1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maximizing battery health - Heat and State of Charge

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by m8547, Jun 12, 2019.

1. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I would guess they do, and that they know orders of magnitude more about hybrid battery performance than either of us.

2. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They provide a long warranty on the battery. It's pretty much guaranteed that they have extensively characterized how environmental conditions affect it, otherwise they'd be taking on a huge risk.

But the warranty specifically says that reduction in capacity is not covered, and "in order to lessen the possibility of capacity reduction, follow the directions listed in the owners manual under "capacity reduction of the hybrid battery (traction battery)".

I suspect it's too complicated to say how much different factors affect the battery capacity. They could give us temperature and time vs capacity loss curves, but that's too much information for 99% of drivers, and it's also proprietary information that they might not want to share with their competitors.

But it's clear that the capacity will inevitably decrease, and that there are things we can do to reduce that. How much it matters, we don't know yet.

Maybe parking in the shade instead of the sun every day won't make any significant difference over the life of the car. Or maybe it could mean an extra 10% capacity available in a few years.

Arctic_White and jb in NE like this.
  3. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Here are some additional examples from the manual where a specific number is not provided for a predicted change. They don't put numbers or charts in there because there is no single number or chart that will apply to all drivers and driving conditions.

"Under-inflation also reduces fuel efficiency and tire tread life, and may affect the vehicle’s handling and stopping ability."

"The EV driving range will vary in accordance with conditions such as vehicle speed, the amount of charge remaining in the hybrid battery (traction battery) and the usage of the air conditioning system."

"Restrain your speed as much as possible. The distance that can be driven in EV/EV auto mode will reduce considerably at high speeds."

"Avoid repeated acceleration. Repeated acceleration consumes hybrid battery (traction battery) power, resulting in poor fuel consumption."

Arctic_White likes this.
  4. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a slightly different thought on all of this, I sometimes "Drive It Like I Stole It".

Then someday in the future, maybe at 100K to 150K miles I will sell it and buy my next Drive It Like I Stole It car.

Rob43

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why i haven't bought a used car since i was a teenager :p

Arctic_White, John321 and Rob43 like this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just try to do what the manual says, as often as I can. The car will protect itself as well as it can and I try not to make that any harder for it to do than necessary in the "Sunshine State."

So, I park in the shade where I can. I use a sun shade if not in the shade. I keep the tonneau cover in place. I use the timer and the climate control whenever possible. And then I drive it even though, if I really took the manual literally, I'd never get it out of the garage. Everything has a lifespan and most of us want our stuff to last, but in the final analysis, it's meant to be used and enjoyed. I enjoy the heck out of mine.

7. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    These cars are like anything in life, if you can't enjoy them...

One of my favorite things to do with my Prime: When it rains I always look around for V8 Mustangs & Camaros (or similar), then if possible I get besides them at a traffic light, when the light goes green I take off HARD & top out to about ~40 mph. This throws the drivers of these RWD higher HP cars into fits, all I hear behind me to the next traffic light is high RPM sound & wheel spin.... I Laugh & Laugh & Laugh.

Rob43

Arctic_White likes this.
  8. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm with you. Cars are meant to be driven, but if there are things I can do to extend their life, then I do them.

Arctic_White and Rob43 like this.
  9. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Stopsign drag racing in a Prius. Who would have guessed. Do you have your pink slip on the dash?

Arctic_White and Rob43 like this.
  10. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's really not done often, but on that rare occasion it sure is fun.

Rob43

PS, most of the time I hyper mile just many of us.

Arctic_White likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can't endorse it, but I can laugh about it. :D:LOL:

Arctic_White likes this.
  12. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Arctic_White likes this.
  13. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I floor it probably half the time I'm accelerating in EV mode. It's just too much fun, and it's also too slow if I don't get a head start from low speed. I'm aware that that heats up the battery.

But changing where I park or when I charge takes very little effort, and it's also kind of fun in a different way to optimize things.

I think of it almost as a disposable car. There's so much technology that cars now don't seem to be designed to be maintained and repaired for a long time. But if I can drive it for 8 years and sell it at around 100k miles for a reasonable price I'll get my money's worth from it. If I spend $2000 a year on depreciation and almost nothing on fuel or maintenance it's still cheaper than driving my old SUV which takes at least $1000 a year in maintenance and more than that in fuel. And then I get to drive a newer more efficient car.

