miles previously, so I'm thinking it can't be a loose nut or oil filter. Maybe an oil pan gasket, or cracked oil pan?

Since I am in the office (which is 45 miles from my house) and am dressed for business, PLUS I have no tools with me, getting under the car to figure it out is out of the question, so I borrowed a coworker's car, drive to a local shop (2 miles away) and explain the situation. The guy gives me 3 quarts of oil to take back so I can drive the Prius up (I had to add all 3 before it starts to show on the dipstick) then I slowly limp to the shop.

The verdict? The replaceable gasket that goes onto the oil filter housing had slipped out of its groove and down to the lip. Somehow this happened over time, and not as I was reinstalling the filter, because as I noted I drove well over 1,200 miles since the last oil change without a single drip. The kicker was that the car I borrowed from my coworker was a Toyota Venza, which uses the same part, and that coworker pointed out that the EXACT SAME THING happened to him on his car this past spring. He sent me many links of research he had done that pointed out this is a very common issue with this design among nearly all recent Toyota products.

I went back to the shop and talked with the mechanics and owner who also said they had seen this many times. His best advice for minimizing the possibility of this happening was to wipe the threads of the oil filter cartridge housing bone dry (or as close as possible), install the gasket dry, then apply a thin layer of oil on the threads of the receiving end of the filter (on the engine). This way there is friction between the gasket and filter housing groove, but some lubrication between the gasket and receiving threads as you screw it in (so as not to "push" it out of the groove while reinstalling). I made the mistake of oiling the gasket like you traditionally do on any oil filter, and was fine for over 80k miles...until I wasn't.

Because I was on the highway when it first happened I know I drove some miles with minimal oil in the engine. Everything seems OK with the crankcase full again, but if there is any lasting engine damage I'll be very pissed with Toyota. If you search on many generic maker forums you can see this issue has happened a lot with many owners across nearly all Toyota cars. Lousy design!

P.S. My Chrysler uses a cartridge-style filter too, but the housing is a totally different design. I went back and looked at it and see no way this could happen on that one, so it's not inherent to cartridge filters, just Toyota's application of it.

mjoo, Pluggo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    had you checked the oil level at all since the change?

3. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Twice. Most recent was about 10 days prior, and it was full to the top.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazing. i don't change my own, but will be interesting to see what others say. i don't recall ever reading this before, thanks for the heads up!(y)

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you using oem filter and gasket?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The last time I removed ours the O-ring had (similarly) slipped down to the end flange of the housing. But, I did not lose any oil, it was still at the top mark. I wouldn't conclude that the O-ring migrates up the barrel slowly over time. To me that does not sound plausible. I'd suspect it shifted right away, during install, did not leak at first, but eventually failed to seal.

That was back in April, and it's got me cautious, checking the oil level frequently. So far it's not budged. I suspect/hope it was a one off, but yeah, a cautionary tale. Maybe this is one factor in Toyota going back to cannister style oil filter.

Yes, this sounds like good advice. I'll do this next time. I think too, it's good to ensure the cylinder it screws into is well lubed, maybe wiped out and a little fresh oil applied. And as you install it, take it real slow and steady just as the O-ring goes in.

The O-ring seems like the weak link in this design. I'm not sure why they'd go with something so finicky: could'nt they just as readily use an end gasket. I'd speculate they tried that, and it had failures.

Again, maybe this is why they threw in the towel, went back to cannister style, mid-2017 model year.

Recall time...?

bisco likes this.
  7. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, I had thought about the same thing, as it didn't seem like a possibility. I did stump the mechanics though who noted they had seen this dozens of times before, but always within a few days of an oil change. Their first question to me: "did you recently change the oil?" When I said I had, but it was a month and 1,200 miles ago they all looked very surprised.

There's no way to know for sure of course, but my speculation was also that perhaps it was pushed down as I screwed the filter in, but because I torqued it nicely the pressure against the flange still sealed well enough that I didn't lose any oil. Then over time (I did a road trip of about 300 miles with my family last weekend) it worked its way loose enough that the seal was lost.

For the reasons in previous paragraph I intend on following his advice as best I can for the next change. The way the filter is situated I think there's no real way to "see" if you pushed it out of the groove while screwing it in - even with a mirror - so it's a crap shoot every change.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    100% OEM Toyota-branded parts.

9. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    P.S. I always use OEM parts for maintenance / replacement across the board, with the only exception being the cabin air filters. Not at all critical to mechanical operation (and we lived for decades without them at all), so I tend to go cheap on generic cabin air filters off of Amazon for all my cars.

GrGramps and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I changed the oil in our ‘12 v at the end of May. One thing I remember is the instruction to lubricate the gasket with oil before placing it onto the cap and into the groove, and then lubricating the gasket again after getting it into the groove. I will verify this double lubrication when I get the chance/home.

The advice to lubricate the threads is to me not applicable. The reason being that the gasket will not pass over any threads on it’s way to it’s final position when the cap is completely in. Designing it as such would subject the gasket to the sharp edges of the threads and could easily damage it. It only passes/rubs against the smooth portion of the housing.

I do remember slowly turning the filter back in, and torquing in place with a torque wrench. I advise anyone to do the same. On a “good” day I may be like Superman in tightening it hand tight, on a “bad” day I may end up loose. The instructions also note to start the car AND check for leaks before buttoning the bottom up. I am guilty of not doing this, but I’m guessing we should....

11. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just had my oil changed at the dealer. I wonder how many times that has happened with their oil jockeys? But at least they are responsible for any repairs. I better check the level twice a week.

I think Toyota recently went back to the spin-on oil filter, for the 2018 models?

12. BuickGN

BuickGN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is great info, thanks!. This is partially why I like buying my car new, because I know the complete history of the car but this one is a commuter that's getting driven into the ground at 50K a year. I got under mine to change the oil for the first time ~50k I think, and saw that the housing had been beat up, pieces missing, and not sure it was removable with the conventional method lol. So I took it to the dealer that sold the car to me and told them what I found. I was careful not to touch any thing so you could see the cover had been on there for a while and that I did not do it and they were the last ones to change the oil. So they replaced it for free. Now I know to be extra careful when it's my turn.

About running the engine out of oil, on it's way to running out, running low generally just results in hotter than normal oil which I'm sure didn't hurt a thing given it had to be a short time. Running out while under light to moderate load and rpm to the point the pressure light (not level) came on is not to be taken lightly. I hate saying this because you can't change anything, but I would be diligent in listening for a change in noise levels. I've seen them seem fine for a thousand or so miles and then end up with a rod knock, oil burning, or a flat cam but that was with a flat tappet cam, pretty unlikely in the Prius due to a lack of oil. Nothing to change, no additives that are going to help. If it makes it to a year with no issues I would say you're home free. I've done a lot of stupid things when I was young and that includes purposely destroying engines. At idle without load, and without oil, they will go a very long time. But once load is applied and rpms are raised, it takes very, very little time to do damage. Just 1 second without oil at 2,000rpm is 33 revolutions of the engine and 16 of those power strokes, pounding out the rod bearings. How far round about did you drive from the time the light went on? Going to check my oil as soon as I get off of work now and probably every time I put gas in it. Good luck with it, hopefully it all goes well and you can tell me I was full of crap.

Starship16 likes this.
  13. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When reinstalling the filter, look for a groove in the receiving threads, and also in the threads of the filter cap. The filter cap grooves are to be oriented 90 degrees counter clockwise from the groove in the housing. Instructions also note not to remove the metal clip.

Engine is to be started in inspection mode for leak check.

Starship16 likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, prius low oil pressure warning light does not come on until damage is done.

Starship16 likes this.
  15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How much oil would actually drip onto the ground? Is some of the oil trapped in the pan that covers the bottom of the car? I sure hope the dealer mechanics get it right. (So far, they have with my car.) All owners should be reminded to more frequently check their oil -- especially during the first few weeks after all oil changes.

#15 Starship16, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a conversion to canister kit. It's not trivial to do though. Haven't got a link at the moment.

Still, think I will just be vigilant.

scona and Starship16 like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Something here:

Oil Filter Conversion | PriusChat

There's a comment:

Suggestion:
    You should have a parts listing somewhere between steps 2 and 3. Granted the picture shows the parts but some of those part numbers are hard to read.

^ I'd concur, it'd be nice to see an itemized shopping list, a "bill of material". Not to mention cost for all this. Maybe I'll ferret it out, reading the text and referring to the pictures.

Addendum: the parts numbers are in there, just below the picture with all the parts, in small text. Here's a summary from that site:

Part numbers:

Bracket- 15609-0T060
    O-rings- 96723-24020 (2 req'd.)
    Union- 90904-04006
    Filter- 90915-YZZF2

And looking up those part numbers on McGeorge Toyota, more succinct descriptions and their prices:

Filter Housing p/n: 15609-0T060 ($75.43)
    Filter Housing O-Ring p/n: 96723-24020 ($2.36) (2 req'd.)
    Oil Filter Adapter p/n: 90904-04006 ($11.00)
    Oil Filter p/n: 90915-YZZF2 ($3.75)

Total cost comes to: $94.90.

#17 Mendel Leisk, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  18. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should check the fluids at every fill up.

19. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    But very few car owners do. And I would guess that about 75% of Priuschat members don't even do it.

I know friends and coworkers that have never checked their air pressure or oil level. They just wait and let the oil change guys do it. But you can't even trust those guys to get it right, or they lie.

#19 Starship16, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Tande likes this.
  20. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At prius meet ups, I practice that all the time. Some even said it won't get any cleaner than that, even wipe the inside of the filter it dry as possible and the threads.

mjoo likes this.