But I still want to take care of it and keep it nice for the time I own it.

Arctic_White and EazyPeazy like this.
  14. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No doubt that both of those statements are correct.

The problem often IS......that the people who are writing the manuals are not the ones who know about the real world performance.
    I can't help but get the feeling that somebody at the factory said: "Get some information about the batteries and put it HERE." And that's what the manual writer DID.

Kind of like people who post PAGES of real information in answer to questions posed here.......that may or may not actually be related to the original question.

Also......since the information is really about LI batteries, some or most of it likely does NOT apply to all hybrid models.

15. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It sounds like you don't want to believe what's in the manual concerning battery life. If you are looking for specific numbers for degradation percentage in the manual, you aren't going to find them. Putting numbers in there could be construed as an implied warranty, and that's not going to happen.

Are there statements in the battery degradation section of the manual that appear to be technically incorrect?

16. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No. But if they are technically insignificant, what's the point ?
    Except maybe to make it look like they are are imparting some great wisdom to the owner.

Life is too short to worry about crap like that.
    You get a better understanding of that as your time winds down.

I quit.

John321 likes this.
  17. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    sam spade 2, I get what you are saying. In the scope of my life concerns, the future health of my plug in battery would not even make the top 100.

#37 John321, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    here's a challenge - talk to your Toyota sales critter & ask him, "what % of capacity loss is considered to be a warranty issue?" The sales Critters' eyes will either glaze over, or he will baffle you with BS - or if they are honest, they'll say, "what do you mean?" .
    Most plug-in traction pack warranties simply refer to catastrophic failure, & not relatively quick or slow capacity loss. Of course this becomes the biggest issue when you live in States like New Mexico, Nevada, Texas, Central Valley California, Florida, & other southern states that often get 100° summer temps. Coastal Washington State? No big deal.
    The non-disclosure of this dynamic was what led to the 1st couple years of Nissan Leaf Vehicles getting a nominal class action remedy for premature capacity loss. Nissan knew it would happen, and never told the owners - of which I was one.
    Toyota is doing a disservice to its loyal customers by not letting customers understand what happens when you place a plug-in traction pack on 150° hot black asphalt. So unless a plugin is capable of being actively / thermally cooled - it's at the owners own peril, because minimal thermal management will certainly diminish ones capacity range much quicker.
    Burying the traction pack thermal management dynamic in the manual is a really chintzy way of letting owners understand what's going on with their expensive battery.
    Revisiting this old thread below - it'd appear hot Southern States might expect about a 15% capacity loss/degradation per year, presuming they are charging in hot areas during the day.
    Battery issues with 50% loss after 2 years | PriusChat
    So - RTFreekingM people!

#38 hill, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Arctic_White likes this.
  19. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rather than anecdotal opinions I like to talk facts when discussing battery performance
    Here is my experience:
    Our new Toyota 2008 Prius gas mileage = 45 to 48 mpg.
    Our 2008 Prius mileage after 12 years and 150,000 miles = 52 mpg.

The Prius battery pack must have gone through untold thousands and thousands of charge and discharge cycles in that time. Environment was the Southeast United States that is similar to a rain forest in Summer, scorching heat and constant humidity. Car was housed in a garage even in the hottest part of summer. Car never had a single hybrid battery or hybrid system failure in the entire time we owned it.

Toyota battery engineering is rock solid with decades of real world experience in this area of automotive technology.

My worry with Toyota or other automaker battery technology based on my experience = none.

Arctic_White and Mark57 like this.
  20. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Prime uses a lithium battery, which is a newer technology for Toyota. Lithium has known problems. The capacity can be degraded if it gets too hot, and it can be damaged if it's charged too fast when cold. Plus the Prime driving in EV mode puts a lot more demand on the battery than a standard Prius. More energy and power charging and discharging means more heat, but the cooling system for the Prime battery is about the same as a regular Prius despite the battery being much bigger.

I do hope that Toyota designed it to have the same reliability as a regular Prius battery, but they have also made questionable design decisions in the past.

I don't know all the history, but I think the early Nissan Leaf batteries lost capacity faster than people expected. And Honda had a generation or two where the batteries were terrible, and something like 1/3 of them failed during the expected life of the car. So there are definitely possible problems.

Also, because people keep mentioning it, batteries can't feel humidity. It does make the air conditioning work a little harder.

Arctic_White likes this.